Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Suicide among adults aged 35–64 years United States, 1999–2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 321-325
- Itʼs the economy: the effect of macroeconomic variables of the rate of suicide.Psychol Med. 2006; 36: 181-189https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291705006665
Hu G, Wilcox HC, Wissow L, Baker SP. Mid-life suicide: an increasing problem in U.S. whites, 1999-2005. Am J Prev Med. 2008;35(6):589-593. 10.1016/j.amepre.2008.07.005.
- Understanding recent changes in suicide rates among the middle-aged: period or cohort effects?.Public Health Rep. 2010; 125: 680-688
Pew Research Center. How the Great Recession has changed life in America. Pew Research Center Social and Demographic Trends Project. 2010. http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/06/30/how-the-great-recession-has-changed-life-in-america/8/.
- The increasing vulnerability of older Americans: evidence from the bankruptcy courts.Harvard Law Policy Rev. 2009; 3: 87-101
- The accessibility of firearms and risk for suicide and homicide victimization among household members: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 40: 101-121
- Household firearm ownership and rates of suicide across the 50 United States.J Trauma. 2007; 62: 1029-1035https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000198214.24056.40
- Suicide, a study in sociology.Free Press, Glencoe, IL1951
- Impact of business cycles on U.S. suicide rates, 1928-2007.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 1139-1146https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2010.300010
- Impact of 2008 global economic crisis on suicide: time trend study in 54 countries. BMJ. 2013; 347: f5239https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.f5239
- The effect of the late 2000s financial crisis on suicides in Spain: an interrupted time-series analysis.Eur J Public Health. 2013; 23: 732-736https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckt083
- Increase in state suicide rates in the USA during economic recession.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1813-1814https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61910-2
- A conditional model for estimating the increase in suicides associated with the 2008–2010 economic recession in England.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2013; 67: 779-787https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2013-202645
- The public health effect of economic crises and alternative policy responses in Europe: An empirical analysis.Lancet. 2009; 374: 315-323https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61124-7
- Recession depression: mental health effects of the 2008 stock market crash.J Health Econ. 2013; 32: 1090-1104https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2013.09.002
- CDC’s National Violent Death Reporting System: background and methodology.Inj Prev. 2004; 10: 47-52https://doi.org/10.1136/ip.2003.003434
- Surveillance of sex differences in completed suicide among older adults: data from the National Violent Death Reporting System—17 U.S. States, 2007-2009.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2011; 8: 3479-3495https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8083479
- Reducing ‘unknown’ data in violent death surveillance: a study of death certificates, coroner/medical examiner and police reports from the National Violent Death Reporting System, 2003–2005.Homicide Stud. 2009; 13: 385-397https://doi.org/10.1177/1088767909348323
- Suicide categories by patterns of known risk factors: a latent class analysis.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2011; 68: 935-941https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.85
- Health problems and male firearm suicide.Suicide Life Threat Behav. 2013; 43: 1-16https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1943-278X.2012.00123.x
- Prevalence of household firearms and firearm-storage practices in the 50 states and the District of Columbia: findings from the Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System.Pediatrics. 2002; 116: e370-e376https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2005-0300
- Comprehensive Textbook of Suicidology.Guilford Press, New York2000
- The epidemiology and prevention of suicide by hanging: a systematic review.Int J Epidemiol. 2005; 34: 433-442https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh398
Violence Policy Center. A shrinking minority: the continuing decline of gun ownership in America. 2011. http://www.vpc.org/studies/ownership.pdf.
Saad L. self-reported gun ownership in U.S. is highest since 1993. 2011; http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx.
- Birth and Fortune: The Impact of Numbers on Personal Welfare.Basic Books, New York1980
- Rising out-of-pocket spending for chronic conditions: a ten-year trend.Health Aff. 2009; 28: 15-25https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.28.1.15