Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Cutaneous melanoma attributable to sunbed use: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2012; 345: e4757
- The association of use of sunbeds with cutaneous malignant melanoma and other skin cancers: a systematic review.Int J Cancer. 2007; 120: 1116-1122
- Indoor tanning and risk of melanoma: a case-control study in a highly exposed population.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010; 19: 1557-1568
CDC. National Program of Cancer Registries (NPCR). 2013. www.cdc.gov/cancer/npcr/.
- An analysis of UVA emissions from sunlamps and the potential importance for melanoma.Photochem Photobiol. 1998; 68: 63-70
- Use of indoor tanning devices by adults—U.S., 2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61: 323-326
- Youth risk behavior surveillance—U.S., 2011.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2012; 61: 1-162
- The evolution of current medical and popular attitudes toward ultraviolet light exposure: part 3.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2003; 49: 1096-1106
Jemal A, Saraiya M, Patel P, et al. Recent trends in cutaneous melanoma incidence and death rates in the U.S., 1992-2006. J Am Acad Dermatol 2011;65(5S1):S17-25.e1-3.
- Years of potential life lost and indirect costs of melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer: a systematic review of the literature.Pharmacoeconomics. 2011; 29: 863-874
DHHS. Healthy People 2020. 2013. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx.
DHHS. The Secretary's Advisory Committee on National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention objectives for 2020: recommendations for the framework and format of Healthy People 2020. 2008. healthypeople.gov/2020/about/advisory/PhaseI.pdf.
Watson M, Holman D, Guy G, Fox K, Seidenberg A, Lazovich D. Preventing skin cancer through reduction of indoor tanning: the current state of the evidence. Am J Prev Med 2013;44(6):682–9.
- A more systematic review of correlates of indoor tanning.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2011; 25 (author reply 617–8): 610-616
Holman D, Watson M. Correlates of intentional tanning among adolescents in the U.S.: a systematic review of the literature. J Adolesc Health 2013;52(S5):S52–S59. Doi.10.1016/j.jadohealth.2012.09.021.
- Who uses sunbeds? A systematic literature review of risk groups in developed countries.J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2010; 24: 639-648
- A randomized controlled trial of an appearance-focused intervention to prevent skin cancer.Cancer. 2008; 113: 3257-3266
- Examination of the efficacy of an appearance-focused intervention to reduce UV exposure.J Behav Med. 2002; 25: 395-409
- Behavioral counseling to prevent skin cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 59-65
- Long-term effects of appearance-based interventions on sun protection behaviors.Health Psychol. 2007; 26: 350-360
- Patterns of indoor tanning use: implications for clinical interventions.Arch Dermatol. 2007; 143: 1530-1535
- New approaches to melanoma prevention.Dermatol Clin. 2012; 30: 405-412
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Color additives. Code of Federal Regulations title 21 (70), 2012.
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Sunless Tanners and Bronzers. Cosmetics. www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ProductInformation/ucm134064.htm.
Petersen AB, Wulf HC, Gniadecki R, Gajkowska B. Dihydroxyacetone, the active browning ingredient in sunless tanning lotions, induces DNA damage, cell-cycle block and apoptosis in cultured HaCaT keratinocytes. Mutat Res 2004;560(2):173-86.
- Use of artificial tanning products among young adults.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 54: 1060-1066
- Use of sunless tanning products among U.S. adolescents aged 11 to 18 years.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 987-992
- Attitudes toward indoor tanning among users of sunless tanning products.Arch Dermatol. 2012; 148: 124-126
- Harm minimization in tan seekers: an exploration of tanning behaviour and the potential for substitutional use of sunless tanning products.J Health Psychol. 2011; 16: 929-937
- Prevalence of sunless tanning product use and related behaviors among adults in the U.S.: results from a national survey.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007; 56: 387-390
- Use of fake tanning lotions in the South Australian population.Med J Aust. 2001; 174: 75-78
- Australians' use of fake tanning lotions: another piece of the puzzle.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2003; 27: 529-532
- Tanning dependence: is tanning an addiction? In:.in: Heckman C.J. Manne S.L. Shedding light on indoor tanning. Springer, London2012: 107-120
- Beneficial effects of UV radiation other than via vitamin D production.Dermatoendocrinol. 2012; 4: 109-117
- Evaluating a measure of tanning abuse and dependence.Arch Dermatol. 2012; 148: 815-819
- Prevalence and correlates of indoor tanning. In:.in: Heckman C.J. Manne S.L. Shedding light on indoor tanning. Springer, London2012: 33-68
- The effect of initial indoor tanning with mother on current tanning patterns.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 1427-1428
- Tanning device usage: what are parents thinking?.Pediatr Dermatol. 2007; 24: 216-221
Lazovich D, Choi K, Rolnick C, Jackson J, Forster JL, Southwell B. An intervention to decrease adolescent indoor tanning: a multi-method pilot study. J Adolesc Health 2013;52(S5):S76–S82.
- Council on Environmental H, Section on D. Ultraviolet radiation: a hazard to children and adolescents.Pediatrics. 2011; 127: e791-e817
- Behavioral counseling to prevent skin cancer: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2011; 154: 190-201
- A comparison of the efficacy of an appearance-focused skin cancer intervention within indoor tanner subgroups identified by latent profile analysis.J Behav Med. 2010; 33: 181-190
- A comparison of 2 brief intervention approaches to reduce indoor tanning behavior in young women who indoor tan very frequently.Arch Dermatol. 2008; 144: 1521-1524
- Indoor tanning attitudes and practices of U.S. dermatologists compared with other medical specialists.Arch Dermatol. 2006; 142: 465-470
Community Preventive Services Task Force. Preventing skin cancer: primary and middle school interventions. the guide to community preventive services: the community guide: what works to promote health. 2012. www.thecommunityguide.org/cancer/skin/education-policy/primaryandmiddleschools.html.
Community Preventive Services Task Force. Preventing skin cancer: education and policy approaches in secondary schools and colleges. The Guide to Community Preventive Services: The Community Guide: what works to promote health. 2012 www.thecommunityguide.org/cancer/skin/education-policy/secondaryschools.html.
- tanning advertisements in high school newspapers.Arch Dermatol. 2006; 142: 460-462
- Recommendations regarding interventions to reduce tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 10-15
Community Preventive Services Task Force. Preventing skin cancer: mass media. 2012. www.thecommunityguide.org/cancer/skin/community-wide/massmedia.html.
Danish Cancer Society and TrygFonden. Sunbed habits of children and young people in Denmark 2010. 2011. www.cancer.dk/NR/rdonlyres/069F9868-5721-4B9A-8016-D470A7AD4B0C/0/Sunhabitsofchildrenandyoungpeople2010.pdf.
Sinclair CA. Lessons learnt in sunbed advocacy and education: an international perspective. In: CDC Skin Cancer Informal Expert Meeting; Washington DC; 2012.
- Changes in skin tanning attitudes. Fashion articles and advertisements in the early 20th century.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2140-2146
Donnelly M. Relive the birth of “GTL.” MTV Remote Control Blog. 2012. remotecontrol.mtv.com/2012/08/30/jersey-shore-first-gtl-video/.
Siegal I, Battle P. New Jersey tanning mom denies charges of child endangerment. U.S. News. 2012. Siegal I., Battle P. New Jersey tanning mom denies charges of child endangerment. usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/02/11500434-new-jersey-tanning-mom-denies-charges-of-child-endangerment?lite
- New Jersey mom arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning booth.Health. 2012; (newsfeed.time.com/2012/05/02/new-jersey-mom-arrested-for-taking-5-year-old-to-tanning-booth/)
- Scary truths tanning salons deny.Cosmo's Practice Safe Sun. 2012; (www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/health/indoor-tanning-dangers-1209)
Berman J. Victoria Beckham joins the “Protect The Skin You're In” T-shirt campaign. NYU Langone Medical Center. 2008. communications.med.nyu.edu/media-relations/news/victoria-beckham-joins-protect-skin-youre-t-shirt-campaign.
Good Morning America. Once-“Tanorexic” teen tries to save others. 2007. abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnCall/story?id=3144868&page=1.
ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Skin cancer—the dangers of a deadly tan (and solariums). ABC's The 7:30 Report. 2007. www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KmHEJXYZrQ.
- Holding S. Mixed messages and a missed opportunity: Australian news media coverage of Clare Oliver's campaign against solaria.Med J Aust. 2008; 189: 371-374
- Changes in solarium numbers in Australia following negative media and legislation.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2009; 33: 491-494
- Sometimes it takes a loss of life to make a difference.BMJ. 2008; 336: 73
CITY100. Our findings. CITY100: Controlling Indoor Tanning in Youth. 2008. www.indoortanningreportcard.com/ourfindings.html.
- Density of indoor tanning facilities in 116 large U.S. cities.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 36: 243-246
- Adolescents' use of indoor tanning: a large-scale evaluation of psychosocial, environmental, and policy-level correlates.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 930-938
U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce—Minority Staff. False and misleading health information provided to teens by the indoor tanning industry. Investigative Report; 2012.
- Comparison of advertising strategies between the indoor tanning and tobacco industries.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010; 62 (685.e1–18)
Federal Trade Commission. In the matter of Indoor Tanning Association, a corporation. FTC File No. 0823159; 2010. www.ftc.gov/os/caselist/0823159/index.shtm.
State of Texas v. Curtis Ryan, Lynda Ryan, and Tony Ryan d/b/a Euro Tan. In: No. D-1-GV-10-000530. Travis City, TX; 2010. www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2010/040510eurotan_pop.pdf.
- Tanning beds, skin cancer, and vitamin D: an examination of the scientific evidence and public health implications.Dermatol Ther. 2010; 23: 61-71
- Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D.National Academies Press, Washington DC2011
- Vitamin D and cancer.IARC, Lyon, France2008
- Variability of pre-vitamin D3 effectiveness of UV appliances for skin tanning.J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2010; 121: 331-333
- Tobacco.in: Zaza S. Briss P.A. Harris K.W. The guide to community preventive services: what works to promote health? Oxford University Press, Atlanta GA2005: 3-79
- What public health strategies are needed to reduce smoking initiation?.Tob Control. 2012; 21: 258-264
- Tobacco industry consumer research on socially acceptable cigarettes.Tob Control. 2005; 14: e3
- International Agency for Research on Cancer, Working Group. Effectiveness of tax and price policies in tobacco control.Tob Control. 2011; 20: 235-238
Internal Revenue Service. Affordable Care Act tax provisions. 2012. www.irs.gov/uac/Affordable-Care-Act-Tax-Provisions.
- Implementation of the federal excise tax on indoor tanning services in Illinois.Arch Dermatol. 2012; 148: 122-124
- Promotion of frequent tanning sessions by indoor tanning facilities: two studies.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2002; 46: 700-705
CDC. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System. 2013. www.cdc.gov/HealthyYouth/yrbs/index.htm.
CDC. National Health Interview Survey. 2012. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm.
U.S. National Institutes of Health. HINTS. Health Information National Trends Survey. 2012. hints.cancer.gov/.
CDC. HealthStyles Survey. Gateway to health communication & social marketing practice. 2012. www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/ToolsTemplates/EntertainmentEd/HealthstylesSurvey.html.
- Estimation of avoidable skin cancers and cost-savings to government associated with regulation of the solarium industry in Australia.Health Policy. 2009; 89: 303-311
- Melanoma surveillance in the U.S.: overview of methods.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011; 65: S6-S16
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the U.S., 2006.Arch Dermatol. 2010; 146: 283-287
- The social determinants of cancer: a challenge for transdisciplinary science.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: S141-S150
- The importance of transdisciplinary collaborations for understanding and resolving health disparities.Soc Work Public Health. 2010; 25: 408-422
- Cancer disparities: unmet challenges in the elimination of disparities.Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011; 20: 1809-1814
- Ecological models of health behavior.in: In: Glanz K. Rimer B.K. Viswanath K. Health behavior and health education: theory, research, and practice. 4th ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco CA2008: 465-485
- Curbing gun violence: lessons from public health successes.JAMA. 2013; 309: 551-552
- Multiple skin cancer risk behaviors in the U.S. population.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 87-93