Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Unaddressed privacy risks in accredited health and wellness apps: a cross-sectional systematic assessment.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 214https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0444-y
- mHealth App Developer Economics 2015.research2guidance, Berlin2015
- Mobile Medical Applications: Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff.U.S. FDA, Silver Spring, MD2015
Therapeutic Goods Administration. Regulation of medical software and mobile medical “apps.” www.tga.gov.au/node/4316. Published 2013. Accessed October 22, 2015.
- Manual on Borderline and Classification in the Community Regulatory Framework for Medical Devices.European Commission, Brussels2015
- mHealth: a strategic field without a solid scientific soul. A systematic review of pain-related apps.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e101312https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0101312
- Medical apps for smartphones: lack of evidence undermines quality and safety.Evid Based Med. 2013; 18: 90-92https://doi.org/10.1136/eb-2012-100885
- The mobile revolution—using smartphone apps to prevent cardiovascular disease.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2015; 12: 350-360https://doi.org/10.1038/nrcardio.2015.34
- A systematic review of quality assessment methods for smartphone health apps.Telemed J E Health. 2015; 21: 97-104https://doi.org/10.1089/tmj.2014.0088
IDC Research Inc. Smartphone OS market share, 2015 Q2. www.idc.com/prodserv/smartphone-os-market-share.jsp. Published 2015. Accessed October 16, 2015.
Tan A. How to Choose the Best Platform for Your Mobile App. Published February 9, 2015. http://blog.smaato.com/how-to-choose-the-best-platform-for-your-mobile-app. Accessed October 16, 2015.
Apple Inc. iTunes Connect developer guide. https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Chapters/About.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011225-CH1-SW1. Published 2015. Accessed December 14, 2015.
Google Play. Launch checklist. http://developer.android.com/distribute/tools/launch-checklist.html. Published 2015. Accessed December 14, 2015.
- Smartphone apps for calculating insulin dose: a systematic assessment.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 1-10https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0314-7
Google Play. Core app quality. http://developer.android.com/distribute/essentials/quality/core.html. Published 2015. Accessed December 14, 2015.
Apple Inc. App review. https://developer.apple.com/support/app-review/. Published 2015. Accessed December 14, 2015.
- Mobile app rating scale: a new tool for assessing the quality of health mobile apps.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2015; 3: e27https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.3422
- Do physical activity and dietary smartphone applications incorporate evidence-based behaviour change techniques?.BMC Public Health. 2014; 14: 646https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-646
Perez S. Apple’s app store gets a smarter search engine. TechCrunch. Published November 13, 2015. https://techcrunch.com/2015/11/13/app-store-search-just-got-smarter/. Accessed December 14, 2015.
Rampton J. The beginner’s guide to app store optimization. Forbes Tech. Published October 16, 2015. http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnrampton/2015/10/16/the-beginners-guide-to-app-store-optimization/#40daa33f19ed. Accessed December 14, 2015.
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.PLoS Med. 2009; 62009: e1000097https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000097
Higgins J, Green S. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. The Cochrane Collaboration; 2011: www.cochrane-handbook.org. Accessed April 3.
- Smartphone applications in burns.Burns. 2015; 41: 977-989https://doi.org/10.1016/j.burns.2014.11.010
- Sports injury prevention in your pocket?! Prevention apps assessed against the available scientific evidence: a review.Br J Sports Med. 2014; 48: 878-882https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2012-092136
- Just a fad? Gamification in health and fitness apps.JMIR Serious Games. 2014; 2: e9https://doi.org/10.2196/games.3413
- Smartphone breast applications—what’s the evidence?.Breast. 2014; 23: 683-689https://doi.org/10.1016/j.breast.2014.07.006
- Public health guidelines for physical activity: is there an app for that? A review of Android and Apple app stores.JMIR mHealth and uHealth. 2015; 3 (e43–e43)https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.4003
- “There’s a pain app for that”: Review of patient-targeted smartphone applications for pain management.Clin J Pain. 2015; 31: 557-563https://doi.org/10.1097/AJP.0000000000000171
- Apps of steel: are exercise apps providing consumers with realistic expectations?: A content analysis of exercise apps for presence of behavior change theory.Health Educ Behav. 2013; 40: 133-139https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198112452126
- Assessing the quality and usability of smartphone apps for pain self-management.Pain Med. 2014; 15: 898-909https://doi.org/10.1111/pme.12327
- Popular glucose tracking apps and use of mHealth by Latinos with diabetes: review.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2015; 3https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.3986
- Advising patients on selecting trustful apps for diabetes self-care.Comp Biol Med. 2016; 71: 86-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compbiomed.2016.02.005
- mHealthApps: a repository and database of mobile health apps.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2015; 3: e28https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.4026
- A review and content analysis of engagement, functionality, aesthetics, information quality, and change techniques in the most popular commercial apps for weight management.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 35https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-016-0359-9
- Smartphone and tablet apps for concussion road warriors (team clinicians): a systematic review for practical users.Br J Sports Med. 2015; 49: 499-505https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2013-092930
- Mindfulness-based mobile applications: literature review and analysis of current features.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2013; 15https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.2733
- The evolution of mobile apps for asthma: an updated systematic assessment of content and tools.BMC Med. 2015; 13: 58https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-015-0303-x
- Comparative analysis of smoking cessation smartphone applications available in 2012 versus 2014.Addict Behav. 2016; 58: 175-181https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2016.02.026
- Digitizing diagnosis: a review of mobile applications in the diagnostic process.Diagnosis (Berl). 2015; 2: 89-96https://doi.org/10.1515/dx-2014-0068
- “It’s like having a physician in your pocket!” A critical analysis of self-diagnosis smartphone apps.Soc Sci Med. 2015; 133: 128-135https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2015.04.004
- Content analysis of diet-related mobile apps: a self-regulation perspective.Health Comm. In press. Online. March 3, 2016; https://doi.org/10.1080/10410236.2015.1072123
- Mobile applications for weight management: theory-based content analysis.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 583-589https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.07.005
- Health behavior theory in popular calorie counting apps: a content analysis.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2016; 4: e19https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.4177
- How smart are smartphone apps for smoking cessation? A content analysis.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 1025-1031https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv117
- Commercially available mobile phone headache diary apps: a systematic review.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2014; 2: e36https://doi.org/10.2196/mhealth.3452
- A scientific audit of smartphone applications for the management of obesity.Aust N Z J Public Health. 2011; 35: 293-294https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-6405.2011.00707.x
- Mobile apps for bipolar disorder: a systematic review of features and content quality.JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2015; 17: e198https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.4581
- Apps as artefacts: towards a critical perspective on mobile health and medical apps.Societies. 2014; 4: 606https://doi.org/10.3390/soc4040606
- Compliance of blood donation apps with mobile OS usability guidelines.J Med Syst. 2015; 39: 63https://doi.org/10.1007/s10916-015-0243-1
- How trustworthy are apps for maternal and child health?.Health Technol (Berl). 2015; 4: 329-336https://doi.org/10.1007/s12553-015-0099-x
- App Annie Index Market Q1 2015.App Annie, San Francisco, CA2015
Orland K. Pay to rank: gaming the app store in the age of Flappy Bird. Ars Technica. Published February 11, 2014. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/02/pay-to-rank-gaming-the-app-store-in-the-age-of-flappy-bird/. Accessed December 24, 2015.
- Medical apps: public and academic perspectives.Perspect Biol Med. 2013; 56: 259-273https://doi.org/10.1353/pbm.2013.0013