Main Outcome Measure:
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Smoking before, during, and after pregnancy.Am J Public Health. 1990; 80: 541-544
- Postpartum relapse to smoking.Health Educ Res. 1992; 7: 381-390
- Postpartum return to smoking.Am J Health Promot. 1997; 11: 323-330
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Clinical practice guideline, treating tobacco use and dependence. Washington DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000.
- The Kaiser Permanente prenatal smoking-cessation trial.Am J Prev Med. 1999; 17: 161-168
- Preventing smoking relapse in postpartum women.Nurs Res. 2000; 49: 44-52
- Prevention of relapse in women who quit smoking during pregnancy.Am J Public Health. 1999; 89: 706-711
- Partner smoking status and pregnant smoker's perceptions of support for and likelihood of smoking cessation.Health Psychol. 1998; 17: 63-69
- Smoking reduction during pregnancy by a program of self-help and clinical support.Obstet Gynecol. 1992; 79: 924-930
- Smoking relapse prevention during pregnancy. A trial of coordinated advice from physicians and individual counseling.Am J Prev Med. 1998; 15: 25-31
- Integrating smoking cessation into routine public prenatal care.Am J Public Health. 1995; 85: 217-222
- Twelve-month follow-up of a smoking relapse prevention intervention for postpartum women.Addict Behav. 2000; 25: 81-92
- Neonatal health care costs related to smoking during pregnancy.Health Econ. 2002; 11: 193-206
Palmer CA, Baucom DH, McBride CM. Couple approaches to smoking cessation. In: Schmaling KB, Sher TG, eds. The psychology of couples and illness: theory, research, and practice. Washington DC: American Psychological Association, 2000.
Mullen PD, DiClemente CC, Carbonari J, et al. Project PANDA: maintenance of prenatal smoking abstinence six weeks postpartum. Paper presented at annual meetings of Society for Behavioral Medicine, Washington DC, 1996.
- Relapse prevention among women who stop smoking early in pregnancy.Am J Prev Med. 1995; 11: 178-184
- Smoking habits in early pregnancy and attitudes towards smoking cessation among pregnant women and their partners.Fam Pract. 1992; 9: 494-499
- Is pregnancy a time of changing drinking and smoking patterns for fathers as well as mothers? An initial investigation.Br J Addict. 1990; 85: 389-396
- Partner support and relapse in smoking-cessation programs.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1983; 51: 465-466
- Co-worker social support in a worksite smoking control program.J Appl Behav Anal. 1984; 17: 485-495
- Do social support interventions (“buddy systems”) aid smoking cessation? A review.Tob Control. 2000; 9: 415-422
- The social dynamics of cigarette smoking.Fam Process. 1986; 25: 453-459
- Empirically supported couple and family interventions for marital distress and adult mental health problems.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998; 66: 53-88
- Altering the course of marriage.J Fam Psychol. 2003; 17: 41-53
- Spouse-assisted coping skills training in the management of osteoarthritic knee pain.Arthritis Care Res. 1996; 9: 279-291
- Motivational interviewing: preparing people to change addictive behavior.Guilford Press, New York1991
- Stages and processes of self-change of smoking.J Consult Clin Psych. 1983; 51: 390-395
- The structure of social support.J Community Psychol. 1983; 11: 133-143
- Social support in pregnancy.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1993; 65: 1243-1258
- Dimensions of social support.Am J Community Psychol. 1987; 15: 73-77
- Assessing social support.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1983; 44: 127-139
- Sensitivity and specificity of saliva thiocyanate and cotinine for cigarette smoking.Addict Behav. 1991; 16: 161-166
At the time this manuscript was written, Dr. McBride was a faculty member at Duke University Medical Center and the Comprehensive Cancer Center in Durham, North Carolina.