Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
WHO. Preventing suicide: a global imperative. Geneva, Switzerland; 2014. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/131056/1/9789241564779_eng.pdf.
WHO. Public health action for the prevention of suicide: a framework. Geneva, Switzerland; 2012. www.who.int/mental_health/publications/prevention_suicide_2012/en/.
- National Survey on Drug Utilization and Health.USDHHS, Rockville, MD2010
- Leading causes of unintentional and intentional injury mortality: United States, 2000–2009.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 84-92https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300960
CDC. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS): cost of injury reports. Atlanta, GA. http://wisqars.cdc.gov:8080/costT/.
- Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2064-2074https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.16.2064
- Suicide and occupation in New Zealand, 2001-2005.J Occup Environ Health. 2008; 14: 45-50https://doi.org/10.1179/oeh.2008.14.1.45
- Occupation and suicide: Colorado, 2004-2006.Am J Ind Med. 2013; 56: 1290-1295
- Suicides among farmers in three southeastern states, 1990-1998.J Agric Saf Health. 2008; 14: 461-472https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.25282
- Farmers׳ suicides in the Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, India: a qualitative exploration of their causes.J Inj Violence Res. 2012; 4: 2-6https://doi.org/10.5249/jivr.v4i1.68
- Suicide and occupation: the impact of socio-economic, demographic, and psychiatric differences.Psychol Med. 2007; 37: 1131-1140https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291707000487
- Risk of suicide in medical and related occupational groups: a national study based on Danish case population-based register.J Affect Disord. 2011; 134: 320-326https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2011.05.044
- Mortality of a municipal worker cohort: III—police officers.Am J Ind Med. 1986; 10: 383-397https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700100406
- Suicide or undetermined? A national assessment of police suicide death classification.Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2010; 12: 89-94
- Police suicide—a web surveillance of national data.Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2009; 11: 17-23
- A comparative evaluation of police suicide rate validity.Suicide Threat Behav. 1996; 26: 79-85
- Suicide incidence and risk factors in an active duty U.S. military population.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: S138-S146https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300484
- Risk factors associated with suicide in current and former U.S. military personnel.JAMA. 2013; 10: 496-506https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.65164
- Prevalence and characteristics of suicide ideation and attempts among active military and veteran participants in a national health survey.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: S38-S40https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300487
- Suicide by occupation: does access to means increase the risk?.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2010; 44: 429-434https://doi.org/10.3109/00048670903487191
- Suicide mortality in the United States: differentials by industrial and occupational groups.Am J Ind Med. 1999; 36: 645-652https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199912)36:6<645::AID-AJIM7>3.0.CO;2-T
- Impact of 2008 global economic crisis on suicide: time trend study in 54 countries.BMJ. 2012; 347: 1-15
Bureau of Labor Statistics. BLS Handbook of Methods. Chapter 1: Labor Force Data received from the Current Population Survey. Washington, DC: U.S Department of Labor. www.bls.gov/opub/hom/homch1_a.htm.
CDC. Web-based injury statistics query and reporting systems: fatal injury reports. Atlanta, GA. www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/fatal_injury_reports.html.
- Deaths: Final Data for 2007.USDHHS, CDC, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MD2010
CDC. Web-based Injury Statistics Query and Reporting System (WISQARS). Atlanta, GA. www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/index.html.
- Occupational injury and illness classifıcation manual.U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, DC1992
- Standard Occupational Classification Manual.Bernan Associates, Lanham, MD2000
WHO. International statistical classification of diseases and related health problems. 10th revision. Geneva, Switzerland; 1992.
- Suicide and occupation: a review of the literature.J Occup Env Med. 1995; 37: 442-452https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-199504000-00016
- Suicide in the workplace: incidence, victim characteristics, and external cause of death.J Occup Med. 1989; 31: 847-851https://doi.org/10.1097/00043764-198910000-00011
- Examining occupational health and safety disparities using national data: a cause for continuing concern.Am J Ind Med. 2014; 57: 527-538https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.22297
- Sick and tired of being sick and tired: scientific evidence, methods, and research implications for racial and ethnic disparities in occupational health.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 221-226https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.2.221
- Suicide by occupation: systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Psychiatry. 2013; 203: 409-416https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.113.128405
- Shift-work and suicide ideation among police officers.Am J Ind Med. 2008; 51: 758-768https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20629
- Police suicide in small departments: a comparative analysis.Int J Emerg Ment Health. 2012; 14: 157-162
- Police Officer Suicide: Frequency and Officer Profiles.in: Shehan D.C. Warren J.I. Suicide and Law Enforcement. Federal Bureau of Investigation, Washington, DC2001
- Understanding suicide in Australian farmers.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2006; 41: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0007-1
- Work-related suicide in Victoria, Australia: a broad perspective.Int J Inj Contr Saf Promot. 2012; 19: 131-134https://doi.org/10.1080/17457300.2011.635209
- Suicide in selected occupations in Queensland: evidence from the state suicide register.Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2010; 44: 243-249https://doi.org/10.3109/00048670903487142
- Suicide in farmers in Scotland.Rural Remote Health. 2006; 6: 509
- Pesticide poisoning and depressive symptoms among farm residents.Ann Epidemiol. 2002; 12: 389-394https://doi.org/10.1016/S1047-2797(01)00298-8
- Methods used for suicide by farmers in England and Wales. The contribution of availability and its relevance to prevention.Br J Psychiatry. 1998; 173: 320-324https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.173.4.320
- Proportionate mortality ratio analysis of automobile mechanic and gasoline service station workers in New Hamphsire.Am J Ind Med. 1985; 12: 91-99https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700120110
- Occupational Mortality in the State of California 1959-1961.USDHHS, CDC, Cincinnati, OH1980
- Mortality by occupation and cause of death among men 20 to 64 years of age, United States, 1950.U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare, Public Health Service, Washington, DC1963
USDHHS. Office of the Surgeon General and National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention. National strategy for suicide prevention: goals and objectives for action. Washington, DC; 2012.
- Effects of a comprehensive police suicide prevention program.Crisis. 2012; 33: 162-168https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910/a000125
- Suicide prevention: leveraging the workplace.EAP Digest. 2009; 29: 18-21
WHO. Preventing Suicide: a resource at work. Geneva, Switzerland; 2006.
- Suicides at work: misclassification and prevention implications.Int J Occup Environ Health. 2005; 11: 246-253https://doi.org/10.1179/oeh.2005.11.3.246
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational suicide: census of fatal occupational injuries fact sheet. www.bls.gov/iif/oshwc/cfoi/osar0010.pdf.
- An analysis of workpalce suicides; 1992-2001.U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Compensation and Working Conditions. 2004;
- A Prioritized Research Agenda for Suicide Prevention:An Action Plan to Save Lives.National Institute of Mental Health and Research Prioritization Task Force, Rockville, MD2014
- Advancing training to identify, intervene, and follow up with individuals at risk for suicide.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: S216-S221