Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- What does epidemiology tell us about risk factors for herpes zoster?.Lancet Infect Dis. 2004; 4: 26-33https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(03)00857-0
- Acute pain in herpes zoster and its impact on health related quality of life.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 342-348https://doi.org/10.1086/421942
- A vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 2271-2284https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa051016
- A population-based study of the incidence and complication rates of herpes zoster before zoster vaccine introduction.Mayo Clin Proc. 2007; 82: 1341-1349https://doi.org/10.4065/82.11.1341
- Varicella in Americans from NHANES III: implications for control through routine immunization.J Med Virol. 2003; 70: S111-S118https://doi.org/10.1002/jmv.10364
- Prevention of herpes zoster recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1-30
- Acute/subacute herpes zoster: healthcare resource utilization and costs in a group of U.S. health plans.Pharmacoeconomics. 2007; 25: 155-169https://doi.org/10.2165/00019053-200725020-00007
- Incidence of herpes zoster, 1997—2002.Epidemiol Infect. 2005; 133: 245-253https://doi.org/10.1017/S095026880400281X
- Incidence of herpes zoster in patients with altered immune function.Infection. 2014; 42: 325-334https://doi.org/10.1007/s15010-013-0550-8
- Herpes zoster incidence among insured persons in the United States, 1993–2006: evaluation of impact of varicella vaccination.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: 332-340https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciq077
- Incidence and complications of herpes zoster: towards a global perspective.BMJ Open. 2014; 4: e004833https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-004833
Soni A, Hill SC. Average annual health care use and expenses for HZ among the U.S. civilian noninstitutionalized population, 2003–2005. Statistical brief #194. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. www.meps.ahrq.gov/mepsweb/data_stats/Pub_ProdResults_Details.jsp?pt=Statistical%20Brief&opt=2&id=842. Published December 2007. Accessed February 8, 2016.
- Evaluation of the cost-effectiveness in the U.S. of a vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults.Vaccine. 2007; 25: 8326-8337https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2007.09.066
WebMD. Shingles vaccine to be routine at 60. www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/news/20061025/shingles-vaccine-to-be-routine-at-60. Accessed August 11, 2016.
- Cost-effectiveness of a vaccine to prevent herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia in older adults.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 1280-1288https://doi.org/10.1086/514342
- Cost-effectiveness of vaccination against herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia: a critical review.Vaccine. 2014; 32: 1645-1653https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.01.058
CDC. BRFSS: overview–BRFSS 2014. www.cdc.gov/brfss/annual_data/2014/pdf/Overview_2014.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2016.
- Methodological changes in the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System in 2011 and potential effects on prevalence estimates.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 410-413
CDC. BRFSS—2014 summary data quality report. www.cdc.gov/brfss/annual_data/2014/pdf/2014_dqr.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2016.
- SUDAAN user’s manual, release 11.01.Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC2016
U.S. DHHS. Immunization and infectious diseases. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives/topic/immunization-and-infectious-diseases/objectives. Accessed February 10, 2016.
- Surveillance of vaccination coverage among adult populations—United States, 2014.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2016; 65: 1-36https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6501a1
- Surveillance of influenza vaccination coverage—United States, 2007-08 through 2011-12 influenza seasons.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 1-29
- Herpes zoster vaccination among adults aged 60 years or older in the United States, 2007: uptake of the first new vaccine to target seniors.Vaccine. 2009; 27: 882-887https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2008.11.077
CDC. NCHS Health E-Stat. Vaccination coverage estimates from the National Health Interview. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/vaccine_coverage/vaccine_coverage.htm. Accessed August 11, 2016.
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination among adults aged 65 years and older, U.S., 1989-2008.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 287-295https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.06.004
CDC. AdultVaxView. www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/coverage/adultvaxview/index.html. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Recommendations from the National Vaccine Advisory Committee: standards for adult immunization practice.Public Health Rep. 2014; 129: 115-123
- Barriers to the use of herpes zoster vaccine.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 555-560https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-152-9-201005040-00005
- State health department structure and pandemic planning.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2010; 16: E1-E7https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181b83475
- State trends in health risk factors and receipt of clinical preventive services among U.S. adults during the 1990s.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2659-2667https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.287.20.2659
- State and sex specific prevalence of selected characteristics—Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 1996 and 1997.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000; 49: 1-39
- Surveillance for certain health behaviors among selected local areas—United States, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2011.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 1-149
CDC. FluVaxView. www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/. Accessed March 9, 2016.
Guide to Community Preventive Services. www.thecommunityguide.org/index.html. Accessed February 11, 2016.
- Update on recommendations for use of herpes zoster vaccine.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 729-731
- Influenza vaccination trends among adults 65 years or older in the United States, 1989-2002.Arch Intern Med. 2005; 165: 1849-1856https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.165.16.1849
- Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination of adults aged ≥65: racial/ethnic differences.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 29: 412-420https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.08.012
- Hepatitis B vaccination coverage among adults—United States, 2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006; 55: 509-511
- Racial and ethnic disparities in vaccination coverage among adult populations—United States, 2012.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49(6): S412-S425
Public Health England. Herpes zoster (shingles) immunization program 2013/2014: report from England. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/383018/ShinglesReport2014.pdf. Accessed March 9, 2016.
- Racial/ethnic differences in adult vaccination among individuals with diabetes.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 324-329https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.2.324
- Impact of health insurance status on vaccination coverage among adult populations—United States, 2012.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 48: 647-661https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.12.008
- Gender differences in utilization of preventive care services in the United States.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21: 140-145https://doi.org/10.1089/jwh.2011.2876
- Influenza and pneumococcal vaccine receipt in older persons with chronic disease: a population-based study.Med Care. 1999; 37: 502-509https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199905000-00009
- Participation in health promotion programs by the rural elderly.Am J Prev Med. 1995; 11: 46-53
- Hepatitis B vaccination coverage among high-risk adults 18-49 years, U.S., 2009.Vaccine. 2011; 29: 7049-7057https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2011.07.030
- Uptake of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination among working-age adults with underlying medical conditions, United States, 2009.Am J Epidemiol. 2012; 175: 827-837https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwr376
- Intermittent lack of health insurance coverage and use of preventive services.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 130-137https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.1.130
Beal AC, Doty MM, Hernandez SE, Shea KK, Davis K. Closing the divide: how medical homes promote equity in health care—results from the Commonwealth Fund 2006 Health Care Quality Survey. The commonwealth Fund, New York, NY. www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/fund-reports/2007/jun/closing-the-divide--how-medical-homes-promote-equity-in-health-care--results-from-the-commonwealth-f. Accessed February 11, 2016.
- Self-report compared to electronic medical record across eight adult vaccines: do results vary by demographic factors?.Vaccine. 2013; 31: 3928-3935https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2013.06.041
- Preventing herpes zoster through vaccination.Ophthalmology. 2008; 115(2): S35-S38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2007.10.015
- Vaccination strategies for the prevention of herpes zoster and postherpetic neuralgia..J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 57(6): S143-S147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2007.09.017
- Young vaccines provided by family physicians.Ann Fam Med. 2010; 8: 507-510https://doi.org/10.1370/afm.1185
- Retrospective financial analysis of a herpes zoster vaccination program from an independent community pharmacy perspective.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2009; 49: 12-17https://doi.org/10.1331/JAPhA.2009.08030
- Effect of pharmacist intervention on herpes zoster vaccination in community pharmacies.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013; 53: 46-53https://doi.org/10.1331/JAPhA.2013.12019
- Advocating zoster vaccination in a community pharmacy through use of personal selling.J Am Pharm Assoc. 2013; 53: 70-77https://doi.org/10.1331/JAPhA.2013.11097
- Improving herpes zoster vaccination rates through use of a clinical pharmacist and a personal health record.Am J Med. 2013; 126: e1-e6https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjmed.2013.02.018
- Task Force on Community Preventive Services: interventions to improve influenza, pneumococcal polysaccharide, and hepatitis B vaccination coverage among high-risk adults: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 28(5): 248-279https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.02.016
- Task Force on Community Preventive Services: methods for conducting systematic reviews of targeted vaccination strategies for the guide to community preventive services.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 28(5): 238-247https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.02.012
- Standards for adult immunization practice.Am J Prev Med. 2003; 25: 144-150https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00120-X