Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Obesity stigma: important considerations for public health.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 1019-1028
CDC. HIV prevention strategic plan through 2005. 2001. www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/reports/psp/pdf/prev-strat-plan.pdf.
- Escalating coverage of obesity in UK newspapers: the evolution and framing of the "Obesity Epidemic" from 1996 to 2010.Obesity. 2012; 20: 1688-1695
- The stigma of obesity: a review and update.Obesity. 2009; 17: 941-964
- The impact of weight stigma on caloric consumption.Obesity. 2011; 19: 1957-1962
- Evidence, ethics, and values: a framework for health promotion.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 465-472
Puhl RM, Peterson JL, Luedicke J. Fighting obesity or obese persons? Public perceptions of obesity-related health messages. Int J Obesity 2012; doi:10.1038/ijo.2012.156
Freeman D.W. Are Georgia's anti-obesity ads unfair to fat kids? 2011. www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20059263-10391704.html.
Crary D. Do Georgia's child obesity ads go too far? 2011. www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/02/georgia-child-obesity-ads_n_856255.html.
- Obesity PSAs: are they working as a public service?.J Am Diet Assoc. 2008; 108: 25-28
- Exploring effectiveness of messaging in childhood obesity campaigns.Child Obes. 2012; 8: 97-105
- fear, stigma, and knowledge gaps: ethical issues in public health communication intervention.Bioethics. 2004; 18: 531-552
- Public health campaigns and obesity: a critique.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 136-153
- Ethics and prevention of overweight and obesity: an inventory.Obes Rev. 2011; 12: 669-679
- “I don't eat a hamburger and large chips every day!" A qualitative study of the impact of public health messages about obesity on obese adults.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 309-317
- “The solution needs to be complex." Obese adults' attitudes about the effectiveness of individual and population based interventions for obesity.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 420-428
Puhl RM, Peterson JL, DePierre J, Luedicke J. Headless, hungry, and unhealthy: a video content analysis of obese persons portrayed in online news. J Health Commun 2013; doi:10.1080/10810730.2012.743631.
- Obesity stigma in online news: a visual content analysis.J Health Commun. 2011; 16: 976-987
- Positive media portrayals of obese persons: impact on attitudes and image preferences.Health Psychol. 2012; 31: 821-829
- Obesity in the news: do photographic images of obese persons influence anti-fat attitudes?.J Health Commun. 2011; 16: 359-371
- Do you see what I see? Third-person effects on public communication through self-esteem, social stigma, and product use.Mass Commun Soc. 2001; 4: 127-147
- The VERB campaign logic model: a tool for planning and evaluation.Prev Chronic Dis. 2004; 1: A11
- New York anti-obesity ads pair soda, leg amputations.Reuters. 2012 10;
- E-mails reveal dispute over city's ad against sodas.New York Times, 2010 29
- Blame Photoshop, not diabetes, for this amputation.New York Times, 2012 25
Maisto M. Cheese makes you fat, says new ad campaign. 2012. www.forbes.com/sites/michellemaisto/2012/01/20/cheese-makes-you-fat-says-new-ad-campaign/.
- Obesity in the news: directions for future research.Obes Rev. 2012; 13: 554-559
- Data analysis using regression and multilevel/hierarchical models.Cambridge University Press, New York2007
Bureau USC. General demographic characteristics. U.S. Census Bureau, 2011. factfinder.census.gov/servlet/QTTable?-ds_name=PEP_2009_EST&-qr_name=PEP_2009_EST_DP1&-geo_id=01000US.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. How are overweight and obesity diagnosed? 2010. www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/obe/diagnosis.html.
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: E1-E7
- Fat land: how Americans became the fattest people in the world.Houghton Mifflin, New York NY2004
Gray E. Georgia anti-obesity ads say “stop sugarcoating” childhood obesity. Huffington Post 2012, Jan 3. www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/03/georgia-anti-obesity-ads-stop-sugarcoating_n_1182023.html#s585801.
Grinberg E. Georgia’s child obesity ads aim to create movement out of controversy. CNN 2012, Feb 7. www.cnn.com/2012/02/07/health/atlanta-child-obesity-ads/index.html.
- Confronting and coping with weight stigma: an investigation of overweight and obese adults.Obesity. 2006; 14: 1802-1815
- Internalized societal attitudes moderate the impact of weight stigma on avoidance of exercise.Obesity. 2010; 19: 757-762
- disordered eating behaviors, and psychological morbidities among overweight adolescents.Obesity. 2008; 16: S24-S29
- Barriers to routine gynecological cancer screening for White and African-American obese women.Int J Obes. 2006; 30: 147-155
- Internalization of weight bias: implications for binge eating and emotional wellbeing.Obesity. 2007; 15: 19-23
- Motivating or stigmatizing? Public perceptions of language about weight used by health providers.Int J Obes. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2013.17