Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Health Policy Briefs. Reducing waste in health care. Health Affairs. Washington, DC. www.healthaffairs.org/healthpolicybriefs/brief.php?brief_id=82. Published December 13, 2012. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Eliminating waste in U.S. health care.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1513-1516https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.362
- Evidence-based de-implementation for contradicted, unproven, and aspiring healthcare practices.Implement Sci. 2014; 9: 1https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-9-1
- Measuring low-value care in Medicare.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1067-1076https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.1541
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Enhancing Use and Quality of Colorectal Cancer Screening. http://www.ahrq.gov/sites/default/files/wysiwyg/research/findings/evidence-based-reports/crcpro-evidence-report.pdf. Published February 2010. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Overuse of screening colonoscopy in the Medicare population.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 1335-1343https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2011.212
American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Foundation. Choosing Wisely Initiative. www.choosingwisely.org/doctor-patient-lists/. Accessed October 1, 2015.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Vital Statistics Report−Deaths: Leading Causes for 2010. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr62/nvsr62_06.pdf. Published December 20, 2013. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and cancer: an updated systematic evidence review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 159: 824-834https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-159-12-201312170-00729
Nutrition Business Journal. Nutrition Business Journal Supplement Report 2011: an analysis of markets, trends, competition and strategy in the U.S. dietary supplement industry. http://newhope360.com/site-files/newhope360.com/files/uploads/2011/10/TOCEXECSUMM110930.supp%20report%20FINAL-2.pdf. Published October 2013. Accessed October 2015.
- Why U.S. adults use dietary supplements.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 355-361https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.2299
- Differences by race/ethnicity in older adults’ beliefs about the relative importance of dietary supplements vs prescription medications: results from the SURE Study.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012; 112: 1223-1229https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2012.05.006
- Screening for prostate cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 157: 120-134https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-157-2-201207170-00459
- Screening and prostate cancer mortality: results of the European Randomised Study of Screening for Prostate Cancer (ERSPC) at 13 years of follow-up.Lancet. 2014; 384: 2027-2035https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60525-0
- Prostate cancer screening in the randomized Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian Cancer Screening Trial: mortality results after 13 years of follow-up.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 125-132https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djr500
- Recommendations on screening for prostate cancer with the prostate-specific antigen test.CMAJ. 2014; 186: 1225-1234https://doi.org/10.1503/cmaj.140703
- Screening for prostate cancer: a guidance statement from the Clinical Guidelines Committee of the American College of Physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 761-769https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-10-201305210-00633
- Total-body screening: preliminary results of a pilot randomized controlled trial.J Am Coll Radiol. 2007; 4: 604-611https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacr.2007.04.006
- Whole-body CT screening: spectrum of findings and recommendations in 1,192 patients.Radiology. 2005; 237: 385-394https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2372041741
- Cost-effectiveness of whole-body CT screening.Radiology. 2005; 234: 415-422https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2342032061
- Impact of whole-body CT screening on the cost-effectiveness of CT colonography.Radiology. 2009; 251: 156-165https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2511080590
- The use of computed tomography in pediatrics and the associated radiation exposure and estimated cancer risk.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 700-707https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2013.311
- Projected cancer risks from computed tomographic scans performed in the United States in 2007.Arch Intern Med. 2009; 169: 2071-2077https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2009.440
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Facts about generic drugs. www.fda.gov/drugs/resourcesforyou/consumers/buyingusingmedicinesafely/understandinggenericdrugs/ucm167991.htm. Accessed October 10, 2015.
- Physician awareness of drug cost: a systematic review.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e283https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040283
- Patients’ perceptions of generic medications.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: 546-556https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.28.2.546
- In Medicare Part D plans, low or zero copays and other features to encourage the use of generic statins work, could save billions.Health Aff (Millwood). 2012; 31: 2266-2275https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2012.0019
- Comparative effectiveness of generic and brand-name statins on patient outcomes: a cohort study.Ann Intern Med. 2014; 161: 400-407https://doi.org/10.7326/M13-2942
- Screening for cervical cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann Intern Med. 2012; 156: 880-891https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-156-12-201206190-00424
- Views of U.S. physicians about controlling health care costs.JAMA. 2013; 310: 380-388https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.8278
- Improving occupational physicians’ adherence to a practice guideline: feasibility and impact of a tailored implementation strategy.BMC Med Educ. 2015; 15: 82https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-015-0364-8
- Clinical practice variation.Med J Aust. 2010; 193(8): S97-S99
- Factors influencing the implementation of clinical guidelines for health care professionals: a systematic meta-review.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2008; 8: 38https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6947-8-38
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Patient and physician attitudes and behaviors associated with DTC promotion of prescription drugs−summary of FDA survey research results. www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ScienceResearch/ResearchAreas/DrugMarketingAdvertisingandCommunicationsResearch/ucm152860.pdf. Published November 19, 2004. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Spending patterns in region of residency training and subsequent expenditures for care provided by practicing physicians for Medicare beneficiaries.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2385-2393https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.15973
- Heuristic decision making in medicine.Dialogues Clin Neurosci. 2012; 14: 77-89
- Evidence-based medicine and the anecdote: uneasy bedfellows or ideal couple?.Paediatr Child Health. 2006; 11: 665-668
- An evaluation of the delivery of clinical preventive services in the Joint Task Force National Capital Region Medical.Mil Med. 2011; 176: 679-684https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-10-00236
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Doing better by doing less: approaches to tackle overuse of services. http://www.rwjf.org/content/dam/farm/reports/issue_briefs/2013/rwjf403697. Published January 2013. Accessed October 15, 2015.
- Choosing wisely—the politics and economics of labeling low-value services.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 589-592https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1314965
- Physician-patient communication. The relationship with malpractice claims among primary care physicians and surgeons.JAMA. 1997; 277: 553-559https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1997.03540310051034
- Do guidelines influence practice?.Heart. 2003; 89: 349-352https://doi.org/10.1136/heart.89.3.349
- Heart failure guidelines, performance measures, and the practice of medicine: mind the gap.J Card Fail. 2011; 17: 90
- Clinical guidelines and performance measures; responsible guidance and accountability.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010; 56: 2081-2083https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2010.10.004
- The effect of defaults in an electronic health record on laboratory test ordering practices for pediatric patients.Health Psychol. 2013; 32: 995-1002https://doi.org/10.1037/a0032925
Consumer Reports Health. Whole-body scans to screen for cancer: they don’t help find cancer—and may do more harm than good. http://consumerhealthchoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ChoosingWiselyBodyScansACPM-ER.pdf. Published August 2015. Accessed February 7, 2016.
Consumer Reports Health. Dietary supplements to prevent heart disease or cancer: they don’t help—and some can be harmful. http://consumerhealthchoices.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/ChoosingWiselySupplementsACPM-ER.pdf. Published August 2015 Accessed February 7, 2016.