Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in the U.S., 2006.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 516-524
- Alcohol-attributable deaths and years of potential life lost—U.S., 2001.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004; 53: 866-870
- Preventing excessive alcohol consumption, 2012.
- The intensity of binge alcohol consumption among U.S. adults.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 201-207
- Recommendations on privatization of alcohol retail sales and prevention of excessive alcohol consumption and related harms.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 428-429
- Recommendations for reducing excessive alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harms by limiting alcohol outlet density.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 6: 570-571
- Increasing alcoholic beverage taxes is recommended to reduce excessive alcohol consumption and related harms.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 230-232
- Pre-emption or prevention?.J Public Health Policy. 1998; 19: 37-50
- Assessing the impact of federal and state preemption in public health: a framework for decision makers.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2012; (in press (advance copy,))
U.S. Constitution, 10th Amendment.
U.S. Constitution, 21st Amendment.
- Intrastate preemption.Boston. L. Rev. 2007; 87: 1114-1175
Viva! International Voice for Animals v. Adidas Promotional Retail Operations, Inc., 41 Cal.4th 929, 935 (2007).
- Preemption and the obesity epidemic: state and local menu labeling laws and the Nutritional Labeling and Education Act.J Law Med Ethics. 2008; 36: 772-789
- The perils of preemption.American Medical Association, Chicago IL2001
- Tobacco industry litigation to deter local public health ordinances: the industry usually loses in court.Tob Control. 2004; 13: 65-73
- Preemption of local smoke-free air ordinances: the implications of judicial opinions for meeting national health objectives.J Law Med Ethics. 2008; 36: 403-412
- Why we control alcohol the way we do.in: Jurkiewicz C. Painter M. Social and economic control of alcohol: the 21st Amendment in the 21st century. CRC Press, New York NY2008: 1-18
- Land use planning and the control of alcohol, tobacco, firearms, and fast food restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2003; 93: 1404-1408
- Community control of alcohol and drug risk environments: the California experience.Subst Use Misuse. 2007; 42: 1835-1849
Floresta Inc. v. City Council, 190 Cal.App.2d 599, 605 (1961).
- The effectiveness of limiting alcohol outlet density as a means of reducing excessive alcohol consumption and alcohol-related harms.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 556-569
- Measuring law for evaluation research.Eval Rev. 2010; 34: 242-266
- Reducing community problems associated with alcohol sales: the case of deemed approved ordinances in California.Ventura County Behavioral Health Department, Oxnard CA2009www.venturacountylimits.org/resources/article/B881CB/reducing-community-alcohol-problems-associated-with-alcohol-sales-the-case-of-deemed-approved-ordinances-in-california
- Local control of retail alcohol availability in Georgia: a legal analysis.Alcohol Policy Consultations, Felton CA2011
- Local control of retail alcohol availability in Maryland: a legal analysis.Alcohol Policy Consultations, Felton CA2011
- Local control of alcohol availability in Nebraska: a legal analysis.Project Extra Mile, Omaha: NE2011
- The impact of strict state preemption on the regulation of alcohol outlet density: the case of New York State.Alcohol Policy Consultations, Felton CA2011
- Alcohol retail availability regulation in Wisconsin.www.alcoholpolicyconsultations.com/storage/Wisconsin%20Preemption%20State%20Analysis%2011%202011.pdf
- Liquor Control Law Reporter.CCH, Inc., Riverwoods IL2012 (intelliconnect.cch.com/scion/secure/index.jsp#page)
City of Oakland v. Superior Court, 53 Cal. App.4th 740 (1996), review denied.