Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Rainie L. Internet, broadband, and cell phone statistics. Pew Internet and American Life Project; 2010. pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Internet-broadband-and-cell-phone-statistics.aspx
Smith A. Mobile access 2010. Pew Internet and American Life Project; 2010. pewinternet.org/Reports/2010/Mobile-Access-2010.aspx
- Using mHealth technology to enhance self-monitoring for weight loss: a randomized trial.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 43: 20-26
Cunningham B. Smart phones and dietary tracking: a feasibility study [MS thesis]. Tempe AZ: Arizona State University, 2012. repository.asu.edu/attachments/56851/content/Cunningham_asu_0010N_10804.pdf
- Txt2Stop: a pilot randomised controlled trial of mobile phone-based smoking cessation support.Tob Control. 2009; 18: 88-91
- Randomized controlled trial of a web-based computer-tailored smoking cessation program as a supplement to nicotine patch therapy.Addiction. 2005; 100: 682-688
- My student body: a high-risk drinking prevention web site for college students.J Am Coll Health. 2005; 53: 263-274
- Smartphone applications for pain management.J Telemed Telecare. 2011; 17: 308-312
- Smartphone technology and apps: Rapidly changing health promotion.Int Electron J Health Educ. 2012; 15: 72-82
- Internet methods for delivering behavioral and health-related interventions (eHealth).Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2007; 3: 53-76
- Crowdsourcing as a model for problem solving: An introduction and cases.Convergence: Int J Res New Media Technol. 2008; 14: 75-90
Howe J. The rise of crowdsourcing. Wired 2006, Jun;14(6). www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/crowds.html.
- Crowdsourcing: why the power of the crowd is driving the future of business.Crown, New York2008
- Israel B.A. Eng E. Schulz A.J. Parker E.A. Methods for community-based participatory research for health. 2nd ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco2012
- Crowdsourcing the public participation process for planning projects.Plann Theory. 2009; 8: 242-262
- Listening to the crowd: a content analysis of social media chatter about a crowdsourcing contest [BA Honors thesis].University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill NC2012
Two consumer-created Doritos ads crash the super bowl advertising stage, now compete for $1 million bonus prize. PepsiCo; 2012. www.pepsico.com/PressRelease/Two-Consumer-Created-Doritos-Ads-Crash-the-Super-Bowl-Advertising-Stage-Now-Comp02052012.html
- Open innovation: the new imperative for creating and profiting from technology. Harvard Business Press, Boston MA2003
- Democratizing innovation.Cambridge MA. MIT Press, 2005
- Collective intelligence: mankind’s emerging world in cyberspace.Plenum, New York1995
- “Peer to patent”: collective intelligence, open review, and patent reform.Harv J Law Technol. 2006; 20: 123-262
- Network culture: politics for the information age.Pluto Press, London2004
Wikipedia statistics all languages. Wikimedia; n.d. stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaZZ.htm
- Coase’s penguin, or, Linux and the nature of the firm.Yale Law J. 2002; 112: 369-446
- The wisdom of crowds: why the many are smarter than the few and how collective wisdom shapes business, economies, societies, and nations.Doubleday, New York2004
- Stigmergic collaboration: the evolution of group work.J Media Cult. 2006; 9
Malone TW, von Ahn L, eds. Collective intelligence 2012: proceedings. Cambridge MA: eprint arXiv:1204.2991, 2012.
- Alternating steady state in one-dimensional flocking.J Phys A Math Gen. 1999; 32: L99-L105
- The difference: how the power of diversity creates better groups, firms, schools, and societies.Princeton University Press, Princeton NJ2007
- Athena unbound: the advancement of women in science and technology.Cambridge University Press, Cambridge UK2000
- The careers of men and women scientists: a review of current research.in: Zuckerman H. Cole J.R. Bruer J.T. The outer circle: women in the scientific community. W. W. Norton & Company, New York1991: 27-56
- Marginality and problem-solving effectiveness in broadcast search.Organ Sci. 2010; 21: 1016-1033
Villarroel JA, Reis F. Intra-corporate crowdsourcing (ICC): leveraging upon rank and site marginality for innovation. San Francisco, 2010. www.crowdconf2010.com/images/finalpapers/villarroel.pdf.
- Convergence culture: where old and new media collide.New York University Press, New York2006
- Crowdsourcing.MIT Press, Cambridge MA2013
- txteagle: mobile crowdsourcing.Lect Notes Comput Sci. 2009; 5623: 447-456
- Local motors: designed by the crowd, built by the customer.Harvard Business School, Cambridge MA2010 (Report No.: 510-062)
- Cloud manufacturing: a computing and service-oriented manufacturing model.J Eng Manuf. 2011; 225: 1969-1976
- Trending now: using social media to predict and track disease outbreaks.Environ Health Perspect. 2012; 120: a30-a33
- Detecting influenza epidemics using search engine query data.Nature. 2009; 457: 1012-1014
- “Did You Feel It?” intensity data: a surprisingly good measure of earthquake ground motion.Seismol Res Lett. 2007; 78: 362-368
Wald DJ, Quitoriano V, Dewey JW. USGS “Did You Feel It?” community Internet intensity maps: macroseismic data collection via the Internet. Geneva, Switzerland, 2006. ehp2-earthquake.wr.usgs.gov/earthquakes/pager/prodandref/WaldEtAlECEESDYFI.pdf.
- Crowdsourcing: A model for leveraging online communities.in: Delwiche A. Henderson J.J. The participatory cultures handbook. Routledge, New York2012: 120-129
Nikzad N, Verma N, Ziftci C, et al. CitiSense: improving geospatial environmental assessment of air quality using a wireless personal exposure monitoring system. Presented at Wireless Health 2012 in San Diego CA, 2012.
- The National Weight Control Registry: is it useful in helping deal with our obesity epidemic?.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2005; 37: 206-210
- Building a better toilet.J Glob Health Care Syst. 2012; 2
Smith A. SeeClickFix celebrates 50G issues reported. New Haven Register 2010. www.nhregister.com/articles/2010/08/07/news/aa3_neseeclickfix080710.txt.
- Urban youths go 3000 miles: engaging and supporting young residents to conduct neighborhood asset mapping.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 2207-2210
- Online-only: crowdsourcing lets smartphone users identify where to jumpstart a heart.Nations Health. 2013; 42: E53
- Using digital communications and social media to redraw the cardiac care map.Health Aff. 2012; 31: 2793-2794
- reCAPTCHA: human-based character recognition via Web security measures.Science. 2008; 321: 1465-1468
Pontin J. Artificial intelligence, with help from the humans. New York Times, 2007, Mar 25. www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/business/yourmoney/25Stream.html?_r=1
- AI gets a brain: new technology allows software to tap real human intelligence.ACM Queue. 2006; 4: 24-29
- Geospatial exposure to point-of-sale tobacco: real-time craving and smoking-cessation outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 379-385
Tacelosky M, Pearson J, Cantrell J, et al. Crowd-sourced micro-processing of mobile photographs for health-related field-surveillance. Presented at Wireless Health 2012 in San Diego CA, 2012.
- Crowdsourcing predictors of behavioral outcomes.IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern A Syst Hum. 2013; 43: 176-185
- Innovation contests, open innovation, and multiagent problem solving.Manage Sci. 2008; 54: 1529-1543
Johnson NB. How agencies are crowd-sourcing their way out of problems. Federal Times 2010, Aug 30; www.federaltimes.com/article/20100830/AGENCY03/8300301/1001.
- Predicting protein structures with a multiplayer online game.Nature. 2010; 466: 756-760
Fletcher A. Do consumers want to design unique products on the Internet? A study of the online virtual community of Threadless.com and their attitudes to mass customisation, mass production and collaborative design [Unpublished bachelor’s thesis]. Nottingham Trent University, 2006.
- The effectiveness of crowdsourcing public participation in a planning context.First Monday. 2012; 17
- Crowdsourcing for transit-oriented planning projects: a case study of “inTeractive Somerville” [MA thesis].Tufts University, Medford MA2012
Prevost L. You “like” it, they build it. New York Times. 2011, Jul 7; www.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/realestate/a-downtown-revival-with-online-roots-in-the-regionconnecticut.html?_r=0
Takemoto N. Crowdsourced placemaking. Washington DC, 2010; tedxtalks.ted.com/video/TEDxPotomac-Neil-Takemoto-Crowd.
- Managing unexpected publics online: the challenge of targeting specific groups with the wide-reaching tool of the Internet.Int J Commun. 2012; 6: 1139-1158
- Crowdsourcing 101: a few basics to make you the leader of the pack.Health Promot Pract. 2013; 14: 163-167
- The myth of amateur crowds: a critical discourse analysis of crowdsourcing coverage.Inf Commun Soc. 2012; 15: 394-410
Howe J. Is crowdsourcing evil? The design community weighs in. Wired 2009, Mar 10; www.wired.com/business/2009/03/is-crowdsourcin/.
- Can the mobile Web bridge the digital divide?.Interactions. 2007; : 12-14
- Workshop Participants. Online social networks and smoking cessation: a scientific research agenda.J Med Internet Res. 2011; 13: e119
- Social uses of personal health information within PatientsLikeMe, an online patient community: what can happen when patients have access to one another’s data.J Med Internet Res. 2008; 10: e15