|FDA||Food and Drug Administration|
|FDCA||Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938|
|FOP||Front of Package|
|FTC||Federal Trade Commission|
|NLEA||Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990|
|QHC||Qualified Health Claim|
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- New front-of-package labeling initiative.
- Transcript for FDA's media briefing on front-of-pack labeling. FDA position on front-of-package labeling. October 20, 2009. Remarks of Dr. Margaret Hamburg, Commissioner of Food and Drug Administration.
Rubin v. Coors Brewing Co., 514 U.S. 476,481 (1995).
Zauderer v. Office of Disciplinary Counsel of the Supreme Court of Ohio, 471 U.S. 626, 651 (1985).
Central Hudson Gas & Electric Corp. v. Public Service Commission of New York, 447 U.S. 557, 564 (1980).
- Background information on point of purchase labeling.
Hawley K, Roberto CA, Bragg MA, Liu P, Schwartz MB, Brownell KD. The science on front of package food labels [working paper, 2011].
- Potential for improvement of population diet through reformation of commonly eaten foods.Public Health Nutr. 2008; 12: 325-330
Vyth EL, Steenhuis IHM, Roodenburg AJC, Brug J, Seidell JC. Front-of-pack nutrition label stimulates healthier product development: a quantitative analysis [working paper, 2010].
- Notices. Federal Register. Vol. 75, No. 82. April 29, 2010: 22602-22606
Harris JL, Thompson J, Schwartz MB. Nutrient claims on children's cereals: what do they mean to parents and do they influence willingness to buy? [working paper, 2010].
- Solving the problem of childhood obesity within a generation.May 2010
- Testing consumer perception of nutrient content claims using conjoint analysis.Public Health Nutr. 2010; 13: 688-694
- Assessing “fun foods”: nutritional content and analysis of supermarket foods targeted at children.Obesity Reviews. 2008; 9: 368-377
- Cereal F.A.C.T.S.: nutrition and marketing ratings of children's cereals.
21 CFR 101.1 et seq.
Pearson v. Shalala, 164 F.3d 650, 658–659 (D.C. Cir. 1999).
- Guidance for industry: evidence-based review system for the scientific evaluation of health claims—final. January 2009.www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/ucm073332.htm
U.S. Government Accountability Office. Food labeling. FDA needs to better leverage resources, improve oversight, and effectively use available data to help consumers select healthy foods. Report to the Chair, Subcommittee on Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies, Committee on Appropriations, House of Representatives, 2008 Sept.
- Front-of-package food labels: public health or propaganda?.JAMA. 2010; 303: 771-772
- Nutrition labels and health claims: the global regulatory environment.WHO, 2004
In re R.M.J., 455 U.S. 191, 203 (1982).
- Effects of strength of science disclaimers on the communication impacts of health claims.([working paper, 2005])
- Qualified Health Claims II. Experimental study of qualified health claims: consumer inferences about monounsaturated fatty acids from olive oil, EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, and green tea.
- Status of nutrition and health claims in Europe.Arch Biochem Biophys. 2010; 501: 6-15
- A front-of-pack nutrition logo: a quantitative and qualitative process evaluation in the Netherlands.J Health Commun. 2009; 14: 631-645
- Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2009; 120: 1011-1020
- Advancing public health obesity policy through state attorneys general.Am J Public Health. 2011; (In press)