Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The pandemic of physical inactivity: global action for public health.Lancet. 2012; 380: 294-305
- Effect of physical inactivity on major non-communicable diseases worldwide: an analysis of burden of disease and life expectancy.Lancet. 2012; 380: 219-229
Department of Health. UK physical activity guidelines. 2011. www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_128209.
- Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011; 43: 1334-1359
- Interventions to increase physical activity among healthy adults: meta-analysis of outcomes.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 751-758
- Interventions for promoting physical activity.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; (CD003180)
- Integration of short bouts of physical activity into organizational routine: a systematic review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 76-93
- Testing a workplace physical activity intervention: a cluster randomized controlled trial.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 11: 29
- Improving nutrition and physical activity in the workplace: a meta-analysis of intervention studies.Health Promot Int. 2012; 27: 238-249
- Are worksite interventions effective in increasing physical activity? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Health Psychol Rev. 2009; 3: 108-144
- Meta-analysis of workplace physical activity interventions.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 330-339
- Workplace health promotion: a meta-analysis of effectiveness.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 406-415
- Wellness incentives, equity, and the 5 groups problem.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 49-54
- Using the tax system to promote physical activity: critical analysis of Canadian initiatives.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: e10-e16
- Commitment contracts as a way to health.BMJ. 2012; 344: e522
Department of Health. Healthy lives, healthy people. Our strategy for public health in England. 2010. www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_121941.
NIH. NIH science of behavior change: meeting summary. NIH, 2009. commonfund.nih.gov/documents/SOBC_Meeting_Summary_2009.pdf.
- Using financial incentives to achieve behaviour change.BMJ. 2009; 338: b1415
- Incentives and health: an introduction.Prev Med. 2012; 55: S2-S6
- Incentives to exercise.Econometrica. 2009; 77: 909-931
- The effect of competition on physical activity: a randomized trial.B E J Econom Anal Policy. 2010; 10: 1-29
BBC News Northern Ireland. Civil service sick days cost taxpayer £22m. 2011. www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13557270.
Hunter RF, Davies M, Tully MA, Kee F. The Physical Activity Loyalty Card Scheme: development and application of a novel system for incentivising behaviour change. In: Lecture notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering Series. New York: Springer, 2012:0091
- Engagement and retention of participants in a physical activity website.Prev Med. 2005; 40: 54-59
- Website physical activity interventions: preferences of potential users.Health Educ Res. 2006; 21: 560-566
- Website-delivered physical activity interventions: a review of the literature.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 54-64
- Randomized trial of a neighbourhood environment-focused physical activity website intervention.Prev Med. 2009; 48: 144-150
- An internet-delivered exercise intervention for workplace health promotion in overweight sedentary employees: a randomised trial.Prev Med. 2010; 51: 234-239
- Effective techniques in healthy eating and physical activity interventions: a meta-regression.Health Psychol. 2009; 28: 690-701
- Conditional cash transfers for improving uptake of health interventions in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1900-1910
- Global Physical Activity Questionnaire (GPAQ): nine country reliability and validity study.J Phys Act Health. 2009; 6: 790-804
- Self-efficacy and the stages of exercise behavior change.Res Q Exerc Sport. 1992; 63: 60-66
WHO. Global physical activity questionnaire (GPAQ) analysis guide. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO. www.who.int/chp/steps/resources/GPAQ_Analysis_Guide.pdf.
Department of Finance and Personnel. Personnel statistics for the 11 NI departments. 2010.
- Use of personal trainers and financial incentives to increase exercise in a behavioral weight-loss program.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1998; 66: 777-783
- A randomized study of financial incentives to increase physical activity among sedentary older adults.Prev Med. 2008; 47: 182-187
- Evaluation of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation interventions with a self-help smoking cessation program.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1991; 59: 318-324
- Competitions and incentives for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011; : CD004307
- Judging nudging: can nudging improve population health?.BMJ. 2011; 342: 263-265
- Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behaviour.Plenum Press, New York1985
- A structured review of the effect of economic incentives on consumers’ preventive behavior.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 327-352
- A meta-analysis of voucher-based reinforcement therapy for substance use disorders.Addiction. 2006; 101: 192-203
- A randomized, controlled trial of financial incentives for smoking cessation.N Engl J Med. 2009; 360: 699-709
- Systematic review of the use of financial incentives in treatments for obesity and overweight.Obes Rev. 2008; 9: 355-367
- Recruiting participants to walking intervention studies: a systematic review.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 137
- Randomised controlled trial of home-based walking programmes at and below current recommended levels of exercise in sedentary adults.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2007; 61: 778-783
- Toward a behavioural economic understanding of drug dependence: delay discounting.Addiction. 2001; 96: 73-86
- A review of delay-discounting research with humans: relation to drug use and gambling.Behav Pharmacol. 2006; 17: 651-667
- Individual laboratory-measured discount rates predict field behaviour.J Risk Uncertain. 2008; 37: 237-269
- Fairness and wellness incentives: what is the relevance of the process-outcome distinction?.Prev Med. 2012; 55: S118-S123