Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Smoking and health: report of the advisory committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service.U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare, Public Health Service, CDC, Washington DC1964 Jan (Report No. 1103)
- Tobacco control and the reduction in smoking-related premature deaths in the United States, 1964-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 164-171
- Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: a report of the Surgeon General.USDHHS, CDC, Atlanta GA2012
- How tobacco smoke causes disease: the biology and behavioral basis for smoking-attributable disease: a report of the Surgeon General.USDHHS, Atlanta GA2010
- Smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 2000–2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;14; 57: 1226-1228
- After tobacco: what would happen if Americans stopped smoking?.Columbia University Press, New York NY2011
- Raising the excise tax on cigarettes: Effects on health and the federal budget.Congressional Budget Office, Washington DC2012 (CBO Publication No. 4036)
CDC. Smoking-Attributable mortality, morbidity, and economic costs (SAMMEC): adult SAMMEC and maternal and child health (MCH) SAMMEC software, 2002.
- Health care costs among smokers, former smokers, and never smokers in an HMO.Health Serv Res. 2003; 38: 733-749
- Changes in health care costs before and after smoking cessation.Nicotine Tob Res. 2006; 8: 393-401
- Health care costs around the time of smoking cessation.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 596-601
- Annual medical spending attributable to obesity: payer- and service-specific estimates.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w822-w831
- Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?.J Health Econ. 2001; 20: 461-494
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The Consumer Price Index. www.bls.gov/cpi/.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. National health expenditures by type of service and payers, CY 1960–2012[Internet]. Baltimore MD: CMS. www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/NHE2012.zip.
- Reconciling medical expenditure estimates from the MEPS and NHEA, 2002.Health Care Financ Rev. 2006; 28: 25-40
- Accuracy of Medicare expenditures in the medical expenditure panel survey.Inquiry. 2009; 46: 92-108
- Reconciling medical expenditure estimates from the MEPS and NHEA, 2007.Medicare Medicaid Res Rev. 2012; 2: E1-E20
- National medical spending attributable to overweight and obesity: how much, and who׳s paying?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2003; (Suppl Web Exclusives:W3-219-26)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Office of the Actuary, National Health Statistics Group. www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/2004-age-tables.pdf.
- Smoking-attributable medical care costs in the USA.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 48: 375-391
- Medical costs of smoking in the United States: estimates, their validity, and their implications.Tob Control. 1999; 8: 290-300
- Self-reported utilization of health care services: improving measurement and accuracy.Med Care Res Rev. 2006; 63: 217-235
- Validating household reports of health care use in the medical expenditure panel survey.Health Serv Res. 2009; 44: 1679-1700
- Prevalence of chronic medical conditions among jail and prison inmates in the USA compared with the general population.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2009; 63: 912-919
- Deaths from secondhand smoke exposure in the United States: economic implications.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 2173-2180
- Infant delivery costs related to maternal smoking: an update.Nicotine Tob Res. 2011; 13: 627-637
- Neonatal health care costs related to smoking during pregnancy.Health Econ. 2002; 11: 193-206
- The health consequences of smoking—50 years of progress: a report of the Surgeon General.USDHHS, CDC, Atlanta GA2014
- Smoking-attributable periodontitis in the United States: findings from NHANES III.J Periodontol. 2000; 71: 743-751
- Reducing tobacco use: a report of the Surgeon General.USDHHS, CDC, Atlanta GA2000
- Recommendations regarding interventions to reduce tobacco use and exposure to environmental tobacco smoke.Am J Prev Med. 2001; 20: 10-15
- Effect of the first federally funded U.S. antismoking national media campaign.Lancet. 2013; 382: 2003-2011
- The impact of the 2009 Federal Tobacco Excise Tax increase on youth tobacco use.National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge MA2012 (NBER Working Paper no. 18026)
- Best practices for comprehensive tobacco control programs—2013.USDHHS, CDC, Atlanta GA2013
- Health warning messages on tobacco products: a review.Tob Control. 2011; 20: 327-337
- Establishing a nicotine threshold for addiction: the implications for tobacco regulation.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331: 123-125
- Reducing the nicotine content to make cigarettes less addictive.Tob Control. 2013; 22: i14-i17