Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Growing for a sustainable future: Miami-Dade County Urban Development Boundary assessment. Washington DC: EPA, 2012. www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/pdf/Miami-Dade_Final_Report_12-12-12.pdf.
- The spatiotemporal form of urban growth: measurement, analysis and modeling.Remote Sens Environ. 2003; 86: 286-302
- An urban containment planning support system for Beijing.Comput Environ Urban. 2011; 35: 297-307
- Urban containment in the U.S.: history, models, and techniques for regional and metropolitan growth management.American Planning Association, Chicago IL2004
- Holding the line: urban containment in the U.S..Brookings Institution Center on Urban and Metropolitan Policy, Washington DC2002
- Measuring urban form: is Portland winning the war on sprawl?.J Am Plann Assoc. 2004; 70: 210-225
- Built environment and its influences on walking among older women: use of standardized geographic units to define urban forms.J Environ Public Health. 2012; 2012: 203141
- Suburban nation: the rise of sprawl and the decline of the American dream.North Point Press, New York2000
- Travel and the built environment: a meta-analysis.J Am Plann Assoc. 2010; 76: 265-294
- Can the built environment reduce health inequalities? A study of neighbourhood socioeconomic disadvantage and walking for transport.Health Place. 2013; 19: 89-98
- Mixed land use and obesity: an empirical comparison of alternative land use measures and geographic scales.Prof Geogr. 2012; 64: 157-177
- Ten principles for building healthy places.Urban Land Institute, Washington DC2013
- Sprawl repair manual.Island Press, Washington DC2010
- Intersections: Health and the Built Environment.Urban Land Institute, Washington, DC2013 (www.uli.org/wp-content/uploads/ULI-Documents/Intersections-Health-and-the-Built-Environment.pdf)
- Walk Score®: Associations with purposive walking in recent Cuban immigrants.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 202-206
- Stepping towards causation: Do built environments or neighborhood and travel preferences explain physical activity, driving, and obesity?.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1898-1914
- The causal influence of neighborhood design on physical activity within the neighborhood: Evidence from Northern California.Am J Health Promot. 2008; 22: 350-358
- Relationship between the built environment and physical activity levels: the Harvard Alumni Health Study.Am J Prev Med. 2009; 37: 293-298
Burnett V. Relenting on car sales, Cuba turns notorious clunkers into gold. New York Times 2011, Nov 6;A1. www.nytimes.com/2011/11/06/world/americas/relenting-on-car-sales-cuba-turns-notorious-clunkers-into-gold.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0.
- Impact of energy intake, physical activity, and population-wide weight loss on cardiovascular disease and diabetes mortality in Cuba, 1980–2005.Am J Epidemiol. 2007; 166: 1374-1380
- Neighborhood design for walking and biking: Physical activity and body mass index.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: 231-238
- More people walk to better health: CDC Vitalsigns™.CDC, Atlanta GA2012
- Prevalence of transportation and leisure walking among U.S. adults.Prev Med. 2008; 47: 329-334
- Bicycling and walking for transportation in three Brazilian cities.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 44: e9-e17
- Active transportation: making the link from transportation to physical activity and obesity.Active Living Research: A national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, San Diego CA2009
- Active transportation and physical activity: opportunities for collaboration on transportation and public health research.Transp Res Part A Pol Pract. 2004; 38: 249-268
Walk Score. Walk Score®: How Walk Score works. 2014. www.walkscore.com/live-more/.
Miami Downtown Development Authority (DDA). Central Business District: DDA Subdistrict. Miami FL: Miami DDA, 2013. miamidda.com/pdf/2013DDA_DistrictProfile_CBDcloseup.pdf.
Goodkin LM, Werley CA. Decade of change: downtown Miami Area, 2001-2011. Downtown Development Authority District and Adjacent Areas of Influence. Miami FL: Goodkin Consulting (Prepared for Miami Downtown Development Authority), 2012. miamidda.com/pdf/DwntwnMiami_Decade-of-Change04202012.pdf.
- Validation of Walk Score for estimating access to walkable amenities.Br J Sports Med. 2011; 45: 1144-1148
- Validation of Walk Score® for estimating neighborhood walkability: an analysis of four US metropolitan areas.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011; 8: 4160-4179
- The walkability premium in commercial real estate investments.Real Estate Econ. 2011; 39: 185-219
- Walk Score™ as a global estimate of neighborhood walkability.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 39: 460-463
- Validating walkability indices: How do different households respond to the walkability of their neighbourhood?.Transp Res Part D Transp Environ. 2011; 16 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.trd.2011.01.009): 309-315
- Associations between body mass index, shopping behaviors, amenity density, and characteristics of the neighborhood food environment among female adult Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participants in eastern North Carolina.Ecol Food Nutr. 2012; 51: 526-541
- Walk Score® and Transit Score® and walking in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 158-166
- International Physical Activity Questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1381-1395
- A short questionnaire for the measurement of habitual physical activity in epidemiological studies.Am J Clin Nutr. 1982; 36: 936-942
- Physical activity and incidence of coronary heart disease in middle-aged women and men.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1997; 29: 901-909
- A comparison of methods to test mediation and other intervening variable effects.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 83-104
Arbuckle JL. AMOS 6.0 User’s guide. Spring House PA, 2005.
- Principles and practice of structural equation modeling.2nd ed. Guilford, New York NY2005