Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Managing Overweight and Obesity in Adults: Systematic Evidence Review from the Obesity Expert Panel.NIH, 2013: 1-501
- Weight gain continues in the 1990s: 10-year trends in weight and overweight from the CARDIA study. Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 151: 1172-1181https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a010167
- Ethnic differences in body mass index trajectories from adolescence to adulthood: a focus on Hispanic and Asian subgroups in the United States.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e72983https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0072983
- The natural history of the development of obesity in a cohort of young U.S. adults between 1981 and 1998.Ann Intern Med. 2002; 136: 857-864https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-136-12-200206180-00006
- Transition to overweight or obesity among women of reproductive age.J Womens Health. 2011; 20: 703-707https://doi.org/10.10.1089/jwh.2010.2397
- Overweight in early adulthood, adult weight change, and risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and certain cancers in men: a cohort study.Am J Epidemiol. 2014; 179: 1353-1365https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwu052
- Long-term impact of overweight and obesity in childhood and adolescence on morbidity and premature mortality in adulthood: systematic review.Int J Obes. 2011; 35: 891-898https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2010.222
- Weight-related dietary behaviors in young adults.Curr Obes Rep. 2016; 5: 23-29https://doi.org/10.1007/s13679-016-0189-8
- Alcohol, appetite and energy balance: is alcohol intake a risk factor for obesity?.Physiol Behav. 2010; 100: 82-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2010.01.012
- Changes in alcohol consumption: United States, 2001-2002 to 2012-2013.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015; 148: 56-61https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.12.016
- What we have learned from the Harvard School of Public Health College Alcohol Study: Focusing attention on college student alcohol consumption and the environmental conditions that promote it.J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2008; 69: 481-490https://doi.org/10.15288/jsad.2008.69.481
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. Helping patients who drink too much: a clinician’s guide updated edition. https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/practitioner/cliniciansguide2005/clinicians_guide.htm. Published 2005. Accessed March 13, 2016.
- Alcohol consumption and obesity: an update.Curr Obes Rep. 2015; 4: 122-130https://doi.org/10.1007/s13679-014-0129-4
- Drinking patterns and body mass index in never smokers: National Health Interview Survey, 1997-2001.Am J Epidemiol. 2005; 161: 368-376https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwi061
- Analysis of NHANES 1999-2002 data reveals noteworthy association of alcohol consumption with obesity.Ann Gastroenterol. 2014; 27: 250-257
- The relationship between alcohol use, eating habits and weight change in college freshmen.Eat Behav. 2008; 9: 504-508https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eatbeh.2008.06.005
- Skipping breakfast, alcohol consumption and physical inactivity as risk factors for overweight and obesity in adolescents: results of the E-MOVO project.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2007; 63: 405-412https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ejcn.1602950
Harris KM The Add Health Study: design and accomplishments. www.cpc.unc.edu/projects/addhealth/data/guides. Published 2013. Accessed March 30, 2016.
- The National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health (Add Health), Waves I & II, 1994–1996; Wave III, 2001–2002; Wave IV, 2007-2009.Chap Hill NC Carol Popul Cent Univ N C Chap Hill. 2009; https://doi.org/10.3886/ICPSR27021.v9
- Rethinking Drinking: Alcohol and Your Health.DHHS, Rockville, MD: U.S.2016: 1-18
- The application of audio computer-assisted self-interviews (ACASI) to collect self-reported health data: an overview.Caries Res. 2013; 47: 40-45
- Department of Health and Human Services: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Newsletter.NIAAA, Bethesda, MD2004
- Is beer consumption related to measures of abdominal and general obesity? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Nutr Rev. 2013; 71: 67-87https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2012.00548.x
- The effect of alcohol consumption on later obesity in early adulthood—a population-based longitudinal study.Alcohol Alcohol. 2010; 45: 173-179https://doi.org/10.1093/alcalc/agp090
- The Freshman 15: a critical time for obesity intervention or media myth?.Soc Sci Q. 2011; 92: 1389-1407https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6237.2011.00823.x
- Effects of categorization and self-report bias on estimates of the association between obesity and mortality.Ann Epidemiol. 2015; 25: 907-911https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2015.07.012
- Impulses got the better of me: alcohol moderates the influence of implicit attitudes toward food cues on eating behavior.J Abnorm Psychol. 2008; 117: 420-427https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-843X.117.2.420
- Alcohol use, eating patterns, and weight behaviors in a university population.Am J Health Behav. 2009; 33: 227-237https://doi.org/10.5993/AJHB.33.3.1
Sobell LC, Sobell MC. Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers-No.-1995, Second Edition 2003. Vol 2. 2nd ed.; http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/guide.htm. Published 2003. Accessed October 21, 2016.
- Adolescent sexual behavior, drug use, and violence: increased reporting with computer survey technology.Science. 1998; 280: 867-873https://doi.org/10.1126/science.280.5365.867
- Monitoring the Future National Survey Results on Drug Use, 1975-2014: Volume II, College Students and Adults Ages 19-55. Vol 2. Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan, Vol 2. Ann Arbor2015
- Electronic Check Up to Go.San Diego State University Research Foundation, 2009