Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Preventive Services. 2012. www.ahrq.gov/clinic/uspstfix.htm.
Recommendation and Guidelines: Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). 2010. www.cdc.gov/vaccines/recs/ACIP/default.htm.
Guide to Community Preventive Services. 2011. www.thecommunityguide.org/index.html.
- Use of selected clinical preventive services among adults—U.S., 2007-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 61(S): 1-2
- The quality of health care delivered to adults in the U.S..N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2635-2645
- Priorities among effective clinical preventive services: results of a systematic review and analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2006; 31: 52-61
CDC. BRFSS—CDC's behavioral risk factor surveillance system. 2010. www.cdc.gov/brfss.
- Receipt of preventive services by elders based on composite measures, 1997-2004.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 11-18
- Delivery of preventive services to adults aged 50-64: monitoring performance using a composite measure, 1997-2004.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 733-740
- Healthy People 2010: understanding and improving health.2nd ed. Government Printing Office, Washington DC2000
The National Prevention Strategy. 2011. www.healthcare.gov/center/councils/nphpphc/index.html.
Joint Principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home. 2009. www.pcpcc.net/.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. Public Law 111-1148. 2nd Session ed, 2010.
- Putting prevention in its place: the shift from clinic to community.Health Affairs. 2006; 25: 1012-1015
The compendium of proven community-based prevention programs. 2011. healthyamericans.org/report/66/prevention.
Martin-Misener R. The strengthening primary health care through primary care and public health collabortion research team. A scoping literature review of collaboration between primary care and public health. 2009. www.swchc.on.ca/documents/MartinMisener-Valaitis-Review.pdf.
- A review of collaborative partnerships as a strategy for improving community health.Annu Rev Public Health. 2000; 21: 369-402
- The Vote and Vax program: public health at polling places.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2008; 14: 476-480
- Offering annual fecal occult blood tests at annual flu shot clinics increases colorectal cancer screening rates.Ann Family Med. 2009; 7: 17-23
- Improving access to mammograms through community-based influenza clinics: a quasi-experimental study.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 97-102
Barry MB, Saul J, Baily LA. U.S. quitlines at a crossroads: utilization, budget, and service trends 2005-2010. 2010. www.naquitline.org/resource/resmgr/reports_2010/100407_special-report.pdf.
- Community health worker intervention to decrease cervical cancer disparities in Hispanic women.J Gen Intern Med. 2010; 25: 1186-1192
- An electronic linkage system for health behavior counseling effect on delivery of the 5A's.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: S350-S358
- Putting it together: finding success in behavior change through integration of services.Ann Fam Med. 2005; 3S2: S20-S27
- Committee on Public Health Strategies to Improve Health. For the public's health: investing in a healthier future.National Academies Press, Washington DC2012
- Personal responsibility and obesity: a constructive approach to a controversial issue.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 379-387
- Social conditions as fundamental causes of disease.J Health social behavior. 1995; : 80-94
- Health disparities across the lifespan: meaning, methods, and mechanisms.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010; 1186: 5-23
- Citizen-centered health promotion: building collaborations to facilitate healthy living.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: S38-S47
- The triple aim: care, health, and cost.Health Aff (Millwood). 2008; 27: 759-769
- New York Academy of Medicine. Committee on Medicine and Public Health. Medicine & public health: the power of collaboration.Health Administration Press, Chicago IL1997
- Marriage counseling for medicine and public health: strengthening the bond between these two health sectors.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 29: 154-157
- Joining hands: partnerships between physicians and the community in the delivery of preventive care.Center for American Progress, Washington DC2006
- Expanding the delivery of clinical preventive services through community collaboration: the SPARC model.Prev Chronic Dis. 2008; 5: A20
- Linkages between clinical practices and community organizations for prevention: a literature review and environmental scan.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: S375-S382
- Primary care and public health: exploring integration to improve population health.The National Academies Press, Washington DC2012
- Integrating public health and primary care systems: potential strategies from an IOM report.JAMA. 2012; 308: 461-462
- Can accountable care organizations improve population health?: Should they try?.JAMA. 2013; 309: 1119-1120
- Bridging the divide between health and health care.JAMA. 2013; 309: 1121-1122
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. HITECH Programs. 2012. healthit.hhs.gov/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=1487&mode=2.
- How the patient-centered outcomes research institute is engaging patients and others in shaping its research agenda.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 393-400
- What the evidence shows about patient activation: better health outcomes and care experiences; fewer data on costs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 207-214
- Patient and family engagement: a framework for understanding the elements and developing interventions and policies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 223-231
- Early lessons from four “aligning forces for quality” communities bolster the case for patient-centered care.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 232-241
- Providers, payers, the community, and patients are all obliged to get patient activation and engagement ethically right.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 401-407
Enhancing use of clinical preventive services among older adults. 2011. www.cdc.gov/aging/pdf/Clinical_Preventive_Services_Closing_the_Gap_Report.pdf.
- Promoting preventive services for adults 50-64: community and clinical partnerships.National Association of Chronic Disease Directors, Atlanta GA2009
- Organizing care for patients with chronic illness.Milbank Q. 1996; 74: 511-544
- Does the chronic care model serve also as a template for improving prevention?.Milbank Q. 2001; 79 (iv-v): 579-612
- Quality improvement in chronic illness care: a collaborative approach.Jt Comm J Qual Improv. 2001; 27: 63-80
- Opportunity knocks for public health departments: increasing the use of clinical preventive services by older adults.UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. 2012; (healthpolicy.ucla.edu/publications/Documents/PDF/phpnsep2012.pdf)
- Comparison between U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendations and Medicare coverage.Ann Fam Med. 2010; 9: 44-49
- Colorectal cancer screening: scientific review.JAMA. 2003; 289: 1288-1296
- Hair salon stylists as breast cancer prevention lay health advisors for African American and Afro-Caribbean women.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2008; 19: 216-226
- Contribution of primary care to health systems and health.Milbank Q. 2005; 83: 457-502
- Multiple behavioral risk factor interventions in primary care. Summary of research evidence.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 61-79
- The Future of Family Medicine: a collaborative project of the family medicine community.Ann Fam Med. 2004; 2: S3-S32
Joint Principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home. 2007. www.pcpcc.net/.
- Summary of the National Demonstration Project and recommendations for the patient-centered medical home.Ann Fam Med. 2010; 8 (S92): S80-S90
- A cluster randomized controlled trial to increase breast cancer screening among African American women: the black cosmetologists promoting health program.J Natl Med Assoc. 2011; 103: 735-745
- Recruiting African-American barbershops for prostate cancer education.J Natl Med Assoc. 2008; 100: 1012-1020
- A cancer screening intervention for underserved Latina women by lay educators.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21: 557-566
- Promotores de salud and community health workers: an annotated bibliography.Fam Community Health. 2012; 35: 172-182
- A health care cooperative extension service: transforming primary care and community health.JAMA. 2009; 301: 2589-2591
- Vermont's Blueprint for medical homes, community health teams, and better health at lower cost.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 383-386
WVU Extention Service. 2011. ext.wvu.edu/.
- The community health educator referral liaison (CHERL): a primary care practice role for promoting healthy behaviors.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: S365-S372
Ricketts TC, Greene S, Silberman P, Howard HA, Poley S. Evaluation of Community Care of North Carolina Asthma and Diabetes Management Initiatives: January 2000-December 2002. 2004. www.shepscenter.unc.edu/research_programs/health_policy/Access.pdf.
- Lessons for coverage expansion: a Virginia primary care program for the uninsured reduced utilization and cut costs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 350-359
Lambrew JL. A wellness trust to prioritize disease prevention. 2007. www.brookings.edu/papers/2007/04useconomics_lambrew.aspx.
Sickness prevention acheived through regional collaboration. Vote & Vax. 2012. www.voteandvax.org/.
- Eliminating waste in U.S. health care.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1513-1516
Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. Primary care and public health integration. 2012. www.astho.org/pcph-strategic-map/.
Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. Community health teams issue report. 2012. www.astho.org/Programs/Access/Primary-Care/_Materials/Community-Health-Teams-Issue-Report/.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation. The CMS Innovation Center. innovation.cms.gov/.
CDC. Community transformation grants. www.cdc.gov/communitytransformation/.