Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Preexposure chemoprophylaxis for HIV prevention in men who have sex with men.N Engl J Med. 2010; 363: 2587-2599https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1011205
Molina J-M, Capitant C, Spire B, et al.; and the ANRS Ipergay Study Group. On demand PrEP with oral TDF-FTC in MSM: results of the ANRS Ipergay Trial. Paper presented at: Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections; February 23–26, 2015; Seattle, WA. www.avac.org/sites/default/files/u3/clarity_on_PrEP_SLIDES.pdf. Accessed February 4, 2016.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis to prevent the acquisition of HIV-1 infection (PROUD): effectiveness results from the pilot phase of a pragmatic open-label randomised trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 53-60https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00056-2
- Antiretroviral prophylaxis for HIV prevention in heterosexual men and women.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 399-410https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1108524
CDC. HIV Surveillance Report 2014. www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/library/reports/surveillance/cdc-hiv-surveillance-report-us.pdf. Published 2015.
- HIV infection and awareness among men who have sex with men–20 cities, United States, 2008 and 2011.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e76878https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0076878
- Successes and challenges of HIV prevention in men who have sex with men.Lancet. 2012; 380: 388-399https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60955-6
CDC. Preexposure prophylaxis for the prevention of HIV infection in the United States—2014. www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/prepguidelines2014.pdf. Published 2014.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis works—it’s time to deliver.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1482-1484https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)60724-3
- Uptake of pre-exposure prophylaxis, sexual practices, and HIV incidence in men and transgender women who have sex with men: a cohort study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 820-829https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70847-3
- Early experiences implementing pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV prevention in San Francisco.PLoS Med. 2014; 11: e1001613https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001613
- Uptake of PrEP for HIV slow among MSM.Lancet. 2014; 383: 399-400https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60137-9
- Differences in PrEP knowledge and use in U.S. MSM users of a popular sexual networking site surveyed in August 2013 and January 2014.AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014; 30: A91-A92https://doi.org/10.1089/aid.2014.5168a.abstract
Hamel L, Firth J, Hoff T, Levine S, Dawson L. HIV/AIDS in the lives of gay and bisexual men in the United States. http://kff.org/hivaids/report/hivaids-in-the-lives-of-gay-and-bisexual-men-in-the-united-states/. Published September 2014. Accessed February 4, 2016.
- Minimal awareness and stalled uptake of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) among at risk, HIV-negative, black men who have sex with men.AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2015; 29: 423-429https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2014.0303
- Engaging healthcare providers to implement HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis.Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2012; 7: 593https://doi.org/10.1097/COH.0b013e3283590446
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for HIV infection: results of a survey of HIV healthcare providers evaluating their knowledge, attitudes, and prescribing practices.AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2013; 27: 553-559https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2013.0173
CDC. Daily drug can reduce HIV risk. CDC. www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/hivprep/index.html. Published November 24, 2015. Accessed February 4, 2016.
- Knowledge is power! Increased provider knowledge scores regarding pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) are associated with higher rates of PrEP prescription and future intent to prescribe PrEP.AIDS Behav. 2015; 19: 802-810https://doi.org/10.1007/s10461-015-0996-z
- No new HIV infections with increasing use of HIV preexposure prophylaxis in a clinical practice setting.Clin Infect Dis. 2015; 61: 1601-1603https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/civ778
- Physician awareness of sexual orientation and preventive health recommendations to men who have sex with men.Sex Transm Dis. 2011; 38: 63https://doi.org/10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181ebd50f
- Same-sex attraction disclosure to health care providers among New York City men who have sex with men: implications for HIV testing approaches.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 1458-1464https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.168.13.1458
- Patient, resident physician, and visit factors associated with documentation of sexual history in the outpatient setting.J Gen Intern Med. 2011; 26: 887-893https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1711-z
World AIDS Day 2015. Grindr. www.grindr.com/blog/world-aids-day-2015/. Published November 2015. Accessed February 4, 2016.
- The history and challenge of HIV prevention.Lancet. 2008; 372: 475-488https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60884-3
- Changes in condom use among homosexual men in San Francisco.Health Psychol. 1991; 10: 190https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6188.8.131.52
- Seroconversion, sexual activity, and condom use among 2915 HIV seronegative men followed for up to 2 years.J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1989; 2: 77-85
- From personal survival to public health: community leadership by men who have sex with men in the response to HIV.Lancet. 2012; 380: 400-410https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)60834-4
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Final Recommendation Statement Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Infection: Screening, April 2013. www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/RecommendationStatementFinal/human-immunodeficiency-virus-hiv-infection-screening. Published 2013.
- Behavioral surveillance among people at risk for HIV infection in the U.S.: the National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System.Public Health Rep. 2007; : 32-38
Behavioral Surveillance Team NCHSTP/DHAP-SE/BCSB. National HIV Behavioral Surveillance System: Round 4 Model Surveillance Protocol. www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/nhbs_round4modelsurveillanceprotocol.pdf. Published 2013.
Flynn C. HIV in Maryland. http://phpa.dhmh.maryland.gov/OIDEOR/CHSE/SiteAssets/SitePages/statistics/Maryland%20HIV%20Planning%20Group%20Epidemiology%20Slides%20April%202,%202015.pdf. Published April 2015.
- Evolution of Massachusetts physician attitudes, knowledge, and experience regarding the use of antiretrovirals for HIV prevention.AIDS Patient Care STDs. 2012; 26: 395-405https://doi.org/10.1089/apc.2012.0030
- Patterns of HIV and STI testing among MSM couples in the U.S.Sex Transm Dis. 2012; 39: 871
- High interest in preexposure prophylaxis among men who have sex with men at risk for HIV infection: baseline data from the US PrEP Demonstration Project.JAIDS J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015; 68: 439-448https://doi.org/10.1097/QAI.0000000000000479
AIDS Foundation of Chicago. Citywide campaign transmits love and shows the sexier side of HIV prevention. www.aidschicago.org/page/news/all-news/citywide-campaign-transmits-love-and-shows-the-sexier-side-of-hiv-prevention. Accessed May 4, 2016.
Poz.com. NYC Health Dept. launches PrEP, PEP outreach campaign. www.poz.com/article/nyc-promotes-prep-26694-2670. Published January 13, 2015.
- Revised recommendations for HIV testing of adults, adolescents, and pregnant women in health-care settings.J Natl Med Assoc. 2008; 100: 131-147