Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Pharmaceutical overdose deaths, United States, 2010.JAMA. 2013; 309: 657-659https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.272
- Drug poisoning deaths in the United States, 1980−2008.NCHS Data Brief. 2011; 81: 1-8
- Drug-poisoning deaths involving opioid analgesics: United States, 1999−2011.NCHS Data Brief. 2014; 166: 1-8
- Increase in fatal poisonings involving opioid analgesics in the United Sates, 1999-2006.NCHS Data Brief. 2009; 22: 1-8
- Vital signs: variation among states in prescribing of opioid pain relievers and benzodiazepines—United States, 2012.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 563-568
- One hundred seventy two deaths involving the use of oxycodone in Palm Beach County.J Forensic Sci. 2005; 50: 192-195https://doi.org/10.1520/JFS2004194
- Oxycodone involvement in drug abuse deaths: a DAWN-based classification scheme applied to an oxycodone postmortem database containing over 1000 cases.J Anal Toxicol. 2003; 27: 57-67https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/27.2.57
- Oxycodone involvement in drug abuse deaths. II. Evidence for toxic multiple drug-drug interactions.J Anal Toxicol. 2004; 28: 217-225https://doi.org/10.1093/jat/28.4.217
- National trends in pharmaceutical opioid related overdose deaths compared to other substance related overdose deaths: 1999−2009.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013; 131: 263-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.11.018
- Nonmedical-use related emergency department visits and drug overdose deaths involving the combination of opioid analgesics and benzodiazepines in the United States, 2004−2011.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 493-501https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.03.040
- Polydrug abuse: a review of opioid and benzodiazepine combination use.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012; 125: 8-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.07.004
- Abuse of prescription drugs and the risk of addiction.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2006; 83: S4-S7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2005.10.020
Cai R, Crane E, Poneleit K, Paulozzi L. Emergency department visits involving nonmedical use of selected prescription drugs in the United States, 2004−2008. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2010;24(3):293−297. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/15360288.2010.503730.
- The TEDS Report: Admissions Reporting Benzodiazepine and Narcotic Pain Reliever Abuse at Treatment Entry.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MDDecember 13, 2012
- Benzodiazepines: a major component in unintentional prescription drug overdoses with opioid analgesics.J Pharm Pract. 2014; 27: 5-16https://doi.org/10.1177/0897190013515001
- Mechanisms of fatal opioid overdose.Addiction. 1999; 94: 961-972https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.1999.9479612.x
- Opioids and the control of respiration.Br J Anaesth. 2008; 100: 747-758https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/aen094
- Comparison of toxicity associated with nonmedical use of benzodiazepines with buprenorphine or methadone.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014; 138: 118-123https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.02.014
- Doctor and pharmacy shopping for controlled substances.Med Care. 2012; 50: 494-500https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e31824ebd81
- Benzodiazepine prescribing patterns and deaths from drug overdose among US veterans receiving opioid analgesics: case-cohort study.BMJ. 2015; 350: h2698https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2698
Dasgupta N, Funk MJ, Proescholdbell S, Hirsch A, Ribisl KM, Marshall S. Cohort study of the impact of high-dose opioid analgesics on overdose mortality. Pain Med. In press. Online September 2, 2015. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/pme.12907.
- Utah Department of H. Utah clinical guidelines on prescribing opioids for treatment of pain.J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother. 2010; 24: 219-235https://doi.org/10.3109/15360288.2010.503265
Washington Agency Medical Directors Group. Interagency guideline on opioid dosing for chronic noncancer pain. www.agencymeddirectors.wa.gov/Files/OpioidGdline.pdf. Published 2010. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Canadian guideline for safe and effective use of opioids for chronic noncancer pain: clinical summary for family physicians. Part 2: special populations.Can Fam Physician. 2011; 57: 1269-1276
- Preventing misuse of prescription opioid drugs.City Health Inform. 2011; 30: 23-30
- American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP) guidelines for responsible opioid prescribing in chronic non-cancer pain: part 2−guidance.Pain Physician. 2012; 15(3): S67-S116
- 2012 Beers Criteria Update Expert Panel. American Geriatrics Society updated Beers Criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012; 60: 616-631
- Updating the Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults: results of a U.S. consensus panel of experts.Arch Intern Med. 2003; 163: 2716-2724https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.163.22.2716
- Defining inappropriate practices in prescribing for elderly people: a national consensus panel.CMAJ. 1997; 156: 385-391
- Guidelines for prescribing psychoactive drugs in the elderly: part 1.Geriatrics. 1991; 46: 40-47
- Benzodiazepine Dependence, Toxicity, and Abuse. American Psychiatric Publishing, Arlington, VA1990
- Opioid dose and drug-related mortality in patients with nonmalignant pain.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 686-691https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2011.117
- Impact of the combined use of benzodiazepines and opioids on workers’ compensation claim cost.J Occup Environ Med. 2014; 56: 973-978https://doi.org/10.1097/JOM.0000000000000203
- Regional variation in benzodiazepine prescribing for patients on opioid agonist therapy.Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65: 4https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201300419
- Concomitant medication among persistent opioid users with chronic non-malignant pain.Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2012; 56: 1267-1276https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-6576.2012.02766.x
- Trends in benzodiazepine prescription and co-prescription with opioids in the United States, 2002−2009.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 488
- Prescribing trends in psychotropic medications: primary care, psychiatry, and other medical specialties.JAMA. 1998; 279: 526-531https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.279.7.526
- National patterns of medication treatment for depression, 1987 to 2001.Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry. 2001; 3: 232-235https://doi.org/10.4088/PCC.v03n0611
- Physicians’ perspectives on prescribing benzodiazepines for older adults: a qualitative study.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 303-307https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-006-0021-3
- GPs’ management strategies for patients with insomnia: a survey and qualitative interview study.Br J Gen Pract. 2014; 64: e112-e119https://doi.org/10.3399/bjgp14X677176
- Opioid prescriptions for chronic pain and overdose: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2010; 152: 85-92https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-152-2-201001190-00006
- Risk of adverse health outcomes with increasing duration and regularity of opioid therapy.J Am Board Fam Med. 2014; 27: 329-338https://doi.org/10.3122/jabfm.2014.03.130290
Food and Drug Administration. Extended-release (ER) and long-acting (LA) opioid analgesics risk evaluation and mitigation strategy (REMS). www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/DrugSafety/PostmarketDrugSafetyInformationforPatientsandProviders/UCM311290.pdf. Published December 2014. Accessed June 12, 2015.
- Group Health’s initiative to avert opioid misuse and overdose among patients with chronic noncancer pain.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1420-1424https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0759
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. VA initiative shows early promise in reducing use of opioids for chronic pain. www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=2529. Published February 25, 2014. Accessed June 30, 2015.
CDC. Visits to physician offices, hospital outpatient departments, and hospital emergency departments, by age, sex, and race. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2012/088.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed June 21, 2015.
CDC. Persons with hospital stays in the past year, by selected characteristics: United States, selected years 1997−2012. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2012/093.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed June 21, 2015.
CDC. Expenses for health care and prescribed medicine, by selected population characteristics: United States, selected years 1987−2010. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2014/046.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed June 30, 2015.
CDC. Severe headaches or migraine, low back pain, and neck pain among adults aged 18 and over, by selected characteristics: United States, selected years 1997−2013. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hus/2012/093.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed June 21, 2015.
- Gender differences in anxiety disorders: prevalence, course of illness, comorbidity and burden of illness.J Psychiatr Res. 2011; 45: 1027-1235https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2011.03.006
- Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States. Results from the National Comorbidity Survey.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 1994; 51: 8-19https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1994.03950010008002
- Benzodiazepine use in the United States.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 136-142https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.1763
- National Institutes of Health Pathways to Prevention Workshop: the role of opioids in the treatment of chronic pain.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 295-300https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-2775
- Benzodiazepines in long-term opioid therapy.Pain Med. 2013; 14: 1441-1446https://doi.org/10.1111/pme.12236
- de Vries F, Goldenberg JS, et al. Potential impact of benzodiazepine use on the rate of hip fractures in five large European countries and the United States.Calcif Tissue Int. 2012; 91: 24-31https://doi.org/10.1007/s00223-012-9603-8
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Emergency department visits involving nonmedical use of the anti-anxiety medication alprazolam. http://archive.samhsa.gov/data/2k14/DAWN153/sr153-alprazolam-2014.pdf. Published May 22, 2014. Accessed June 24, 2015.
- Doctor shopping: a phenomenon of many themes.Innov Clin Neurosci. 2012; 9: 42-46
- Prescription drug monitoring programs, a response to doctor shopping: purpose, effectiveness, and directions for future research.Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2012; 33: 319-328https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840.2011.654046
Finklea K, Sacco LN, Bagalman E. Prescription drug monitoring programs. Congressional Research Service: Washington, DC. http://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42593.pdf. Published March 24, 2014. Accessed June 30, 2015.
- Usefulness of prescription monitoring programs for surveillance—analysis of schedule II opioid prescription data in Massachusetts, 1996−2006.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2010; 19: 115-123https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.1878
- Most primary care physicians are aware of prescription drug monitoring programs, but many find the data difficult to access.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 484-492https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.1085