Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- The preventable causes of death in the U.S.: comparative risk assessment of dietary, lifestyle, and metabolic risk factors.PLoS Med. 2009; 6: e1000058
- Merchandising commodities and citizenship on television.Public Opin Q. 1951; 15: 679
- Social marketing: an approach to planned social change.J Mark. 1971; 35: 3-12
- Mass communication and cancer control.in: Cullen J.W. Fox B.H. Isom R.N. Cancer: the behavorial dimensions. Raven, New York1976
- A.I.D.׳s experience with contraceptive social marketing: a synthesis of project evaluation findings.U.S. Agency for International Development, Washington DC1996
- Health education planning: a diagnostic approach.Mountainview CA: Mayfield Publishing Co. 1980
- The role of mass media in public health.Am J Public Health/Nations Health. 1960; 50: 515-523
- Carrots, sticks, and promises: a conceptual framework for the management of public health and social issue behaviors.SMQ. 2000; 6: 86-114
- Narrowcasting risks of drinking during pregnancy among African American and Latina adolescent girls.Health Promot Pract. 2001; 2: 222-232
- National Cancer Institute. Making health communication programs work.USDHHS, Washington DC2008
- A meta-analysis of the effect of mediated health communication campaigns on behavior change in the U.S. J.Health Commun. 2004; 9: S71-S96
CDC. Gateway to health communication and social marketing practice. www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication.
- Intervention to increase recommendation and delivery of screening for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers by healthcare providers: a systematic review of provider reminders.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 110-117
- Hands-on social marketing: a step-by-step guide to designing change for good.2nd ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks CA2010
- Lessons learned from public health mass media campaigns: marketing health in a crowded media world.Annu Rev Public Health. 2004; 25: 419-437
A history of SunSmart media campaigns. www.sunsmart.com.au/news_and_media/media_campaigns.
- Significant trends.London: Cancer Research UK. 2009 (www.sunsmart.org.uk/prod_consump/groups/cr_common/@nre/@sun/documents/generalcontent/cr_052872.pdf)
- Reducing tobacco use: a report of the Surgeon General.USDHHS, CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta GA2000
- Best practices for comprehensive tobacco control programs—2007.USDHHS, CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta GA2007
- Getting to the truth: evaluating national tobacco countermarketing campaigns.Am J Public Health. 2002; 92: 901-907
Social marketing: national benchmark criteria, Inverness Scotland Natural Heritage Social Marketing Centre, 2006. www.snh.org.uk/pdfs/sgp/A328466.pdf.
- Social marketing: influencing behaviors for good.3rd ed. Sage, Thousand Oaks CA2008
Safe Kids U.S. www.safekids.org.
- Increasing bicycle helmet use in the community. Measuring response to a wide-scale, 2-year effort.Can Fam Physician. 1994; 40: 1126-1131
- Kasdah B’Rosh Tov: a description and evaluation of the Israeli bicycle helmet campaign.Health Educ Behav. 1998; 25: 354-370
- Evolution of a successful community bicycle helmet campaign.J Am Board Fam Pract. 1995; 8: 283-287
- Hombres Sanos: exposure and response to a social marketing HIV prevention campaign targeting heterosexually identified Latino men who have sex with men and women.AIDS Educ Prev. 2009; 21: S124-S136
- Data collection instrument and procedure for systematic reviews in the Guide to Community Preventive Services. Task Force on Community Preventive Services.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: S44-S74
- Developing an evidence-based Guide to Community Preventive Services—methods. The Task Force on Community Preventive Services.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: S35-S43
- Use of child booster seats in motor vehicles following a community campaign: a controlled trial.JAMA. 2003; 289: 879-884
- 10,000 Steps Rockhampton: evaluation of a whole community approach to improving population levels of physical activity.J Phys Act Health. 2006; 3: 1-14
Louisiana Public Health Institute. Media and communications. lphi.org/home2/section/4-38/media-and-communications.
- Developing, implementing, and evaluating a condom promotion program targeting sexually active adolescents.AIDS Educ Prev. 1999; 11: 497-512
- Health promotion planning: an educational and ecological approach.3rd ed. Mayfield Publishing Co., Mountain View CA1999
- Social marketing campaigns and children’s media use.Future Child. 2008; 18: 181-203
- Designing for diffusion: how can we increase uptake of cancer communication innovations?.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 81: S100-S110
- Economics of mass media health campaigns with health-related product distribution: a Community Guide systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 348-359
- Effects of “10,000 steps Ghent”: a whole-community intervention.Am J Prev Med. 2007; 33: 455-463
- Effects of an institutional AIDS prevention intervention: moderation by gender.AIDS Educ Prev. 1996; 8: 516-528
- Comparison of interventions to reduce sun exposure.Behav Med. 2009; 35: 67-76
- A community level syphilis prevention programme: outcome data from a controlled trial.Sex Transm Infect. 2004; 80: 100-104
- Bicycle helmet use by children. Evaluation of a community-wide helmet campaign.JAMA. 1989; 262: 2256-2261
- Reaching Spanish-speaking smokers: state-level evidence of untapped potential for QuitLine utilization.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: S165-S170
- Mobilizing young gay and bisexual men for HIV prevention: a two-community study.AIDS. 1999; 13: 1753-1762
- Evaluation of community-based programs to increase booster seat use.Accid Anal Prev. 2008; 40: 295-302
- Offering free NRT through a tobacco quitline: impact on utilisation and quit rates.Tob Control. 2007; 16: Si42-Si46
- Tobacco quitline use: enhancing benefit and increasing abstinence.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 386-388
- Giving away free nicotine medications and a cigarette substitute (Better Quit) to promote calls to a quitline.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2006; 12: 60-67
- Increasing condom use among adolescents with coalition-based social marketing.AIDS. 2000; 14: 1809-1818
- Helmets for skiers and snowboarders: an injury prevention program.Health Promot Pract. 2007; 8: 257-265
- Correlates of children’s bicycle helmet use and short-term failure of school-level interventions.Pediatrics. 1992; 90: 354-358
- Increasing bicycle helmet use in Michigan: a school-based intervention pilot program. Evaluation report.Michigan State Department of Public Health, Lansing MI1991 (www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED351329.pdf)
- Head injuries to pedal cyclists and the promotion of helmet use in Victoria, Australia.Accid Anal Prev. 1998; 20: 177-185
- Evaluation of a safe sex campaign regarding AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases among young people in the Netherlands.Health Educ Res. 1991; 6: 317-325
Gold J, Goller J, Hellard M, et al. Evaluation of the Victorian “You’ll Never Know Who You’ll Meet” youth awareness campaign. Australian Sexual Health Conference; 2008 Sept 15; Perth, Australia. Sex Health 2008;5:381–404.
- Mass media as an HIV-prevention strategy: using culturally sensitive messages to reduce HIV-associated sexual behavior of at-risk African American youth.Am J Public Health. 2009; 99: 2150-2159
- The effects of using fear in public AIDS education on the behaviour of homosexually active men.J Psychol Human Sex. 1991; 4: 123-134
- Learning from Norwegian experience: attempts to mobilize the youth culture to fight the AIDS epidemic.AIDS Educ Prev. 1992; Fall(1S): S43-S56
- Health campaign channels: tradeoffs among reach, specificity, and impact.Hum Commun Res. 1998; 24: 410-432
- Use of mass media campaigns to change health behaviour.Lancet. 2010; 376: 1261-1271
☆The names and affiliations of the Task Force members are listed at www.thecommunityguide.org/about/task-force-members.html