Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Interventions for smoking cessation in hospitalised patients.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 5: CD001837https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd001837.pub3
- Nursing interventions for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;
- Intensive smoking cessation counseling versus minimal counseling among hospitalized smokers treated with transdermal nicotine replacement: a randomized trial.Am J Med. 2003; 114: 555-562https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(03)00081-0
- Implementation of evidence-based tobacco use cessation guidelines in managed care organizations.Ann Behav Med. 2004; 27: 13-21https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm2701_3
- Awareness and use of tobacco quitlines: evidence from the Health Information National Trends Survey.J Health Commun. 2010; 15: 264-278https://doi.org/10.1080/10810730.2010.526172
- Implementation of an inpatient smoking cessation programme in a Veterans Affairs facility.J Clin Nurs. 2013; 22: 866-880
- A tailored smoking, alcohol, and depression intervention for head and neck cancer patients.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2006; 15: 2203-2208https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0880
- Protocol of a randomized controlled trial of the Tobacco Tactics website for operating engineers.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 335https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-335
- Effectiveness of the Tobacco Tactics Program in the Department of Veterans Affairs.Ann Behav Med. 2014; 48: 265-274https://doi.org/10.1007/s12160-014-9605-z
- Veterans Integrated Services Network (VISN) 11 Tobacco Tactics Team. Implementation of the Tobacco Tactics Program in the Department of Veterans Affairs.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 3-10https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-009-1075-9
Tobacco Use and Dependence Guideline Panel. Treating tobacco use and dependence: 2008 update. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK63952/. Published 2008. Accessed March 7, 2016.
- Dissemination of the nurse-administered Tobacco Tactics intervention versus usual care in six Trinity community hospitals: study protocol for a comparative effectiveness trial.Trials. 2012; 13: 125https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-125
- Internet, Mail and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method. 3rd ed. Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2009
- Development of the Tobacco Tactics logo: from thumb prints to press.Tob Induc Dis. 2012; 10: 6https://doi.org/10.1186/1617-9625-10-6
- Evaluation and costs of volunteer telephone cessation follow-up counseling for Veteran smokers discharged from inpatient units: a quasi-experimental, mixed methods study.Tob Induc Dis. 2015; 13: 4https://doi.org/10.1186/s12971-015-0028-9
Louisville Metro Department of Public Health and Wellness. Remember the 3 R’s. https://louisvilleky.gov/sites/default/files/health_and_wellness/educationalmaterials/wk11-_three_rs_handout.pdf. Accessed January 13, 2016.
Green CJ. Quit Smoking Aids—The 4D’s—Delay, Deep Breath, Drink Water and Do Something Else. http://ezinearticles.com/?Quit-Smoking-Aids---The-4Ds---Delay,-Deep-Breath,-Drink-Water-and-Do-Something-Else&id=3864747. Published 2010. Accessed January 13, 2016.
- Overview of the Consortium of Hospitals Advancing Research on Tobacco (CHART).Trials. 2012; 13: 122https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-122
- The International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision. Diseases and Injuries Tabular Index.
- Effectiveness of the derived Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test (AUDIT-C) in screening for alcohol use disorders and risk drinking in the US general population.Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2005; 29: 844-854https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ALC.0000164374.32229.A2
- Ware J.E. SF-36 Health Survey: Manual and Interpretation Guide. The Health Institute, New England Medical Center, Boston, MA1993
- Development and preliminary testing of the new five-level version of EQ-5D (EQ-5D-5L).Qual Life Res. 2011; 20: 1727-1736https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-9903-x
- An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies.Multivariate Behav Res. 2011; 46: 399-424https://doi.org/10.1080/00273171.2011.568786
- Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group.Stat Med. 1998; 17: 2265-2281https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(19981015)17:19<2265::AID-SIM918>3.0.CO;2-B
- Small sample correction for the variance of GEE estimators. Biometric J. 2003; 45: 395-409https://doi.org/10.1002/bimj.200390021
- Sustained care intervention and postdischarge smoking cessation among hospitalized adults: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 719-728https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.9237
- Intensive smoking cessation intervention reduces mortality in high-risk smokers with cardiovascular disease.Chest. 2007; 131: 446-452https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.06-1587
- The effectiveness of a nursing inpatient smoking cessation program in individuals with cardiovascular disease.Nurs Res. 2005; 54: 243-254https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200507000-00006
- Effectiveness of an inpatient smoking cessation program.J Hosp Med. 2011; 6: E1-E8https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.641
- Smoking cessation for hospitalized smokers: an evaluation of the “Ottawa Model.”.Nicotine Tob Res. 2010; 12: 11-18https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntp165
- Predictors of quitting in hospitalized smokers.Nicotine Tob Res. 2003; 5: 215-222https://doi.org/10.1080/0955300031000083436
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Tobacco Treatment Measures (TTM). www.jointcommission.org/assets/1/6/Tobacco%20Treatment%20Measures%20List1.PDF. Published 2011. Accessed February 2, 2012.
- Socioeconomic disparities in quit intentions, quit attempts, and smoking abstinence among smokers in four western countries: findings from the International Tobacco Control Four Country Survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2010; 12: S20-S33https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntq051
- Proactive telephone counseling for smoking cessation: meta-analyses by recruitment channel and methodological quality.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011; 103: 922-941https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr169
- The impact of smoking, alcohol consumption, and physical activity on use of hospital services.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 691-698https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.89.5.691
- The diagnosis of a smoking-related disease is a prominent trigger for smoking cessation in a retrospective cohort study.J Clin Epidemiol. 2006; 59: 82-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinepi.2005.05.003
- Changes in smoking associated with an acute health event: theoretical and practical implications.Ann Behav Med. 2007; 33: 189-199https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02879900
- Cigarette smoking, nicotine dependence, and motivation for smoking cessation in psychiatric inpatients.Can J Psychiatry. 2009; 54: 36-45
- Implementing best evidence in smoking cessation treatment for hospitalized veterans: results from the VA-BEST Trial.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2014; 40: 493-503
- Implementing a smoke-free medical campus: impact on inpatient and employee outcomes.J Hosp Med. 2010; 5: 51-54https://doi.org/10.1002/jhm.473
- Why assigning ongoing tobacco use is not necessarily a conservative approach to handling missing tobacco cessation outcomes.Nicotine Tob Res. 2009; 11: 77-83https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntn013
This article is part of a theme section titled Implementing Tobacco Cessation Interventions for Hospitalized Smokers