Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Theories of behaviour and behaviour change across the social and behavioural sciences: a scoping review.Health Psychol Rev. 2015; 9: 323-344https://doi.org/10.1080/17437199.2014.941722
- Health behavior theory and cumulative knowledge regarding health behaviors: are we moving in the right direction?.Health Educ Res. 2005; 20: 275-290https://doi.org/10.1093/her/cyg113
- “Is there nothing more practical than a good theory?” Why innovations and advances in health behavior change will arise if interventions are used to test and refine theory.Intern J Behav Nut Phys Act. 2004; 1: 11https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-1-11
- ABC of Behaviour Change Theories: An Essential Resource for Researchers, Policy Makers, and Practitioners.Silverback Publishing, London, UK2014
- Does theory influence the effectiveness of health behavior interventions? Meta-analysis.Health Psychol. 2014; 33: 465https://doi.org/10.1037/a0032853
- Building new computational models to support health behavior change and maintenance: new opportunities in behavioral research.Transl Behav Med. 2015; 5: 335-346https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-015-0324-1
- Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inference.Wadsworth Cengage Learning, Belmont, CA2002
- The new person-specific paradigm in psychology.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2009; 18: 112-117https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8721.2009.01619.x
- A manifesto on psychology as idiographic science: bringing the person back into scientific psychology, this time forever.Measurement (Mahwah N J). 2004; 2: 201-218https://doi.org/10.1207/s15366359mea0204_1
- Current issues and future directions for research into digital behavior change interventions.Am J Prev Med. 2016;
- Health behavior models in the age of mobile interventions: are our theories up to the task?.Transl Behav Med. 2011; 1: 53-71https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-011-0021-7
- Health and the mobile phone.Am J Prev Med. 2008; 35: 177-181https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2008.05.001
Intille SS, Kukla C, Farzanfar R, Bakr W. Just-in-time technology to encourage incremental, dietary behavior change. In: AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings. Bethesda, MD: American Medical Informatics Association; 2003:874.
- Building health behavior models to guide the development of just-in-time adaptive interventions: a pragmatic framework.Health Psychol. 2016; 34: 1209-1219https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000306
- Agile Science: creating useful products for behavior change in the real-world.Transl Behav Med. February 26, 2016; (Online)https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-016-0395-7
- Thinking About Behaviour Change: An Interdisciplinary Dialogue.Silverback Publishing, London, UK2016
- The Behaviour Change Wheel: A Guide to Designing Interventions.Silverback Publishing, London, UK2014
- The need for time-intensive information in healthful eating and physical activity research: a timely topic.J Am Diet Assoc. 2009; 109: 30-35https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jada.2008.10.019
- Exploring behavioral markers of long-term physical activity maintenance: a case study of system identification modeling within a behavioral intervention.Health Educ Res. 2013; 40: 51S-62Shttps://doi.org/10.1177/1090198113496787
- Micro-randomized trials: an experimental design for developing just-in-time adaptive interventions.Health Psychol. 2016; 34: 1220-1228https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000305
- Rapid rate of technological development and its implications for research on digital health behavior interventions.Am J Prev Med. 2016;
- Using engineering control principles to inform the design of adaptive interventions: a conceptual introduction.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2007; 88: S31-S40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2006.10.020
- Exploring connections between moderators and mediators: commentary on subgroup analyses in intervention research.Prev Sci. 2013; 14: 189-192https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-012-0333-y
- Dynamic models of behavior for just-in-time adaptive interventions.IEEE Pervasive Comput. 2014; 13: 13-17https://doi.org/10.1109/MPRV.2014.46
- The development of a control systems model of social cognitive theory.Transl Behav Med. November 9, 2016; (Online)https://doi.org/10.1007/s13142-015-0356-6
- Structural equation modeling in practice: a review and recommended two-step approach.Psychol Bull. 1988; 103: 411https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.103.3.411
- A control systems engineering approach for adaptive behavioral interventions: illustration with a fibromyalgia intervention.Transl Behav Med. 2014; 4 (Errratum in 4(3), p439): 275-289
- Social Foundations of Thought and Action: A Social Cognitive Theory.Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ1986
- What are the most effective techniques in changing obese individuals’ physical activity self-efficacy and behaviour: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2013; 10: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1186/1479-5868-10-29
- Contextual sensitivity in scientific reproducibility.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 6454-6459
- Teachable moments for health behavior change: a concept analysis.Patient Educ Couns. 2009; 76: 25-30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2008.11.002
- Recommender systems.Commun ACM. 1997; 40: 56-58https://doi.org/10.1145/245108.245121
Golbeck J, Robles C, Turner K. Predicting personality with social media. In: CHI׳11 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems. ACM; 2011:253–262. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1979742.1979614.
Zhou MX, Nichols J, Dignan T, Lohr S, Golbeck J, Pennebaker JW. Opportunities and risks of discovering personality traits from social media. In: Proceedings of the extended abstracts of the 32nd annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI׳14). ACM; 2014:1081–1086. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2559206.2579408.
- Small data, where n = me.Commun ACM. 2014; 57: 32-34https://doi.org/10.1145/2580944
- Data Mining: Practical Machine Learning Tools and Techniques.Morgan Kaufmann, Amsterdam2005
Ravichandran R, Saba E, Chen K-Y, Goel M, Gupta S, Patel SN. WiBreathe: estimating respiration rate using wireless signals in natural settings in the home. In: IEEE Pervasive Computing and Communications (PerCom), 2015 IEEE International Conference on. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/PERCOM.2015.7146519.
- Mobile health: revolutionizing healthcare through trans-disciplinary research.Computer (Long Beach Calif). 2013; 46: 28-35
- Mobile health technology evaluation: the mHealth evidence workshop.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 228-236https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.03.017
- Ecological momentary assessment.Annu Rev Clin Psychol. 2008; 4: 1-32https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.clinpsy.3.022806.091415
- Development of a smartphone application to measure physical activity using sensor-assisted self-report.Front Public Health. 2014; 2: 12https://doi.org/10.3389/fpubh.2014.00012
- System Identiﬁcation: Theory for the User.PTR Prentice Hall Information and System Sciences Series, Englewood Cliff, NJ1987: 198
- An improved formulation of hybrid model predictive control with application to production-inventory systems.IEEE Trans Control Syst Technol. 2013; 1: 121-135https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2011.2177525
- Hybrid model predictive control for optimizing gestational weight gain behavioral interventions.Proc Am Control Conf. 2013; : 1970-1975
- A system identification approach for improving behavioral interventions based on social cognitive theory.Proc Am Control Conf. 2015; : 5878-5883https://doi.org/10.1109/ACC.2015.7172261
- A dynamical systems model of social cognitive theory.Proc Am Control Conf. 2014; : 2407-2412https://doi.org/10.1109/ACC.2014.6859463
Larsen K, Michie S, Hekler EB, et al. Behavior change interventions: the potential of ontologies for advancing science and practice. J Behav Med. In press.
- Building Ontologies With Basic Formal Ontology.MIT Press, Cambridge, MA2015https://doi.org/10.7551/mitpress/9780262527811.001.0001
- Behaviour change techniques: the development and evaluation of a taxonomic method for reporting and describing behaviour change interventions.Health Technol Assess. 2015; 19: 1-188https://doi.org/10.3310/hta19990
- Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Modeling Change and Event Occurrence.Oxford University Press, New York2003https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195152968.001.0001
- Are daily fluctuations in perceived environment associated with walking?.Psychol Health. 2012; 27: 1009-1020https://doi.org/10.1080/08870446.2011.645213
- System Identification: Theory for the User.2nd ed. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ1999https://doi.org/10.1002/047134608x.w1046
- Reinforcement Learning: An Introduction.MIT Press, Cambridge, MA1998
This article is part of a theme section titled Digital Health: Leveraging New Technologies to Develop, Deploy, and Evaluate Behavior Change Interventions.