Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Trends in energy intake among U.S. children by eating location and food source, 1977-2006.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 1156-1164
Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture. Diet quality and food consumption: food and nutrient intake tables. 2011. www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/DietQuality/data/foodandnutrient/index.htm-food.
CDC. 2011 national diabetes fact sheet. Diabetes public health resource, 2011. May 23, 2011. www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/estimates11.htm#1.
- Health and economic burden of the projected obesity trends in the U.S. and the UK.Lancet. 2011; 378: 815-825
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- New York bans most trans fats in restaurants.The New York Times, 2006 (Dec 6)
- California bars restaurant use of trans fat.The New York Times, 2008 (Jul 2)
Weeks C. McDonald's takes a small bite out of sodium content. The Globe and Mail 2010, May 25;Sect. L1.
- Fast feeders serve up fresh buzzwords; Chains attempt to imply “health” without turning off consumers, upsetting regulators.Advertising Age. 2011; (Mar 7)
- Development and evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005: technical report.Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, U.S. Department of Agriculture, 2007
- Evaluation of the Healthy Eating Index-2005.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 1854-1864
- Evaluating the food environment: application of the Healthy Eating Index-2005.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 465-471
- Healthfulness of the U.S. food supply: little improvement despite decades of dietary guidance.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 472-477
QRS Magazine. Top 50. 2011. www.qsrmagazine.com.
- Procedures for estimating nutrient values for food composition databases.J Food Composit Anal. 1997; 10: 102-114
- Maintaining a nutrient database in a changing marketplace: keeping pace with changing food products—a research perspective.J Food Composit Anal. 2001; 14: 315-322
- Accuracy and efficiency of estimating nutrient values in commercial food products using mathematical optimization.J Food Composit Anal. 1994; 77: 223-239
U.S. Department of Agriculture and DHHS. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. 7th ed. Washington DC, 2010.
Center for Science in the Public Interest. Nutrition labeling at fast-food and other chain restaurants. www.cspinet.org/nutritionpolicy/Nutrition_Labeling_Fast_Food.pdf.
Harris D. Study: are fast food restaurants really promoting health options? In: World News with Diane Sawyer. ABC News, 2010.
- Restaurant list more “healthy” menu items.Nation's Restaurant News, 2011 (Dec 20)
Industry News. Chefs pick local, healthy kids as top trends. QRS 2011, Dec 9.
Industry News. McDonald's overhauls Happy Meals to up health profile. QRS 2011, Jul 26.
Industry News. McDonald's introduces the new Fruit & Walnut Salad in a big way. QRS 2005.
- McDonald's trims its Happy Meal.New York Times, 2011 (Jul 26)
U.S. House of Representatives. The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Washington DC, 2010.
- Diet quality of low-income and higher income Americans in 2003-2004 as measured by the Healthy Eating Index-2005: Nutrition Insight 42.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, Alexandria VA2008
IOM Committee on Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake. Strategies to Reduce Sodium Intake in the U.S. Henney JE, Taylor CL, Boon CS, eds. Washington DC: National Academies Press, 2010
- The biasing health halos of fast-food restaurant health claims: lower calorie estimates and higher side-dish consumption intentions.J Consumer Res. 2007; 34: 310-314
- Can ‘low-fat' nutrition labels lead to obesity?.J Marketing Res. 2006; XLIII: 605-617
- Vital signs: food categories contributing to most to sodium consumption-U.S., 2007–2008.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 92-98
- Effects of fast-food consumption on energy intake and diet quality among children in a national household survey.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 112-118