Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
Fryar CD CM, Ogden CL. Prevalence of overweight, obesity, and extreme obesity among adults: United States, 1960–1962 through 2011-2012. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity_adult_11_12/obesity_adult_11_12.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed April 7, 2016.
Obesity and American Indians/Alaska Natives. Minority population profiles 2013. www.minorityhealth.hhs.gov/omh/browse.aspx?lvl=4&lvlID=40. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Trends and disparities in heart disease mortality among American Indians/Alaska Natives, 1990–2009.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S359-S367https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301715
- Systematic review of health disparities for cardiovascular diseases and associated factors among American Indian and Alaska Native populations.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e80973https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0080973
- Racial disparities in health status: a comparison of the morbidity among American Indian and U.S. adults with diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2010; 33: 1463-1470https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-1652
- Diabetes in Navajo youth prevalence, incidence, and clinical characteristics: the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study.Diabetes Care. 2009; 32: S141-S147https://doi.org/10.2337/dc09-S206
- Leading causes of death and all-cause mortality in American Indians and Alaska Natives.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S303-S311https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301798
- Case management to reduce cardiovascular disease risk in American Indians and Alaska Natives with diabetes: results from the Special Diabetes Program for Indians Healthy Heart Demonstration Project.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: e158-e164https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302108
- Diabetes-related mortality among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 1990–2009.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S496-S503https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.301968
- Dietary patterns and their association with cardiovascular risk factors in a population undergoing lifestyle changes: the Strong Heart Study.Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2013; 23: 528-535https://doi.org/10.1016/j.numecd.2011.12.005
- Physical activity and fruit and vegetable intake among American Indians.J Community Health. 2012; 37: 65-71https://doi.org/10.1007/s10900-011-9417-z
- Patterns of health risk behaviors for chronic disease: a comparison between adolescent and adult American Indians living on or near reservations in Montana.J Adolesc Health. 1997; 21: 25-32https://doi.org/10.1016/S1054-139X(96)00274-1
- Changing patterns in health behaviors and risk factors related to cardiovascular disease among American Indians and Alaska Natives.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 677-683https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.164285
- Evidence based physical activity for school-age youth.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 732-737https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2005.01.055
- 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS Guideline for the Management of Overweight and Obesity in Adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Obesity Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2985-3023https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2013.11.004
- Physical activity and public health: updated recommendation for adults from the American College of Sports Medicine and the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2007; 116: 1081https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.107.185649
- The ‘freshman 5’: a meta-analysis of weight gain in the freshman year of college.J Am Coll Health. 2009; 58: 161-166https://doi.org/10.1080/07448480903221392
American College Health Association-National College Health Assessment II: Reference Group Executive Summary. www.acha-ncha.org/docs/ACHA-NCHA-II_ReferenceGroup_ExecutiveSummary_Spring2014.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed March 4, 2015.
- Racial/ethnic differences in weight perception.Obesity. 2009; 17: 790-795https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.603
- Satisfied or unaware? Racial differences in perceived weight status.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2006; 3: 40https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-3-40
- Sex, race/ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and BMI in relation to self‐perception of overweight.Obes Res. 2002; 10: 345-350https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2002.48
- Factors associated with underestimation of weight status among Caucasian, Latino, Filipino, and Korean Americans—DiLH Survey.Ethn Dis. 2015; 25: 200
- Weight loss practices and body weight perceptions among U.S. college students.J Am Coll Health. 2008; 56: 579-584https://doi.org/10.3200/JACH.56.5.579-584
- Physical activity, food choice, and weight management goals and practices among U.S. college students.Am J Prev Med. 2000; 18: 18-27https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(99)00107-5
- Weight perceptions and weight control practices in American Indian and Alaska Native adolescents: a national survey.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1994; 148: 567-571https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.1994.02170060021003
- Does perception equal reality? Weight misperception in relation to weight-related attitudes and behaviors among overweight and obese U.S. adults.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2011; 8: 20https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-8-20
- Body size misperception: a novel determinant in the obesity epidemic.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1695-1697https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2010.314
YRBS Questionnaire Content 1991–2015. 2014:78. www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/data/yrbs/pdf/crosswalk_1991-2015.pdf. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Validation of three food frequency questionnaires and 24-hour recalls with serum carotenoid levels in a sample of African-American adults.Am J Epidemiol. 2000; 152: 1072-1080https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/152.11.1072
- Health and behavioral consequences of binge drinking in college: a national survey of students at 140 campuses.JAMA. 1994; 272: 1672-1677https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1994.03520210056032
Lust K. Health and health-related behaviors: 2011 College Student Health Survey Report. 2011;60. www.bhs.umn.edu/surveys/survey-results/2011CSHS_Report_Postsecondary_Students.zip. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Health behaviors and risk factors among American Indians and Alaska Natives, 2000–2010.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: S481-S489https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.014.301879
- The relation between body size perception and change in body mass index over 13 years: the Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2009; 169: 857-866https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwn412
- Self-perception of weight appropriateness in the United States.Am J Prev Med. 2003; 24: 332-339https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(03)00020-5
- College students’ barriers and enablers for healthful weight management: a qualitative study.J Nutr Educ Behav. 2009; 41: 281-286https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2008.04.354
- Weight loss interventions in young people (18 to 25 year olds): a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2010; 11: 580-592https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2009.00673.x
- Young adults’ performance in a low‐intensity weight loss campaign.Obesity. 2012; 20: 2314-2316https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2012.30
- Design and implementation of a randomized controlled social and mobile weight loss trial for young adults (project SMART).Contemp Clin Trials. 2014; 37: 10-18https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2013.11.001
- Weight loss intervention for young adults using mobile technology: design and rationale of a randomized controlled trial—Cell Phone Intervention for You (CITY).Contemp Clin Trials. 2014; 37: 333-341https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cct.2014.01.003
- Weight gain prevention in young adults: design of the study of novel approaches to weight gain prevention (SNAP) randomized controlled trial.BMC Public Health. 2013; 13: 300https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-13-300
- Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program Into American Indian and Alaska Native Communities Results from the Special Diabetes Program for Indians Diabetes Prevention Demonstration Project.Diabetes Care. 2013; 36: 2027-2034https://doi.org/10.2337/dc12-1250
- A comparison of direct vs. self‐report measures for assessing height, weight and body mass index: a systematic review.Obes Rev. 2007; 8: 307-326https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2007.00347.x
- Accuracy of body mass index in diagnosing obesity in the adult general population.Int J Obes (Lond). 2008; 32: 959-966https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.11
- The International Classification of Adult Underweight, Overweight and Obesity According to BMI.WHO, Geneva2004