Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Executive Office of the President of the United States. White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity. Solving the problem of childhood obesity in a generation: report to the president. 2010. www.letsmove.gov/sites/letsmove.gov/files/TaskForce_on_Childhood_Obesity_May2010_FullReport.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2014.
The White House, Office of the First Lady. First Lady Michelle Obama Announces Nationwide Commitments to Provide Millions of People Access to Healthy, Affordable Food in Underserved Communities. 2011. www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2011/07/20/first-lady-michelle-obama-announces-nationwide-commitments-provide-milli. Accessed Septhember 29 2014.
New York City Departments of Health and City Planning and the New York City Economic Development Corporation. Going to market: New York City’s neighborhood grocery store and supermarket shortage. http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/pdf/going_to_market.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2014.
The Healthy Food Financing Initiative (HFFI). An innovative public-private partnership sparking economic development and improving health. 2014. http://thefoodtrust.org/uploads/media_items/hffi-one-pager.original.pdf. Accessed September 29, 2014.
- Disparities and access to healthy food in the United States: a review of food deserts literature.Health Place. 2010; 16: 876-884https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2010.04.013
- Fruit and vegetable intake in African Americans: income and store characteristics.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 29: 1-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.03.002
- Neighborhood characteristics associated with the location of food stores and food service places.Am J Prev Med. 2002; 22: 23-29https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(01)00403-2
- Food store availability and neighborhood characteristics in the United States.Prev Med. 2007; 44: 189-195https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.08.008
- Supermarkets, other food stores, and obesity: The Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities Study.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 30: 333-339https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.11.003
- Assessment of a government-subsidized supermarket in a high-need area on household food availability and children’s dietary intakes.Public Health Nutr. February 26, 2015; 2015: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980015000282
- The contextual effect of the local food environment on residents’ diets: The Atherosclerosis Risk In Communities Study.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 1761-1767https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.92.11.1761
- Associations of neighborhood characteristics with the location and type of food stores.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 325-331https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.058040
- Obesity and supermarket access: proximity or price?.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e74-e80https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300660
- How to identify food deserts: measuring physical and economic access to supermarkets in King County, Washington.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: e32-e39https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2012.300675
- Availability of healthy foods and dietary patterns: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 89: 897-904https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.26434
- Food-purchasing patterns for home: a grocery store-intercept survey.Public Health Nutr. 2006; 9: 384-393https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2006864
- Food category purchases vary by household education and race/ethnicity: results from grocery receipts.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1747-1752https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2007.07.007
- Household income differences in food sources and food items purchased.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2010; 7: 77https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-7-77
- Food store access and household fruit and vegetable use among participants in the U.S. Food Stamp Program.Public Health Nutr. 2004; 7: 1081-1088https://doi.org/10.1079/PHN2004648
- A multilevel analysis of socioeconomic (small area) differences in household food purchasing behaviour.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2004; 58: 208-215https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2003.011031
- Food venue choice, consumer food environment, but not food venue availability within daily travel patterns are associated with dietary intake among adults, Lexington Kentucky 2011.Nutr J. 2013; 12: 17https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-12-17
- Food companies’ calorie-reduction pledges to improve U.S. diet.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 174-184https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.09.064
The Nielsen Co. Nielsen Consumer Panel and Retail Measurement. www.nielsen.com/content/corporate/us/en/solutions/measurement/retail-measurement.html. Accessed September 29, 2014.
- Is the degree of food processing and convenience linked with the nutritional quality of foods purchased by U.S. households?.Am J Clin Nutr. 2015; https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.114.100925
- Monitoring foods and nutrients sold and consumed in the United States: dynamics and challenges.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 41-45
- Use of caloric and noncaloric sweeteners in U.S. consumer packaged foods, 2005-2009.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1828-1834
- The impact of community-level variables on individual-level outcomes theoretical results and applications.Sociol Methods Res. 2005; 34: 76-121https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124104273069
- Food access and obesity.Obes Rev. 2007; 8: 99-107https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00327.x
Euromonitor International. Trends in U.S. grocery retailing; 2014. www.euromonitor.com/trends-in-us-grocery-retailing/report. Accessed August 13, 2015.
- Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and other biomarkers of chronic disease in U.S. adults.Eur J Nutr. 2015; 54: 59-65https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-014-0685-0
- Dietary energy density is associated with obesity and the metabolic syndrome in U.S. adults.Diabetes Care. 2007; 30: 974-979https://doi.org/10.2337/dc06-2188
- Total and per capita value of food loss in the United States.Food Policy. 2012; 37: 561-570https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodpol.2012.06.002
IOM, National Research Council. The public health effects of food deserts: workshop summary. Washington, DC.; 2009.
- Trends in SSBs and snack consumption among children by age, body weight, and race/ethnicity.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2015; 23: 1039-1046https://doi.org/10.1002/oby.21050
- Ethnic disparities among food sources of energy and nutrients of public health concern and nutrients to limit in adults in the United States: NHANES 2003-2006.Food Nutr Res. 2014; 58: 15784https://doi.org/10.3402/fnr.v58.15784
- Food sources of energy and nutrients among adults in the U.S.: NHANES 2003-2006.Nutrients. 2012; 4: 2097-2120https://doi.org/10.3390/nu4122097
- Distance to store, food prices, and obesity in urban food deserts.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 587-595https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.07.005
- Community-level comparisons between the grocery store environment and individual dietary practices.Prev Med. 1991; 20: 250-261https://doi.org/10.1016/0091-7435(91)90024-X
- The impact of food prices on consumption: a systematic review of research on the price elasticity of demand for food.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 216-222https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2008.151415
- In-store marketing to children: U.S. food retailer practices abating childhood obesity.Portuguese J Marketing. 2012; 27: 78
- Food marketing and childhood obesity—a matter of policy.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 2527-2529https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp068014
- Exploring the role of the food environment on food shopping patterns in Philadelphia, PA, USA: a semiquantitative comparison of two matched neighborhood groups.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013; 10: 295-313https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph10010295
- There’s more to food store choice than proximity: a questionnaire development study.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 586https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-586
- Who participates in household scanning panels?.Am J Agric Econ. 2011; 93: 226-240https://doi.org/10.1093/ajae/aaq123
- Understanding differences in self‐reported expenditures between household scanner data and diary survey data: a comparison of Homescan and Consumer Expenditure Survey.Rev Agric Econ. 2009; 31: 470-492https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9353.2009.01449.x
- Turning point for U.S. diets? Recessionary effects or behavioral shifts in foods purchased and consumed.Am J Clin Nutr. 2014; 99: 609-616https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.113.072892