Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Anderson R. Deaths: leading causes for 1999. Natl Vital Stat Rep 2001;49:14.
Minino A, Smith B. Deaths: preliminary data for 2000. Hyattsville MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2001.
Freid V, Prager K, MacKay A, Xia H. Chartbook on Trends in the health of Americans. Health, United States, 2003. Hyattsville MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2003.
- Adolescent suicidal ideation and attempts.Clin Psychol. 1996; 3: 25-46
- Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 2001. In.MMWR. 2002; 51: 5-11
- An epidemiologic investigation of potential risk factors for suicide attempts.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1990; 25: 193-199
- Youth suicide risk and preventive interventions.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2003; 42: 386-405
- Suicide in adolescents with no apparent psychopathology.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1993; 32: 494-500
- Psychiatric diagnosis in child and adolescent suicide.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1996; 53: 339-348
- Psychosocial and risk behavior correlates of youth suicide attempts and suicidal ideation.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 837-846
- Longitudinal study of co-occurring psychiatric disorders and substance use.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998; 37: 322-330
- Association of adolescent risk behaviors with mental health symptoms in high school students.J Adolesc Health. 2002; 31: 240-246
- Drug use, sexual activity, and suicidal behavior in U.S. high school students.J School Health. 1995; 65: 222-227
Felts MWP, Chenier TP, Barnes RE. Drug use and suicide ideation and behavior among North Carolina public school students. Am J Public Health 1992;82:870–2.
- Suicidal ideation in adolescence.J Youth Adolesc. 1991; 20: 289-309
Rector RE, Johnson KA, Noyes LR. Sexually active teenagers are more likely to be depressed and to attempt suicide. Washington DC: Heritage Foundation, 2003.
Johnston LD, O'Malley PM, Bachman JG. Monitoring the Future national results on adolescent drug use: overview of key findings, 2002. Bethesda MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2003.
- Shaffer D, Pfeffer C, Issues WGoQ.Practice parameter for the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents with suicidal behavior. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 24-51
- Structure of health risk behavior among high school students.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1996; 64: 764-775
- Co-occurrence of health-risk behaviors among adolescents in the United States.J Adolesc Health. 1998; 22: 209-213
- Structure of problem behavior in adolescence and young adulthood.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1985; 53: 890-904
- Relationship between drug use and other problem behaviors in urban adolescents.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1992; 60: 705-712
- Aggression, substance use, and suicidal behaviors in high school students.Am J Public Health. 1993; 83: 179-184
- The sociol-psychological framework.in: Jessor R. Jessor S.L. Problem behavior and psychosocial development: a longitudinal study of youth. Academic Press, New York1977: 17-42
Lindberg LD, Boggess S, Williams S. Multiple threats: The co-occurrence of teen health risk-behaviors. In: Trends in the wellbeing of America's children and youth, 1999. Washington DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000:489–504.
- Patterns of health-compromising behaviors among Minnesota adolescents.Am J Public Health. 1996; 86: 1599-1606
- The association of sexual risk behaviors and problem drug behaviors in high school students.J Adolesc Health. 1996; 20: 377-383
- A pattern-oriented approach to studying individual development: snapshots and processes.in: Cairns R.B. Bergman L.R. Kagan J. Methods and models for studying the individual: essays in honor of Marian Radke-Yarrow. Sage, Thousand Oaks CA1998: 83-8122
Bearman PS, Jones J, Udry JR. The National Study of Adolescent Health: research design. Chapel Hill NC: Carolina Population Center, 1997. Available at: www.cpc.unc.edu/addhealth/design.
- Adolescent sexual behavior, drug use, and violence.Science. 1998; 280: 867-873
Hallfors D, Watson K, Khatapoush S, Kadushin K, Saxe L. A comparison of paper vs. computer assisted self interview for school alcohol, tobacco, and other drug surveys. Eval Prog Planning 2000:1–8.
Harris KM. The health status and risk behavior of adolescents in immigrant families. In: Hernandez D, ed. Children of immigrants: health, adjustments, and public assistance. Washington DC: National Academy Press, 1999:286–347.
- The logic and implications of a person-oriented approach.in: Cairns R.B. Bergman L.R. Methods and models for studying the individual. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks CA1998: 33-64
Bauer DJ, Shanahan MJ. Modeling complex interactions: person-centered and variable-centered approaches. In: Little TD, Bovaird J, Marquis J, eds. Modeling developmental processes in ecological context, 2004. In press.
- The CES-D Scale.Appl Psychol Measurement. 1977; 1: 385-401
- Epidemiology of depressive symptoms in the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2002; 41: 199-205
- Screening for adolescent depression.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1991; 30: 58-66
- Depressive symptoms and cigarette smoking among teens.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 748-755
- Suicidal behavior among Latino youth.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2001; 31: 122-131
- Youth suicide prevention.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 1998; 28: 150-164
- The Epidemiology of co-occurring addictive and mental disorders.Am J Orthopsychiatry. 1996; 66: 17-31
- Comparison of recommendations for adolescent clinical preventive services developed by national organizations.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998; 152: 193-198
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for depression. Washington DC: Agency for Health Care Research and Quality, Department of Health and Human Services, 2002.
- Screening for suicide risk in adults.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 822-835
- A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of fluoxetine in children and adolescents with depression.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1997; 54: 1031-1037
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy of depression and depressive symptoms during adolescence.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998; 37: 26-34
- The Texas Children's Medication Algorithm Project.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1999; 38: 1442-1454
- Efficacy of paroxetine in the treatment of adolescent major depression.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2001; 40: 762-772