Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. QuickStats: prevalence of current depression among persons aged ≥12 years, by age group and sex—United States, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007–2010. www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6051a7.htm?s_cid=mm6051a7_w#x2013. Published 2012. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Early life exposure to cigarette smoke and depressive symptoms among women in midlife.Nicotine Tob Res. 2014; 16: 1298-1306https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu070
- Cigarette smoking and depression: tests of causal linkages using a longitudinal birth cohort.Br J Psychiatry. 2010; 196: 440-446https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.109.065912
- Tobacco smoking and depression: results of a cross-sectional study.Br J Psychiatry. 2010; 197: 413-414https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.197.5.413
- A longitudinal study on the causal association between smoking and depression.J Prev Med Public Health. 2010; 43: 193-204https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.3.193
- Cigarette smoking, stages of change, and major depression in the Canadian population.Can J Psychiatry. 2009; 54: 204-208
- DSM-III-R nicotine dependence in young adults: prevalence, correlates and associated psychiatric disorders.Addiction. 1994; 89: 743-754https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1994.tb00960.x
- Is smoking associated with depression and anxiety in teenagers?.Am J Public Health. 1996; 86: 225-230https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.86.2.225
- Tobacco smoking as a risk factor for depression. A 26-year population-based follow-up study.J Psychiatr Res. 2011; 45: 143-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2010.06.006
- Smoking cessation and the course of major depression: a follow-up study.Lancet. 2001; 357: 1929-1932https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(00)05064-9
- Smoking, smoking cessation, and major depression.JAMA. 1990; 264: 1546-1549https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1990.03450120058029
- Cigarette smoking and psychiatric comorbidity in children and adolescents.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002; 41: 1294-1305https://doi.org/10.1097/00004583-200211000-00010
- Maternal cigarette smoking and child psychiatric morbidity: a longitudinal study.Pediatrics. 1998; 102: e11https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.102.1.e11
- Predicting smoking cessation and major depression in nicotine-dependent smokers.Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 1122-1127https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.90.7.1122
- A population-based twin study of lifetime major depression in men and women.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1999; 56: 39-44https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.56.1.39
- Cigarette smoking and incidence of first depressive episode: an 11-year, population-based follow-up study.Am J Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 421-432https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwj058
- Effects of progression to cigarette smoking on depressed mood in adolescents: evidence from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.Addiction. 2008; 103: 162-171https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2007.02052.x
- Tobacco smoking as a risk factor for major depressive disorder: population-based study.Br J Psychiatry. 2008; 193: 322-326https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.107.046706
- Genetic epidemiology of major depression: review and meta-analysis.Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157: 1552-1562https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.157.10.1552
- Adolescent smoking and depression: which comes first?.Addict Behav. 2006; 31: 133-136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2005.04.010
ICPSR. National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 2013 (ICPSR 35509). www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/ICPSR/studies/35509. Accessed January 6, 2016.
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.4th ed. American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC1994