Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- National diabetes statistics report: estimates of diabetes and its burden in the United States, 2014.USDHHS, Atlanta, GA2014
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metformin.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 393-403https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa012512
- Prevention of type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus by diet and physical exercise. The 6-year Malmo feasibility study.Diabetologia. 1991; 34: 891-898https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00400196
- Effects of diet and exercise in preventing NIDDM in people with impaired glucose tolerance. The Da Qing IGT and Diabetes Study.Diabetes Care. 1997; 20: 537-544https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.20.4.537
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose tolerance.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 1343-1350https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM200105033441801
- 10-year follow-up of diabetes incidence and weight loss in the Diabetes Prevention Program Outcomes Study.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1677-1686https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(09)61457-4
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program into the community. The DEPLOY Pilot Study.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 357-363https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.06.035
- A systematic review of the translational research on the Diabetes Prevention Program.Transl Behav Med. 2011; 1: 480-491https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-011-0062-y
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle intervention for weight loss into primary care: a randomized trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 113-121https://doi.org/10.1001/2013.jamainternmed.987
- Weight loss through living well: translating an effective lifestyle intervention into clinical practice.Diabetes Educ. 2009; 35 (208): 199-204https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721709332815
- A community-based diabetes prevention program: evaluation of the group lifestyle balance program delivered by diabetes educators.Diabetes Educ. 2011; 37: 659-668https://doi.org/10.1177/0145721711411930
- Weight loss success in metabolic syndrome by telephone interventions: results from the SHINE Study.J Gen Intern Med. 2013; 28: 1620-1628https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-013-2529-7
- Diabetes risk reduction behaviors among U.S. adults with prediabetes.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 403-409https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.12.029
- Awareness of prediabetes—United States, 2005-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2012; 62: 209-212
- Social learning theory and the Health Belief Model.Health Edu Q. 1998; 15: 175-183https://doi.org/10.1177/109019818801500203
CDC. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2005-2008 [codebook, analytic guidelines, datasets]. August 7, 2014. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes.htm.
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J Gen Intern Med. 2001; 16: 606-613https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1525-1497.2001.016009606.x
- How does physician advice influence patient behavior? Evidence for a priming effect.Arch Fam Med. 2000; 9: 426-433https://doi.org/10.1001/archfami.9.5.426
- The relationship between glucose and incident cardiovascular events. A metaregression analysis of published data from 20 studies of 95,783 individuals followed for 12.4 years.Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 233-240https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.22.2.233
- Longitudinal association of glycemia and microalbuminuria: the Framingham Offspring Study.Diabetes Care. 2002; 25: 977-983https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.25.6.977
- Fasting and 2-hour postchallenge serum glucose measures and risk of incident cardiovascular events in the elderly: the Cardiovascular Health Study.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 209-216https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.162.2.209
- Self-reported prediabetes and risk-reduction activities—United States, 2006.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1203-1205
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Topic Update in Progress, Abnormal Glucose and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Adults: Screening. December 20, 2014. www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/UpdateSummaryDraft/screening-for-abnormal-glucose-and-type-2-diabetes-mellitus.