Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Prevalence of obesity in the U.S., 2009-2010.NCHS Data Brief. 2012; 82: 1-8
- Prevalence of obesity and trends in the distribution of body mass index among U.S. adults, 1999-2010.JAMA. 2012; 307: 491-497
- Effectiveness of web-based interventions in achieving weight loss and weight loss maintenance in overweight and obese adults: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 306-321
- Outcomes of a 12-month web-based intervention for overweight and obese men.Ann Behav Med. 2011; 42: 391-401
- Mobile Health 2012.Pew Research Center, Washington DC2012
- Tweets, apps, and pods: results of the 6-month Mobile Pounds Off Digitally (Mobile POD) randomized weight-loss intervention among adults.J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13: e120
- Mobile phone interventions to increase physical activity and reduce weight: a systematic review.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2013; 28: 320-329
- A text message-based intervention for weight loss: randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2009; 11: e1
- Health behavior models in the age of mobile interventions: are our theories up to the task?.Transl Behav Med. 2011; 1: 53-71
- Development of smartphone applications for nutrition and physical activity behavior change.JMIR Res Protoc. 2012; 1: e9
- Where there's an app, there's a way?.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 390-391
- Smartphone ownership—2013 update.Pew Research Center, Washington DC2013
Kasbo A, McLaughlin R. Mobile health applications: 2012 study. 2012. verasoni.com/ahha3/mobile-health-applications-2012-study/.
Baker M. Software for shaping up. 2011. online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703961104576148732585957902.html.
- Adherence to a smartphone application for weight loss compared to website and paper diary: pilot randomized controlled trial.J Med Internet Res. 2013; 15: e32
- "Smart" coaching to promote physical activity, diet change, and cardiovascular health.J Cardiovas Nurs. 2011; 26: 282-284
- Weight loss—there is an app for that! But does it adhere to evidence-informed practices?.Transl Behav Med. 2011; 1: 523-529
- iPhone apps for smoking cessation: a content analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: 279-285
- Apps of steel: are exercise apps providing consumers with realistic expectations?: a content analysis of exercise apps for presence of behavior change theory.Health Educ Behav. 2013; 40: 133-139
- eHealth communication and behavior change: promise and performance.Soc Semiot. 2010; 20: 9-27
- Successful weight loss maintenance.Annu Rev Nutr. 2001; 21: 323-341
- Cognitive and behavioral approaches in the treatment of obesity.Med Clin North Am. 2011; 95: 971-988
- Self-monitoring in weight loss: a systematic review of the literature.J Am Diet Assoc. 2011; 111: 92-102
- The effect of electronic self-monitoring on weight loss and dietary intake: a randomized behavioral weight loss trial.Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011; 19: 338-344
- Consistent self-monitoring of weight: a key component of successful weight loss maintenance.Obesity. 2007; 15: 3091-3096
- The efficacy of a daily self-weighing weight loss intervention using smart scales and email.Obesity. 2013;
- Self-management methods.Pergamon Press, New York NY1991
- The behavior chain for online participation: how successful web services structure persuasion.in: PERSUASIVE 2007 LNCS. Vol 4744. Springer-Verlag, Berlin2007: 199-209
Fogg B. A behavior model for persuasive design. 2009. www.bjfogg.com/fbm_files/page4_1.pdf.
- Persuasive technology: using computers to change what we think and do (interactive technologies).Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco2003
- Evaluation of physical activity web sites for use of behavior change theories.Ann Behav Med. 2003; 25: 105-111
Hearn M. Study suggests 70 percent of mobile app users pay “nothing or very little” for apps. 2012.
- Rethinking communication in the E-health era.J Health Psychol. 2003; 8: 7-23
Shaw K, O'Rourke P, Del Mar C, Kenardy J. Psychological interventions for overweight or obesity. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005;(2):CD003818
- Long-term effectiveness of weight-loss interventions in adults with pre-diabetes: a review.Am J Prev Med. 2005; 28: 126-139
Woolston C. Can smartphone apps really help you lose weight? 2011. articles.latimes.com/2011/may/09/health/la-he-skeptic-phone-apps-20110509.
Melnick M. Fitness, weight loss and nutrition apps for your phone. 2012. www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/22/fitness-weight-loss-nutrition-apps_n_1371705.html#s803227&title=ThinCam.
Cohen J. The 8 best smart phone apps for weight loss. 2012. www.forbes.com/sites/jennifercohen/2012/08/21/the-8-best-smart-phone-apps-for-weight-loss/.
Alderman L. Losing weight the smartphone way, with a nutritionist in your pocket. 2010. www.nytimes.com/2010/07/17/health/17patient.html.
- Weight loss during the intensive intervention phase of the weight-loss maintenance trial.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 118-126
- Self-monitoring as a mediator of weight loss in the SMART randomized clinical trial.Int J Behav Med. 2012;
- Effect of adherence to self-monitoring of diet and physical activity on weight loss in a technology-supported behavioral intervention.Patient Prefer Adherence. 2012; 6: 221-226
- Validity of reported energy intake in obese and nonobese adolescents.Am J Clin Nutr. 1990; 52: 421-425
- Discrepancy between self-reported and actual caloric intake and exercise in obese subjects.N Engl J Med. 1992; 327: 1893-1898
- Accuracy of self-reported exercise and the relationship with weight loss in overweight women.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1998; 30: 634-638
- "They all work...when you stick to them": a qualitative investigation of dieting, weight loss, and physical exercise, in obese individuals.Nutr J. 2008; 7: 34
- Using instrumented paper diaries to document self-monitoring patterns in weight loss.Contemp Clin Trials. 2008; 29: 182-193
- Randomized trial of lifestyle modification and pharmacotherapy for obesity.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2111-2120