Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Mortality in mental disorders and global disease burden implications: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 334-341https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.2502
- Global burden of disease attributable to mental and substance use disorders: findings from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1575-1586https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61611-6
- Suicidal ideation. The clinical utility of the K10.Crisis. 2009; 30: 39-42https://doi.org/10.1027/0227-5910.30.1.39
- Dose-response association between psychological distress and risk of completed suicide in the general population.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 1254-1256https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.2107
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Suicide and self-inflicted injury. www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/suicide.htm. Published 2015. Accessed September 7, 2015.
- Relative risk of cardiovascular and cancer mortality in people with serious mental illness from the United Kingdom’s General Practice Research Database.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2007; 64: 242-249https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.64.2.242
- The poor physical health of people with mental illness.West J Med. 2001; 175: 329-332https://doi.org/10.1136/ewjm.175.5.329
- Physical health disparities and mental illness: the scandal of premature mortality.Br J Psychiatry. 2011; 199: 441-442https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.111.092718
- The physical health of the seriously mentally ill: an overview of the literature.J Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs. 2012; 19: 638-646https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2850.2011.01831.x
- Physical health monitoring of patients with schizophrenia.Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161: 1334-1349https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.161.8.1334
- Smoking and mental illness: a population-based prevalence study.JAMA. 2000; 284: 2606-2610https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.20.2606
- Depression and Smoking in the U.S. Household Population Ages 20 and Over, 2005-2008.National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, MDApril 2010
- Smoking and mental illness: results from population surveys in Australia and the United States.BMC Public Health. 2009; 9: 285https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-9-285
- Non-specific psychological distress, smoking status and smoking cessation: United States National Health Interview Survey 2005.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 256https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-256
- Smoking and mental health. Royal College of Psychiatrists Council Report CR178.RCP, London2013
- Lancet. 2013; 381: 1071https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60677-7
- Screening for serious mental illness in the general population.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003; 60: 184-189https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.60.2.184
- Short screening scales to monitor population prevalences and trends in non-specific psychological distress.Psychol Med. 2002; 32: 959-976https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702006074
- The performance of the K6 and K10 screening scales for psychological distress in the Australian National Survey of Mental Health and Well-Being.Psychol Med. 2003; 33: 357-362https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702006700
- Characteristics of adults with serious mental illness in the United States household population in 2007.Psychiatric Serv. 2012; 63: 1042-1046https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201100442
- Characteristics of adults with serious psychological distress as measured by the K6 scale: United States, 2001-04.Adv Data. 2007; 382: 1-18
- Serious psychological distress, as measured by the K6, and mortality.Ann Epidemiol. 2009; 19: 202-209https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2008.12.005
- Smoking characteristics of adults with selected lifetime mental illnesses: results from the 2007 National Health Interview Survey.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 2464-2472https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.188136
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Current cigarette smoking among adults in the United States. www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/adult_data/cig_smoking/. Published 2016. Accessed April 20, 2016.
- A prospective study of PTSD and early-age heart disease mortality among Vietnam veterans: implications for surveillance and prevention.Psychosom Med. 2008; 70: 668-676https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e31817bccaf
- Association of psychiatric illness and all-cause mortality in the National Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care System.Psychosom Med. 2010; 72: 817-822https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e3181eb33e9
- Patterns of tobacco-related mortality among individuals diagnosed with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or depression.J Psychiatr Res. 2014; 48: 102-110https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychires.2013.09.014
- The relationship between major depression and nonsuicide mortality for U.S. adults: the importance of health behaviors.J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2014; 69: 622-632https://doi.org/10.1093/geronb/gbu009
- Role of severity and gender in the association between late-life depression and all-cause mortality.Int Psychogeriatr. 2013; 25: 677-684https://doi.org/10.1017/S1041610212002190
- Six-year survival of depressed elderly Finns: a community study.Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 1997; 12: 942-950https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1166(199709)12:9<942::AID-GPS668>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Anxiety and the risk of death in older men and women.Br J Psychiatry. 2004; 185: 399-404https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.185.5.399
- Cigarette smoking among adults—United States, 1992, and changes in the definition of current cigarette smoking.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1994; 43: 342
- Adult current smoking: differences in definitions and prevalence estimates—NHIS and NSDUH, 2008.J Environ Public Health. 2012; 2012: 918368https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/918368
National Center for Health Statistics, Office of Analysis and Epidemiology. Public-use linked mortality file. www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/data_linkage/mortality.htm. Published 2015.
- Smoking-attributable mortality, years of potential life lost, and productivity losses—United States, 2000-2004.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1226-1228
Wilmoth J, Andreev K, Jdanov D, Glei D. Methods protocol for the human mortality database. www.mortality.org/Public/Docs/MethodsProtocol.pdf. Published 2007. Accessed September 8, 2015.
- Chapter 3: Cohort life tables by smoking status, removing lung cancer as a cause of death.Risk Anal. 2012; 32: S25-S38https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01662.x
- Impact of reduced tobacco smoking on lung cancer mortality in the United States during 1975-2000.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 541-548https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djs136
- Chapter 5: Actual and counterfactual smoking prevalence rates in the U.S. population via microsimulation.Risk Anal. 2012; 32: S51-S68https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1539-6924.2011.01775.x
- Tobacco control and the reduction in smoking-related premature deaths in the United States, 1964-2012.JAMA. 2014; 311: 164-171https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.285112
- 21st-century hazards of smoking and benefits of cessation in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 341-350https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1211128
- Economic cost of smoking in people with mental disorders in the UK.Tob Control. 2015; 24: 462-468https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051464
- The Health Consequences of Smoking—50 Years of Progress: A Report of the Surgeon General.U.S. DHHS, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health, Atlanta, GA2014
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Current statistics on the prevalence and characteristics of people experiencing homelessness in the United States. Published 2011. 2015 (September 29).
- Department of Defense. 2011 Health Related Behaviors Survey of Active Duty Military Personnel. Published 2013.
- Homelessness, cigarette smoking and desire to quit: results from a U.S. national study.Addiction. 2013; 108: 2009-2018https://doi.org/10.1111/add.12292
- Incarceration and current tobacco smoking among Black and Caribbean Black Americans in the National Survey of American Life.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 2275-2282https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302772
- Prison tobacco control policies and deaths from smoking in United States prisons: population based retrospective analysis.BMJ. 2014; 349: g4542https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g4542
- Tobacco use among those with serious psychological distress: results from the national survey of drug use and health, 2002.Addict Behav. 2008; 33: 582-592https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2007.11.007
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. The NSDUH Report: Smoking and Mental Illness. Rockville, MD; February 5, 2013.
- A Hidden Epidemic: Tobacco Use and Mental Illness.Legacy Foundation, Washington, DCJune 2011
- An urgent call to address the deadly consequences of serious mental disorders.JAMA Psychiatry. 2015; 72: 1166-1167https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.1981
- Trends in smoking among adults with mental illness and association between mental health treatment and smoking cessation.JAMA. 2014; 311: 172-182https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2013.284985
- Practice guideline for the treatment of patients with nicotine dependence.Am J Psychiatry. 1996; 153: 1-31https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.153.10.1
- Treatment of smokers with co-occurring disorders: emphasis on integration in mental health and addiction treatment settings.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2009; 5: 409-431https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.032408.153614
- Integrating tobacco treatment into mental health settings.JAMA. 2010; 304: 2534-2535https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2010.1759