Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Physical activity and health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta GA1996
- Prevalence of no leisure-time physical activity—35 states and the District of Columbia, 1988–2002.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004; 53: 82-86
- Increasing physical activity.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001; 50: 1-14
- Physical activity and public health.JAMA. 1995; 273: 402-407
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss/index.asp. Accessed August 17, 2005.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2010, vol. II, 2nd ed. Available at: www.healthypeople.gov/Document/tableofcontents.htm. Accessed August 17, 2005.
- Neighborhood-based differences in physical activity.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1552-1558
- Walk and ride.J Public Transportation. 2001; 3: 1-23
- Built environments and mode choice.Transportation Res Part D. 2002; 7: 265-284
- Places to walk.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1519-1521
- Correlates of recreational and transportation physical activity among adults in a New England community.Prev Med. 2003; 37: 304-310
- The relative influence of individual, social and physical environment determinants of physical activity.Soc Sci Med. 2002; 54: 1793-1812
- Environmental factors associated with adults’ participation in physical activity.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 22: 188-199
- The association between urban form and physical activity in U.S. adults.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 23: 74-79
- Neighborhood environment, access to places for activity, and leisure-time physical activity in a diverse North Carolina population.Am J Health Promot. 2003; 18: 58-69
- How the built environment affects physical activity.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 23: 64-73
- Environmental correlates of physical activity in a sample of Belgian adults.Am J Health Promot. 2003; 18: 83-92
- Neighborhood inequalities in physical inactivity.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 60: 763-775
- Travel choices in pedestrian versus automobile oriented neighborhoods.Transport Policy. 1996; 3: 127-141
U.S. Department of Transportation. 2001 National Household Travel Survey. Available at: http://nhts.ornl.gov/2001/. Accessed August 17, 2005.
U.S. Department of Transportation. 2001 National Household Travel Survey user’s guide. Available at: http://nhts.ornl.gov/2001/usersguide/index.shtml. Accessed August 17, 2005.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The Surgeon General’s call to action to prevent and decrease overweight and obesity. Available at: www.surgeongeneral.gov/topics/obesity/calltoaction/toc.htm. Accessed August 17, 2005.
- Transit markets of the future. Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC1998
- The effect of income on car ownership.Transportation Res Part A. 2001; 35: 807-821
- Automobile dependence in cities.Environ Impact Assess Rev. 1996; 16: 279-308
- Rail transit in America. Victoria Transport Policy Institute, Victoria, BC, Canada2004
- Physical activity and coronary heart disease risk in men.Circulation. 2000; 102: 981-986
National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, Public Health Practice Centre (England). Health impact assessment gateway. Available at: www.publichealth.nice.org.uk/hiagateway. Accessed August 17, 2005.
Dannenberg AL, Bhatia R, Cole BL, et al. Growing the field of health impact assessment in the United States: an agenda for research and practice. Submitted to Am J Public Health (in press).
The Beltline Partnership. Friends of the beltline. Available at: www.beltline.org. Accessed May 12, 2005.
Quigley RJ, Taylor LC. Evaluation as a key part of health impact assessment: the English experience. Bull World Health Org 2003;81:415–9. Available at: www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/81/6/en/quigley.pdf. Accessed August 17, 2005.
Task Force on Community Preventive Services. Guide to community preventive services. Available at: www.thecommunityguide.org/pa/default.htm. Accessed August 17, 2005.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Promoting healthy eating and physical activity for a healthier nation. Available at: www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/promising_practices/promoting_health/index.htm. Accessed August 17, 2005.