Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
National Health Service. Stop smoking treatments. www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Smoking-(quitting)/Pages/Treatment.aspx. Accessed December 15, 2016.
Public Health Wales. Public Health Wales issues updated advice on e-cigarettes. www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/news/43873. Accessed February 10, 2017.
NHS Health Scotland. Consensus statement on e-cigarettes. www.healthscotland.scot/media/1576/e-cigarettes-consensus-statement_sep-2017.pdf. Accessed November 28, 2017.
- Use of e-cigarettes among current smokers: associations among reasons for use, quit intentions, and current tobacco use.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 1228-1234https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv003
- Attitudes toward e-cigarettes, reasons for initiating e-cigarette use, and changes in smoking behavior after initiation: a pilot longitudinal study of regular cigarette smokers.Open J Prev Med. 2014; 4: 789-800https://doi.org/10.4236/ojpm.2014.410089
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1629-1637https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61842-5
- EffiCiency and Safety of an eLectronic cigAreTte (ECLAT) as tobacco cigarettes substitute: a prospective 12-month randomized control design study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e66317https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0066317
- E-cigarettes and smoking cessation in real-world and clinical settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4: 116-128https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-2600(15)00521-4
- E-cigarette use in young Swiss men: is vaping an effective way of reducing or quitting smoking?.Swiss Med Wkly. 2016; 146: w14271https://doi.org/10.4414/smw.2016.14271
- Cohort study of electronic cigarette use: effectiveness and safety at 24 months.Tob Control. 2016; 26: 284-292https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052822
- Concurrent e-cigarette use during tobacco dependence treatment in primary care settings: association with smoking cessation at three and six months.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 19: 183-189https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw218
- Associations between e-cigarette type, frequency of use, and quitting smoking: findings from a longitudinal online panel survey in Great Britain.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 1187-1194https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv078
- A longitudinal study of electronic cigarette use in a population-based sample of adult smokers: association with smoking cessation and motivation to quit.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 127-133https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu200
- Long-term e-cigarette use and smoking cessation: a longitudinal study with U.S. population.Tob Control. 2016; 25: i90-i95https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2016-053096
- Prevalence of population smoking cessation by electronic cigarette use status in a national sample of recent smokers.Addict Behav. 2017; 76: 129-134https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.08.002
- Two-year trends and predictors of e-cigarette use in 27 European Union member states.Tob Control. 2017; 26: 98-104https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052771
- Electronic cigarette use in the European Union: analysis of a representative sample of 27 460 Europeans from 28 countries.Addiction. 2016; 111: 2032-2040https://doi.org/10.1111/add.13506
Special Eurobarometer 429. Attitudes of Europeans towards tobacco and electronic cigarettes. http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_429_en.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed December 8, 2016.
- MPlus User’s Guide. 5th ed. Muthén & Muthén, Los Angeles, CA2007
- Statistical Analysis With Missing Data. 2nd ed. Wiley, New York, NY2002https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119013563
- Modeling incomplete longitudinal and cross-sectional data using latent growth structural models.Exp Aging Res. 1992; 18: 145-166https://doi.org/10.1080/03610739208253917
- A comparison of inclusive and restrictive strategies in modern missing data procedures.Psychol Methods. 2001; 6: 330-351https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.6.4.330
- Primer of Applied Regression and Analysis of Variance. 3rd ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY2016
- A practical guide to multilevel modeling.J Sch Psychol. 2010; 48: 85-112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsp.2009.09.002
- Association between electronic cigarette use and changes in quit attempts, success of quit attempts, use of smoking cessation pharmacotherapy, and use of stop smoking services in England: time series analysis of population trends.BMJ. 2016; 354: i4645https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.i4645
- Does the regulatory environment for e-cigarettes influence the effectiveness of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation?: Longitudinal findings from the ITC Four Country Survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 19: 1268-1276https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntx056
- E-cigarette use in the past and quitting behavior in the future: a population-based study.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1213-1219https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302482
- E-cigarettes: a scientific review.Circulation. 2014; 129: 1972-1986https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.007667
Royal College of Physicians. Nicotine without smoke: Tobacco harm reduction. www.rcplondon.ac.uk/projects/outputs/nicotine-without-smoke-tobacco-harm-reduction-0. Published 2016. Accessed December 27, 2016.
McNeill A, Brose L, Calder R, Hitchman S, Hajek P, McRobbie H. E-cigarettes: an evidence update: a report commissioned by Public Health England. www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/457102/Ecigarettes_an_evidence_update_A_report_commissioned_by_Public_Health_England_FINAL.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed December 27, 2016.
- Bias toward the null.Encyclopedia of Biostatistics. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., New York, NY2005https://doi.org/10.1002/0470011815.b2a03016
Special Eurobarometer 183. Smoking and the environment: actions and attitudes. http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_determinants/life_style/Tobacco/Documents/eb582_smoking_env_en.pdf. Published 2003. Accessed November 16, 2017.
Special Eurobarometer 332. Tobacco. https://ec.europa.eu/health/sites/health/files/tobacco/docs/ebs332_en.pdf. Published 2010. Accessed November 16, 2017.
- Profile of e-cigarette use and its relationship with cigarette quit attempts and abstinence in Kansas adults.Prev Med. 2014; 69: 90-94https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.09.005
- Electronic cigarette use and smoking abstinence in Japan: a cross-sectional study of quitting methods.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017; 14: 202https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14020202
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems and smoking cessation in Arkansas, 2014.Public Health Rep. 2017; 132: 210-219https://doi.org/10.1177/0033354916689611