Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Childhood abuse, household dysfunction, and indicators of impaired worker performance in adulthood.Perm J. 2004; 8: 30-38
- Murder by numbers: monetary costs imposed by a sample of homicide offenders.J Forens Psychiatry Psychol. 2010; 21: 501-513
- Hidden costs in health care: the economic impact of violence and abuse.Academy on Violence and Abuse, Eden Prairie MN2009
- Welfare and domestic violence against women: lessons from research.National Resource Center on Domestic Violence, Harrisburg PA2002
- Adolescent victimization and income deficits in adulthood: rethinking the costs of criminal violence from a life-course perspective.Criminology. 2000; 38: 553-588
- The economic dimensions of interpersonal violence.WHO, Geneva2004
- Sexual violence prevention: beginning the dialogue.CDC, Atlanta GA2004
- Sexual violence in rural areas: a review of the literature.Fam Community Health. 2006; 29: 164-168
- Manual for estimating the economic costs of injuries due to interpersonal and self-directed violence.WHO, Geneva2008
- Victim costs and consequences—a new look.National Institute of Justice, Washington DC1996
- Sexual violence surveillance: uniform definitions and recommended data elements.CDC, Atlanta GA2002
Iowa Department of Public Health. Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, 2007. www.idph.state.ia.us/brfss/.
Iowa Department of Education. Iowa Youth Risk Behavior Survey, 2008. educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1640&Itemid=2451.
Iowa Department of Public Safety. Iowa Uniform Crime Reports, 2009. www.dps.state.ia.us/commis/ucr/2009/iacrime.shtml.
- Violence, abuse, and crime exposure in a national sample of children and youth.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 1-14
- Sexual victimization in prisons and jails reported by inmates, 2008–09.Bureau of Justice Statistics, Washington DC2010 (www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/svpjri0809.pdf)
- Sexual victimization in juvenile facilities reported by youth, 2008–09.Bureau of Justice Statistics, Washington DC2010
- Prison and jail inmates at midyear, 2005.Bureau of Justice Statistics, Washington DC2006
- Juveniles in residential placement, 1997–2008.Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, Washington DC2010
- Prison inmates at midyear 2009—statistical tables.Bureau of Justice Statistics, Washington DC2010
U.S. Department of Justice. Uniformed Crime Reporting Statistics, 2009. www.ucrdatatool.gov/Search/Crime/State/RunCrimeStatebyState.cfm.
- Costs of sexual violence in Minnesota: detailed methods supplement.PIRE, Calverton MD2007
Iowa Department of Public Health. Costs of sexual violence in Iowa, 2009. Des Moines IA: Iowa Department of Public Health, 2012. www.idph.state.ia.us/bh/common/pdf/sv_cost_iowa.pdf.
- The social costs of problem behavior.in: Biglan A. Brennan P.A. Foster S.L. Helping adolescents at risk: prevention of multiple problem behaviors. 1st ed. Guilford Press, New York2004
- Medical costs and productivity losses due to interpersonal and self-directed violence in the U.S.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 32: 474-482
- Societal costs of underage drinking.J Stud Alcohol. 2006; 67: 519-528
- Rape-related pregnancy: estimates and descriptive characteristics from a national sample of women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 320-324
- Childhood sexual abuse and adult psychiatric and substance use disorders in women: an epidemiological and cotwin control analysis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2000; 57: 953-959
- Association between self-reported childhood sexual abuse and adverse psychosocial outcomes: results from a twin study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2002; 59: 139-145
- Cost and benefit analysis of substance abuse prevention interventions.PIRE, Calverton MD2006
- Annual smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and economic costs—U.S., 1995–1999.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 300-303
- The cost of child and adolescent injuries and the savings from prevention.in: Liller K. Injury prevention for children and adolescents: research, practice, and advocacy. 2nd ed. APHA Press, Washington DC2005
- Health care expenses for uncomplicated pregnancies. Research findings no. 27.Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville MD2007
- CDC. Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—U.S., 2009.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2010; 59: 1-142
- An assessment of state level sexual assault prevalence estimates.Matern Child Health J. 2011; 15: 77-86
- Prevalence and risk factors of intimate partner violence in eighteen U.S. states/territories, 2005.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 112-118
- Prevalence of rural intimate partner violence in 16 U.S. states, 2005.J Rural Health. 2009; 25: 240-246
- The National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS): 2010 summary report.CDC, Atlanta GA2011
- Breaking the cycle of violence: recommendations to improve the criminal justice system response to child victims and witnesses.U.S. Department of Justice, Washington DC1999
- Looking ahead toward community-level strategies to prevent sexual violence.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2012; 21: 1-3