Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: www.cdc.gov/alcohol/. Accessed December 10, 2004.
- Alcohol-attributable deaths and years of potential life lost due to excessive alcohol use in the U.S.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004; 53: 866-870
- Binge drinking among U.S. adults.JAMA. 2003; 289: 70-75
- Alcohol, coronary heart disease and stroke.Neuroepidemiology. 1998; 17: 288-295
- Epidemiological confounders in the relationship between alcohol and cardiovascular disease.in: Paoletti R. Klatsky A.L. Poli A. Zakhari S. Moderate alcohol consumption and cardiovascular disease. Kluwer, Dordrecht2000: 105-112
- Dies diet or alcohol explain the French paradox?.Lancet. 1994; 344: 1719-1723
- The J-shaped curve and changes in drinking habit.in: Chadwick D.J. Alcohol and cardiovascular disease. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester1998: 173-193
- Do known cardiovascular risk factors mediate the effect of alochol on cardiovascular disease.in: Chadwick D.J. Alcohol and cardiovascular diseases. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester1998: 159-172
- Average volume of alcohol consumption, patterns of drinking, and all-cause mortality.Am J Epidemiol. 2001; 153: 64-71
- Alcohol consumption and mortality among middle-aged men and elderly U.S. adults.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1705-1714
- Alcohol volume, drinking pattern, and cardiovascular disease morbidity adn mortality.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 155: 242-248
- Homocysteine and cardiovascular disease.Am Heart J. 2004; 148: 34-40
- Objectives and design of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. 1998 (Paper presented at American Statistical Association National Meeting, Dallas TX)
- Reliability and validity of measures from the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS).Social Prev Med. 2001; 46: S3-S42
- Government Printing Office, Washington DC: U.S2000 (Home and Gardening Bulletin 232.) Nutrition and your health dietary guidelines for Americans. 5th ed.
- Dental infection and the risk of new coronary events.Clin Infect Dis. 1995; 20: 588-592
- Demographic and sociological correlates of levels of drinking.in: American drinking practices. Rutgers Center on Alcohol Studies, New Brunswick NJ1969: 18-64
- Insights into causal pathways for ischemic heart disease.Circulation. 2004; 110: 1761-1766
- Anger proneness predicts coronary artery heart disease risk.Circulation. 2000; 101: 2034-2039
- The French paradox unmasked.Med Hypotheses. 1997; 49: 313-318
- Resveratrol, a phytoestrogen found in red wine. A possible explanation for the conundrum of the French paradox.Eur J Endocrinol. 1998; 138: 619-620
- Confounding and confounders.Occup Environ Med. 2003; 60: 227-234
- Epidemiology. Aspen Publications, Gaithersburg MD2000
- Choice of comparison group in assessing the health effects of moderate alcohol consumption.JAMA. 2001; 286: 1177-1178
- Roles of drinking pattern and type of alcohol consumed in coronary heart disease in men.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 109-118
- Drink to this: the evidence is growing: for most people, having one or two glasses of alcohol every day is healthier than not drinking at all.in: Health Science section, Boston Globe2004: C11 (April 6, C13.)
- The case for drinking (all together now: in moderation!). New York Times, 2002 (December 31)
- Diet, lifestyle, and the risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in women.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 790-797
- Drink to your health?.Scientific American. 2003; : 75-81
- When drinking helps.Sci News. 2003; 163: 155-156
Doyle M. Wine health claims allowed. Sacramento Bee. Available at: www.sacbee.com/content/lifestyle/taste/story/6213819p-7168466c.html. Accessed April 2, 2003.
US Department of Health and Human Services and US Department of Agriculture. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2005. Alcoholic Beverages. Available at: http://www.health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/document/pdf/Chapter9.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2005.
- Wine and your heart.Circulation. 2001; 103: 472-475
National Cholesterol Education Project. The detection, evaluation and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). Available at: www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3full.pdf. Accessed June 30, 2003.
- Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 1301-1307
- Effect of smoking cessation on mortality after myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 339-344
- Priorities among recommended clinical preventive services.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 21: 1-9