Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Kochanek K, Xu J, Murphy S, Miniño A, Kung H. Deaths: preliminary data for 2009. Hyattsville MD: National Center for Health Statistics, 2011. National Vital Statistics Report No. 59.
CDC. Chronic diseases and health promotion: chronic diseases are the leading causes of death and disability in the U.S. cdc.gov/chronicdisease/overview/index.htm.
- Eroding access among nonelderly U.S. adults with chronic conditions: ten years of change.Health Aff (Millwood). 2008; 27: w340-w348
- The employee mindset: views, behaviors and solutions.Hewitt Associates, Lincolnshire IL2010
- Ten modifiable health risk factors are linked to more than one-fifth of employer-employee health care spending.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 2474-2484
- The association of health risks with on-the-job productivity.J Occup Environ Med. 2005; 47: 769-777
- The association between health risk change and presenteeism change.J Occup Environ Med. 2006; 48: 252-263
- Financial costs due to excess health risks among active employees of a utility company.J Occup Environ Med. 2006; 48: 896-905
- Relationship between modifiable health risks and short-term health care charges.JAMA. 1999; 282: 2235-2239
- The relationship between modifiable health risk factors and medical expenditures, absenteeism, short-term disability, and presenteeism among employees at Novartis.J Occup Environ Med. 2009; 51: 487-499
- The relationship between modifiable health risks and health care expenditures—an analysis of the multi-employer HERO health risk and cost database.J Occup Environ Med. 1998; 40: 843-854
- The association between health assessment-derived summary health scores and health care costs.J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 53: 872-878
- Workplace wellness programs study: final report.RAND Corporation, Santa Monica CA2013
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Commission to Build a Healthier America. Beyond health care: new directions for a healthier America. Princeton NJ, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2009.
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, S. 2705, 111th Cong., 2010.
- Good health is good business.J Occup Environ Med. 2006; 48: 533-537
- Health and productivity as a business strategy: a multiemployer study.J Occup Environ Med. 2009; 51: 411-428
- Zero trends: health as a serious economic strategy.Health Management Research Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI2009
- Managing manifest diseases, but not health risks, saved PepsiCo money over seven years.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 124-131
Bureau of Labor Statistics. National employment data: databases, tables & calculators by subject. bls.gov/data/#employment.
- Health sector economic indicators.Altarum Institute, Ann Arbor MI2011
- 2012 health care 360 performance study for hospitals.Towers Watson, New York NY2012
- 2011 hospital employer benefit survey.HighRoads, Burlington MA2011
- The impact of the Highmark employee wellness programs on 4-year healthcare costs.J Occup Environ Med. 2008; 50: 146-156
- A case study of population health improvement at a Midwest regional hospital employer.PHM. 2010; 13: 163-173
- A hospital system’s wellness program linked to health plan enrollment cut hospitalizations but not overall costs.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 477-485
- UPMC Health Plan wins Platinum Award from National Business Group on Health.UPMC Health Plan, Pittsburgh PA2012
- National Business Group on Health honors 66 U.S. employers with Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles awards.National Business Group on Health, Washington DC2012
- UPMC wellness program applauded.Tribune-Review. 2013; 23
- Emerging research: a view from one research center.Am J Health Promot. 2001; 15: 341-349
National Committee for Quality Assurance. HEDIS and Performance Measurement. http://www.ncqa.org/HEDISQualityMeasurement.aspx.
- Guidance for a reasonably designed, employer-sponsored wellness program using outcomes-based incentives.J Occup Environ Med. 2012; 54: 889-896