Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Smoking among lesbians, gays, and bisexuals: a review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 21: 142-149
- Exploration of substance use among lesbian, gay, and bisexual youth: prevalence and correlates.J Adolesc Res. 1997; 12: 454-476
- The association between health risk behaviors and sexual orientation among a school-based sample of adolescents.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 895-902
- Effects of at-school victimization and sexual orientation on lesbian, gay, or bisexual youths' health risk behavior.J Adolesc Health. 2002; 30: 364-374
- Adolescent same-sex romantic attractions and relationships: implications for substance use and abuse.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 198-202
- Correlates of same-sex sexual behavior in a random sample of Massachusetts high school students.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 262-266
- Substance use behaviors among college students with same-sex and opposite-sex experience: results from a national study.Addict Behav. 2003; 28: 899-913
- Social influences on substance-use behaviors of gay, lesbian, and bisexual college students: findings from a national study.Soc Sci Med. 2003; 57: 1913-1923
- Health information and risk behaviors among lesbian, gay, and bisexual college students.J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2006; 18: 374-378
- Sexual identity and substance use among undergraduate students.Subst Abus. 2003; 24: 77-91
- Substance use and misuse: are bisexual women at greater risk?.J Psychoactive Drugs. 2004; 36: 217-225
- Sexual orientation and tobacco use in a cohort study of U.S. adolescent girls and boys.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2004; 158: 317-322
- Assessment of difference in dimensions of sexual orientation: implications for substance use research in a college-age population.J Stud Alcohol. 2005; 66: 620-629
- Adolescent homosexuality: psychosocial and medical implications.Pediatrics. 1987; 79: 331-337
- Methodology of the youth risk behavior surveillance system.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2004; 53: 1-13
- Gender: history, theory and usage of the term in sexology and its relationship to nature/nurture.J Sex Marital Ther. 1985; 11: 71-79
- Heterogeneity and causality: unit heterogeneity and design sensitivity in observational studies.Am Stat. 2005; 59: 147-152
- The association of consensual sexual intercourse during childhood with adolescent health risk and behaviors.Pediatrics. 1994; 94: 907-913
- Preventing tobacco use among lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youths.Nicotine Tob Res. 2005; 7: 249-256
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender youths: who smokes, and why?.Nicotine Tob Res. 2007; 9: S65-S71
CDC. Brief street interview/ quantitative interview. Atlanta GA, 2001.
- Sexual behavior in the human male.W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia1948
- Demography of sexual orientation in adolescents.Pediatrics. 1992; 89: 714-721
- Youth tobacco surveillance—United States, 2000.MMWR CDC Surveill Summ. 2001; 50: 1-84
- Reliability of the youth risk behavior survey questionnaire.Am J Epidemiol. 1995; 141: 575-580
- Youth risk behavior surveillance—United States, 1999.J Sch Health. 2000; 70: 271-285
- Monitoring the future national results on adolescent drug use: overview of key findings, 2001.National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda MD2002
- Impact of over-the-counter sales on effectiveness of pharmaceutical aids for smoking cessation.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1260-1264
Minnesota Department of Health, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, Minnesota Partnership for Action Against Tobacco, University of Minnesota. Patterns of smoking among Minnesota's young adults. www.health.state.mn.us.
- The young men's survey: methods for estimating HIV seroprevalence and risk factors among young men who have sex with men.Public Health Rep. 1996; 111: 138-144
Minnesota Department of Health Center for Health Statistics. Changes in tobacco use by Minnesota Youth, 2000–2005: Results from the Minnesota youth tobacco survey. 2005. www.health.state.mn.us.
U.S. Census Bureau. United States Census 2000. 2007. www.census.gov.
- Sampling flow of mobile human populations.Surv Methodol. 1991; 17: 183-194
- Sampling considerations in research on HIV risk and illness.in: Ostrow D.G. Kessler R.C. Plenum Press, New York1993
- Suicidality in a venue-based sample of young men who have sex with men.J Adolesc Health. 2002; 31: 305-310
- Evaluation of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention's HIV behavioral surveillance of men who have sex with men: sampling issues.Sex Transm Dis. 2005; 32: 581-589
- Time–space sampling in minority communities: results with young Latino men who have sex with men.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 922-926
- Trends in sexual risk-taking among urban young men who have sex with men, 1999–2002.J Natl Med Assoc. 2005; 97: 38S-43S
- Seroprevalence of HIV and risk behaviors among young homosexual and bisexual men.JAMA. 1994; 272: 449-454
- HIV prevalence and associated risks in young men who have sex with men.JAMA. 2000; 284: 198-204
- A venue-based method for sampling hard-to-reach populations.Public Health Rep. 2001; 116: 216-222
- Recruiting injection drug users: a three-site comparison of results and experiences with respondent-driven and targeted sampling procedures.J Urban Health. 2006; 83: 29-38
- Prevalence and predictors of club drug use among club-going young adults in New York city.J Urban Health. 2006; 83: 884-895
- High level of hepatitis B infection and ongoing risk among Asian/Pacific Islander men who have sex with men, San Francisco, 2000–2001.Sex Transm Dis. 2005; 32: 44-48
- Differences in club drug use between heterosexual and lesbian/bisexual females.Addict Behav. 2006; 31: 2344-2349
Harris Interactive. Six out of ten adults surveyed prefer smoke-free bars and clubs. 2003. www.harrisinteractive.com.
Harris Interactive. HIV/AIDS and heart disease should be nation's top health care priorities, according to new national survey of gays and nongays. 2003. www.harrisinteractive.com.