Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Americans with disabilities: 2005. Current Population Reports, P70–117.US Census Bureau, Washington DC2008
- The future of disability in America.National Academies Press, Washington DC2007
Department of Defense. U.S. Casualty Status of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), and Operation New Dawn (OND). 2012. www.defense.gov/news/casualty.pdf.
- Secondary conditions and aging with disability. In:.in: Field M.J. Jette A.M. The future of disability in America. National Academies Press, Washington DC2007
- Obesity and disability: time to act.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 41: 541-545
- Obesity among adults with disabling conditions.JAMA. 2002; 288: 1265-1268
- State-specific prevalence of obesity among adults with disabilities—eight states and the District of Columbia, 1998-1999.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 805-808
- Disability and health state chartbook, 2006: profiles of health for adults with disabilities.CDC, Atlanta GA2006
- Disability and health in the U.S., 2001-2005.National Center for Health Statistics, DHHS, Hyattsville MD2008
- Validity of overweight and obesity in a nation based on self-report versus measurement device data.Eur J Clin Nutr. 2006; 60: 372-377
- A comparison of direct vs. self-report measures for assessing height, weight, and body mass index: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2007; 8: 307-326
- Self-reported weight and hegiht: implications for obesity research.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 294-298
- Effects of age on validity of self-reported height, weight, and body mass index: findings from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988-1994.J Am Dietetic Assoc. 2001; 101: 28-34
- Truth be told: evidence of wheelchair users accuracy in reporting their height and weight.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2012; 93: 2055-2061
- Health of community-dwelling adults with mobility limitations in the U.S.: prevalent health conditions.Part I. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2008; 89: 210-218
CDC. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Survey Questionnaires, Examination Components and Laboratory Components 1999-2000. 2012. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/nhanes1999-2000/questexam99_00.htm.
- Clinical guidelines on the identification, evaluation, and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults—the evidence report.Obes Res. 1998; 6: 51S-209S
- Analytic and reporting guidelines: The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville MD2005 (www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhanes/nhanes_03_04/nhanes_analytic_guidelines_dec_2005.pdf)
- Age adjustment using the 2000 projected U.S. population.Healthy People Statistical Notes. National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville MD2001
- Multiple imputation for nonresponse in surveys.Wiley, New York1987
- Physical disability and obesity.Nutr Rev. 2005; 63: 321-331
- The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity.JAMA. 1999; 282: 1523-1529
- Relationshiop between obesity and cardiovascular risk factors: findings from a multi-state screening project in the U.S..Curr Med Res Opin. 2005; 21: 1755-1761
- Carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in chronic spinal cord injury.J Spinal Cord Med. 2001; 24: 266-277
- Estimates of state-level health-care expenditures associated with disability.Public Health Rep. 2010; 125: 44-51
- Physical activity among adults with a disability—U.S., 2005.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007; 56: 1021-1024
- Barriers to exercise in African American women with physical disabilities.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2000; 81: 182-188
- Identifying barriers to participation in physical activity for women with disabilities.SCI Psychosoc Process. 2002; 15: 21-28
- Accessibility of fitness facilities for persons with physical disabilities using wheelchairs.Topics Spinal Cord Inj Rehabil. 2000; 6: 87-98
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Screening for and management of obesity in adults. 2012. www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf11/obeseadult/obesesum.htm.
2020 Healthy People. Nutrition and weight status objectives. 2012. www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/objectiveslist.aspx?topicId=29.