Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Core indicators of nutritional status for difficult to sample populations.J Nutr. 1990; 120: 1447S-1600S
Coleman-Jensen A, Nord M, Andrews M, Andrews M, Carlson S. Household food security in the U.S. in 2011. U.S. Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. 2012. www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err-economic-research-report/err141.aspx.
- Food insecurity is associated with diabetes mellitus: results from the National Health Examination and Nutritional Examination Survey 1999-2002.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1018-1023
- Food insecurity is associated with chronic disease among low-income NHANES participants.J Nutr. 2010; 140: 304-310
- Livelihood strategies of food-insecure poor, female-headed families in rural Alabama.Psychol Rep. 2007; 101: 1031-1036
- Food insecurity and the risks of depression and anxiety in mothers and behavior problems in their preschool-aged children.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: e859-e868
- Household food insufficiency, financial strain, work-family spillover, and depressive symptoms in the working class: the work, family, and health network study.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 126-133
- Food insecurity and gender are risk factors for obesity.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2007; 39: 31-36
- Mental health context of food insecurity: a representative cohort of families with young children.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 564-572
- Environmental influences on food security in high-income countries.Nutr Rev. 2010; 68: 1-29
- Food insecurity affects children's academic performance, weight gain, and social skills.J Nutr. 2005; 135: 2831-2839
- Household food insecurity: associations with at-risk infant and toddler development.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: 65-72
- Poverty, food insecurity, and the behavior of childhood internalizing and externalizing disorders.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 444-452
- Relationship between hunger and psychosocial functioning in low-income American children.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 1998; 37: 163-170
Nord M. Food insecurity in households with children: prevalence, severity, and household characteristics. Economic Information Bulletin #56. Washington DC: Economic Research Service, USDA. www.ers.usda.gov/publications/eib-economic-information-bulletin/eib56.aspx.
- Feeding a family in a recession: food insecurity among Minnesota parents.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 520-526
- Exploring mediators of food insecurity and obesity: a review of recent literature.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 253-254
U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service. Monthly data—national level. www.fns.usda.gov/pd/snapmain.htm.
Mabli J, Cohen R, Potter F, Zhao Z. Hunger in America 2010 national report: prepared for feeding America. Princeton NJ: Mathematica Policy Research, 2010. www.ers.usda.gov/publications/ERR108/ERR108.pdf.
Nord M, Coleman-Jensen A, Andrews M, Carlson S. Measuring food security in the U.S.: household food security in the U.S., 2009. U.S. Department of Agriculture. www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/ERR108/ERR108.pdf.
- From support to self-sufficiency: how successful are programs in advancing the finanacial independence and well-being of welfare recipients?.Eval Prog Plann. 2001; 24: 389-408
- Changing the conversation about hunger—the process of developing Freshplace.Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2012; 6: 429-434
Partnership to End Poverty. Barriers for people in poverty. www.partnershiptoendpoverty.org/research/barriers-of-poverty/.
Carson F. Promoting client choice. Congressional Hunger Center for Connecticut food bank. www.hungercenter.org/publications/promoting-client-choice-how-food-pantries-can-most-effectively-alleviate-hunger/.
- Motivational interviewing: preparing people for change.2nd ed. Guilford Press, New York2002
- Meta-analysis of motivational interviewing: twenty five years of research.Res Soc Work Pract. 2010; 20: 137-160
Share Our Strength. Cooking matters. cookingmatters.org/.
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ Behav. 2004; 32: 143-164
- Stages and process of self-change in smoking: towards an integrative model of change.J Consult Clin Psychol. 1983; 51: 390-395
Upper Albany Main Street, Inc (UAMS). Area demographics. www.upperalbany.com/?page_id=6.
Robaina K, Martin K. Food insecurity, poor diet quality, and obesity among food pantry participants in Hartford, CT. J Nutr Educ Behav 2012;doi:pii:S1499-4046(12)00506-4.
Bickel G, Nord M, Price C, Hamilton W, Cook J. Guide to measuring household food security, revised 2000. Alexandria VA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service.
Missouri Family Self-sufficiency Scale. tamarackcommunity.ca/downloads/vc/Family_SelfSufficiency_Scales.pdf.
- A rapid food screener to assess fat and fruit and vegetable intake.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 284-288
- Fast food, race/ethnicity, and income: a geographic analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 27: 211-217
U.S. Department of Agriculture and DHHS. Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010. 7th ed. Washington DC: U.S. Government Printing Office. www.dietaryguidelines.gov.
- Sweet charity?.Emergency food and the end of entitlement. Penguin Group, New York1998
- Food and Nutrition Service.Measuring food security in the U.S. 1995–1998; (www.fns.usda.gov/ora/MENU/Published/FoodSecurity/foodsec98.PDF)
- Coping strategies and nutrition education needs among food pantry users.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002; 34: 326-333
Katie S. Martin was employed at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, when this research was completed.