Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Increased food energy supply is more than sufficient to explain the U.S. epidemic of obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 2009; 90: 1453-1456
- Does providing nutrition information at the point of purchase affect consumer behavior?.Healthy Eating Res. 2009; (2012(3/28/2012))
- Attacking the obesity epidemic: the potential health benefits of providing nutrition information in restaurants.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 1669-1675
Center for Science in the Public Interest. State and local menu labeling policies. 2011. cspinet.org/new/pdf/ml_map.pdf.
- Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.Nutrition labeling of standard menu items at chain restaurants. 2010; (11th Congress, 2nd Session) 518
- Consumer awareness of fast-food calorie information in New York City after implementation of a menu labeling regulation.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 2520-2525
- Calorie labeling and food choices: a first look at the effects on low-income people in New York City.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w1110-w1121
- Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 312-318
- Changing food selections in a public cafeteria.Behav Modif. 1984; 8: 520-539
- Effect of point-of-purchase calorie labeling on restaurant and cafeteria food choices: a review of the literature.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008; 5: 51
- Food choice in response to computer-generated nutrition information provided about meal selections in workplace restaurants.J Hum Nutr Diet. 1996; 9: 231-237
- Restaurant menu labeling: impact of nutrition information on entree sales and patron attitudes.Health Educ Q. 1990; 17: 157-167
- Improving patrons' meal selections through the use of point-of-selection nutrition labels.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2001-2005
- Adolescent fast food and restaurant ordering behavior with and without calorie and fat content menu information.J Adolesc Health. 2005; 37: 397-402
- A 2-phase labeling and choice architecture intervention to improve healthy food and beverage choices.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 527-533
- Calorie posting in chain restaurants.Am Econ J Econ Policy. 2011; 3: 91-128
- Changes in energy content of lunchtime purchases from fast food restaurants after introduction of calorie labelling: cross sectional customer surveys.BMJ. 2011; 343: d4464
- Mandatory menu labeling in one fast-food chain in King County, Washington.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 122-127
- The impact of menu labeling on fast-food purchases for children and parents.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 434-438
King County Board of Health. Board of Health Resolution 0802.2. An amendment relating to the protection of the public health through the nutrition labeling of food. 2008;BOH08–02.2.
CDC. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System Survey Data. Atlanta GA: DHHS, CDC, 2008–2010.
- The roles of gender and motivation as moderators of the effects of calorie and nutrient information provision on away-from-home foods.J Consumer Aff. 2009; 43: 249-273
- Energy, saturated fat, and sodium were lower in entrées at chain restaurants at 18 months compared with 6 months following the implementation of mandatory menu labeling regulation in King County, Washington.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1169-1176
Boyle M. The accidental hero. Business Week 2009. www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/09_46/b4155058815908.htm.
Hartford J. Five dollar promotions big for restaurants. 2012. www2.qsrmagazine.com/articles/exclusives/0908/five_dollars-1.phtml.
- Inviting consumers to downsize fast-food portions significantly reduces calorie consumption.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 399-407
- Purchasing behavior and calorie information at fast-food chains in New York City, 2007.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 1457-1459
- Coming to a restaurant near you? Potential consumer responses to nutrition information disclosure on menus.J Consumer Res. 2009; 36: 494-503
- Effects of visual presentation of caloric values on food buying by normal and obese persons.Percept Mot Skills. 1976; 42: 155-162
- The public’s understanding of daily caloric recommendations and their perceptions of calorie posting in chain restaurants.BMC Public Health. 2010; 10: 121
- Calorie postings in chain restaurants in a low-income urban neighborhood: measuring practical utility and policy compliance.J Urban Health. 2012; 89: 587-597
- Patient understanding of food labels: the role of literacy and numeracy.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 391-398
- Consumers may not use or understand calorie labeling in restaurants.J Am Diet Assoc. 2006; 106: 917-920
- Flies in the Ointment? Addressing potential impediments to population-based health benefits of restaurant menu labeling initiatives.J Public Policy Marketing. 2012; 31: 232-239
- A test of different menu labeling presentations.Appetite. 2012; 59: 770-777
- Influence of simplified nutrition labeling and taxation on laboratory energy intake in adults.Appetite. 2011; 57: 184-192
Jargon J. Chain restaurants push healthier fare. online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704381604575005530811257728.html.
- Nutrition labeling regulation impacts on restaurant environments.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 505-511
- Portion size me: downsizing our consumption norms.J Am Diet Assoc. 2007; 107: 1103-1106
- Increased portion size leads to increased energy intake in a restaurant meal.Obes Res. 2004; 12: 562-568
- Eating out in America, 1987-2000: trends and nutritional correlates.Prev Med. 2004; 38: 243-249