Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2013.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2014; 63: 1-168
- Date violence and date rape among adolescents: associations with disordered eating behaviors and psychological health.Child Abuse Negl. 2002; 26: 455-473https://doi.org/10.1016/S0145-2134(02)00322-8
- Consequences of teen dating violence: understanding intervening variables in ecological context.Violence Against Women. 2008; 14: 998-1013https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801208322058
- The longitudinal association of adolescent dating violence with psychiatric disorders and functioning.J Interpers Violence. 2009; 24: 1964-1979https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260508327700
- Adolescent dating violence: prevalence, risk factors, health outcomes, and implications for clinical practice.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 2003; 32: 227-238https://doi.org/10.1177/0884217503252033
- Dating violence against adolescent girls and associated substance use, unhealthy weight control, sexual risk behavior, pregnancy, and suicidality.JAMA. 2001; 286: 572-579https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.286.5.572
- Longitudinal associations between teen dating violence victimization and adverse health outcomes.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 71-78https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1029
- Dating violence and the sexual health of black adolescent females.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: e72https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.107.5.e72
- Linking dating violence, peer violence, and suicidal behaviors among high-risk youth.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 34: 30-38https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2007.09.020
- Beyond correlates: a review of risk and protective factors for adolescent dating violence perpetration.J Youth Adolesc. 2013; 42: 633-649https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-013-9907-7
- Contextual factors and health risk behaviors associated with date fighting among high school students.Women Health. 2008; 47: 1-22https://doi.org/10.1080/03630240802132286
- Risk and protective factors distinguishing profiles of adolescent peer and dating violence perpetration.J Adolesc Health. 2011; 48: 344-350https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2010.07.030
- Neighborhood predictors of dating violence victimization and perpetration in young adulthood: a multilevel study.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 1737-1744https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.169730
- Neighborhood-level factors associated with physical dating violence perpetration: results of a representative survey conducted in Boston, MA.J Urban Health. 2011; 88: 201-213https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-011-9543-z
WHO. Promoting gender equality to prevent violence against women. Geneva; 2009. www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/gender.pdf. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Violence Against Wives: A Case Against the Patriarchy.Free Press, New York1979
- Women, Violence, and Social Change.Psychology Press, London1992https://doi.org/10.4324/9780203450734
- Toward an integration of theory and research on the status of women.Gend Soc. 1993; 7: 347-378https://doi.org/10.1177/089124393007003003
- A systematic qualitative review of risk and protective factors for sexual violence perpetration.Trauma Violence Abuse. 2013; 14: 133-167https://doi.org/10.1177/1524838012470031
- What accounts for demographic differences in trajectories of adolescent dating violence? An examination of intrapersonal and contextual mediators.J Adolesc Health. 2008; 42: 596-604https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2007.11.005
- Longitudinal predictors of serious physical and sexual dating violence victimization during adolescence.Prev Med. 2004; 39: 1007-1016https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2004.04.014
- Losing the “gender” in gender-based violence: the missteps of research on dating and intimate partner violence.Violence Women. 2010; 16: 348-354https://doi.org/10.1177/1077801209361127
- Gender attitudes and violence among urban adolescent boys in India.Int J Adolesc Youth. 2012; 19: 99-112https://doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2012.716762
- The effects of childhood exposure to marital violence on adolescent gender-role beliefs and dating violence.Psychol Women Q. 2004; 28: 344-357https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6402.2004.00151.x
- Gender-equitable attitudes, bystander behavior, and recent abuse perpetration against heterosexual dating partners of male high school athletes.Am J Public Health. 2013; 103: 1882-1887https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301443
- Patriarchy and violence against wives: the impact of structural and normative factors.in: Straus M.A. Gelles R.J. Physical Violence in American Families: Risk Factors and Adaptations to Violence in 8,145 Families. Transaction Publishers, New Brunswick, NJ1990
- State-to-state differences in social inequality and social bonds in relation to assaults on wives in the United States.J Comp Fam Stud. 1994; 25: 7-24
UN Development Program. 2013 Human Development Report: the rise of the South: human progress in a diverse world. New York, NY: UNDP; 2013. http://hdr.undp.org/en/2013-report. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Methodology of the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System—2013.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2013; 62: 1-20
- Overview of maternal mortality in the United States.Semin Perinatol. 2012; 36: 2-6https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semperi.2011.09.002
- Births: final data for 2012.Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2013; 62: 1-86
Center for American Women and Politics. Fact sheet: women in state legislatures 2012. New Brunswick, NJ; 2012. www.cawp.rutgers.edu/fast_facts/levels_of_office/documents/stleg12.pdf. Accessed September 21, 2014.
U.S. Census Bureau. American Community Survey: American FactFinder: 2010-2012, 3-Year Estimates. 2013. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- Gender inequality, violence against women, and fear.J Interpers Violence. 2004; 19: 655-675https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260504263868
- An evaluation of Safe Dates, an adolescent dating violence prevention program.Am J Public Health. 1998; 88: 45-50https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.88.1.45
- A school-based program to prevent adolescent dating violence: a cluster randomized trial.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009; 163: 692-699https://doi.org/10.1001/archpediatrics.2009.69
- One-year follow-up of a coach-delivered dating violence prevention program: a cluster randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 108-112https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.03.007
CDC. The DELTA FOCUS program: intimate partner violence is preventable. Atlanta, GA: 2015. www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/deltafocus/. Accessed April 2, 2015.
The White House, Office of the Press Secretary. Coordination of policies and programs to promote gender equality and empower women and girls globally. Washington, DC: 2013. www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2013/01/30/presidential-memorandum-coordination-policies-and-programs-promote-gende. Accessed September 21, 2014.
- A critical review of theoretical frameworks for dating violence: comparing the dating and marital fields.Aggress Violent Behav. 2008; 13: 185-194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.avb.2008.03.003
- Applied Multiple Regression/Correlation Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.3rd ed. Routledge, New York2003