Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Field MJ, Lohr KN, eds. Guidelines for clinical practice: from development to use. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 1992 (for Institute of Medicine).
- Evidence-based medicine.Hematol Oncol Clin N Amer. 2000; 14: 761-784
Mulrow CD, Cook D, eds. Systematic reviews: synthesis of best evidence for health care decisions. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 1998.
- The trials and tribulations of clinical practice guidelines.JAMA. 1999; 281: 1950-1951
- Report of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.JAMA. 1990; 263: 436-437
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services: report of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, 2nd ed., Washington, DC: Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, U.S. Government Printing Office, 1996.
Eddy DM. Clinical decision making: from theory to practice. A collection of essays from JAMA. Boston: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 1995.
Pignone MP, Phillips CJ, Atkins D, Teutsch SM, Mulrow CD, Lohr KN. Screening and treating adults for lipids disorders. Am J Prev Med 2001;20(suppl 3):77–89.
Briss PA, Zaza S, Pappaioanou M, et al. Developing an evidence-based guide to community preventive services: methods. Am J Prev Med 2000;18(suppl 1):35–43.
Meade MO, Richardson WS. Selecting and appraising studies for a systematic review. In: Mulrow CD, Cook D, eds. Systematic reviews: synthesis of best evidence for health care decisions. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 1998:81–90.
- Developing evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.Ann Rev Public Health. 1996; 17: 511-538
Battista RN, Fletcher SW. Making recommendations on preventive practices: methodological issues. Am J Prev Med 1988;4(suppl 4):53–67.
Mulrow C, Langhorne P, Grimshaw J. Integrating heterogeneous pieces of evidence in systematic reviews. In: Mulrow CD, Cook D, eds. Systematic reviews: synthesis of best evidence for health care decisions. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians, 1998:103–12.
Nelson HD, Helfand M. Screening for chlamydial infection. Am J Prev Med 2001;20(suppl 3):95–107.
Helfand M, Mahon SM, Eden KB, Frame PS, Orleans CT. Screening for skin cancer. Am J Prev Med 2001;20(suppl 3):47–58.
Wilson JMG, Junger G. Principles and practice of screening for disease. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1968 (Public Health Papers No. 34).
Frame PS, Carlson SJ. A critical review of periodic health screening using specific screening criteria. J Fam Pract 1975;2:29–36, 123–9, 189–94, 283–9.
- Users’ guides to the medical literature. XIX. Applying clinical trial results. A. How to use an article measuring the effect of an intervention on surrogate end points.JAMA. 1999; 282: 771-778
- Beware of surrogate outcome measures.Int J Tech Assess Health Care. 1996; 12: 238-246
- Assessing “best evidence”.J Qual Improv. 1999; 25: 470-479
- When to base clinical policies on observational versus randomized trial data.Ann Intern Med. 1997; 127: 697-703
- Problems in the “evidence” of “evidence-based medicine.” Am J Med. 1997; 103: 529-535
Oxman AD, Cook DJ, Guyatt GH, Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature: how to use an overview. JAMA 1994;272:1367–71.
- Assessing quality of a diagnostic test evaluation.J Gen Intern Med. 1989; 4: 288-295
Guyatt GH, Sackett DL, Cook DJ, Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature. I. How to use an article about therapy or prevention. A. Are the results of the study valid? JAMA 1993;270:2598–601.
Laupacis A, Wells G, Richardson WS, Tugwell P, Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. Users’ guides to the medical literature V. How to use an article about prognosis. JAMA 1994;272:234–7.
- Effect of general practitioners’ advice against smoking.BMJ. 1979; 2: 231-235
Eddy DM. Comparing benefits and harms: the balance sheet. JAMA 1990;263:2493, 2498, 2501.
- The use of balance sheets in developing clinical guidelines.J Am Board Fam Pract. 1999; 12: 48-54
- Primum non nocere and the quality of evidence.J Am Board Fam Pract. 2000; 13: 188-196
- Report of the International Workshop on Screening for Breast Cancer.J Natl Cancer Inst. 1993; 85: 644-656
- Ten-year risk of false positive screening mammograms and clinical breast examinations.N Engl J Med. 1998; 338: 1089-1096
- Variation in patient utilities for outcomes of the management of chronic stable angina.JAMA. 1995; 273: 1185-1190
- Differing perspectives on preventive care guidelines.Am J Prev Med. 1999; 17: 260-268
Coffield AB, Maciosek MV, McGinnis JM, et al. Priorities among recommended clinical preventive services. Am J Prev Med 2001. In press.