Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Actual causes of death in the United States, 2000.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1238-1245https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.10.1238
- Cigarette smoking among adults—United States, 2007.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57: 1221-1226
- Current cigarette smoking among adults—United States, 2005–2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 1108-1112
- Patient smoking cessation advice by health care providers: the role of ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and health.Am J Public Health. 2005; 95: 1056-1061https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2004.039909
- A nationwide analysis of U.S. racial/ethnic disparities in smoking behaviors, smoking cessation, and cessation-related factors.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 699-706https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2010.191668
- Interventions for smoking cessation in hospitalised patients.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 5: CD001837https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.cd001837.pub3
- Cigarette smoking, nicotine dependence, and motivation for smoking cessation in psychiatric inpatients.Can J Psychiatry. 2009; 54: 36-45
- Implementing smoke-free policies in mental health inpatient units: learning from unsuccessful experience.Australas Psychiatry. 2008; 16: 92-97https://doi.org/10.1080/10398560701851976
- Effect of institutional smoking prohibition on Japanese inpatients with chronic schizophrenia.Nihon Arukoru Yakubutsu Igakkai Zasshi. 2006; 41: 128-133
- Changes in psychiatric patients’ thoughts about quitting smoking during a smoke-free hospitalization.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10: 875-881https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200802027198
- Psychiatric inpatient and staff attitudes regarding smoking reduction.Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2007; 44: 231-233
- Effects of smoking ban in a general hospital psychiatric unit.Actas Esp Psiquiatr. 2008; 36: 60-62
- Treatment of tobacco use in an inpatient psychiatric setting.Psychiatr Serv. 2004; 55: 1265-1270https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.55.11.1265
- Population characteristics of markets of safety net and non-safety net hospitals.J Urban Health. 1999; 76: 351-370https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02345673
- Overview of the consortium of hospitals advancing research on tobacco (CHART).Trials. 2012; 13: 122https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-122
- Effectiveness of smoking-cessation interventions for urban hospital patients: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.Trials. 2012; 13: 126https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-126
- Measuring the heaviness of smoking: using self-reported time to the first cigarette of the day and number of cigarettes smoker per day.Br J Addict. 1989; 84: 791-799https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.1989.tb03059.x
- Demographic variables, smoking variables, and outcome across five studies.Health Psychol. 2007; 26: 278-287https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.118
- California Tobacco Surveys.University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA1999Accessed February 2010)
- The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): an effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP). Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test.Arch Intern Med. 1998; 158: 1789-1795https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.158.16.1789
- Effectiveness of the AUDIT-C as a screening test for alcohol misuse in three race/ethnic groups.J Gen Intern Med. 2008; 23: 781-787https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-008-0594-0
- The Alcohol, Smoking and Substance Involvement Screening Test (ASSIST): development, reliability and feasibility.Addiction. 2002; 97: 1183-1194https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2002.00185.x
- Motivational interviewing: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br J Gen Pract. 2005; 55: 305-312
- Problem Solving Therapy: A Social Competence Approach to Clinical Intervention.2nd ed. Springer, New York, NY1999
- A new scheduling method for time-limited counseling.Prof Psychol Res Pr. 1995; 26: 624-625https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7028.26.6.624
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update.DHHS, Public Health Service, Rockville, MD2008
- Telephone smoking-cessation counseling for smokers in mental health clinics: a patient-randomized controlled trial.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 50: 518-527https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.10.004
- Overview of the consortium of hospitals advancing research on tobacco (chart).Trials. 2012; 13: 122https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-122
North American Quitline Consortium. Measuring quit rates. www.naquitline.org. Published 2009. Accessed February 8, 2014.
- Intention-to-treat concept: a review.Biostatistics. 2011; 2: 109-112https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-3485.83221
Lexicomp. Nicotine (Lexi-Drugs). http://online.lexi.com/lco/action/doc/retrieve/docid/patch_f/7365?hl=6650. Published 2015. Accessed November 25, 2015.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Occupational employment statistics: May 2014 national occupational employment and wage estimates United States. www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_nat.htm. Published 2014. Accessed November 14, 2015.
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employer costs for employee compensation. News release.www.bls.gov/news.release/ecec.htm. Published 2015. Accessed November 25, 2015.
- Thinking outside the box: recent advances in the analysis and presentation of uncertainty in cost-effectiveness studies.Annu Rev Public Health. 2002; 23: 377-401https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.publhealth.23.100901.140534
- Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine: A Report to the U.S. Public Health Service.U.S. Public Health Service, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Washington, DC1996
- Projected cost-effectiveness of smoking cessation interventions in patients hospitalized with myocardial infarction.Arch Intern Med. 2011; 171: 39-45https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2010.479
- Sustained care intervention and postdischarge smoking cessation among hospitalized adults: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2014; 312: 719-728https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2014.9237
- Dissemination of the nurse-administered Tobacco Tactics intervention versus usual care in six Trinity community hospitals: study protocol for a comparative effectiveness trial.Trials. 2012; 13: 125https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6215-13-125
- Biochemical verification of tobacco use and cessation.Nicotine Tob Res. 2002; 4: 149-159https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200210123581
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence: 2008 Update. Clinical Practice Guideline.DHHS Public Health Service, Rockville, MD2008
This article is part of a theme section titled Implementing Tobacco Cessation Interventions for Hospitalized Smokers