Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Disability-adjusted life years (DALYs) for 291 diseases and injuries in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010.Lancet. 2013; 380: 2197-2223https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61689-4
- Lifetime prevalence of mental disorders in U.S. adolescents: results from the National Comorbidity Survey Replication–Adolescent Supplement (NCS-A).J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2010; 49: 980-989https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2010.05.017
- Mental Health Services Administration. Results from the 2012 national survey on drug use and health: mental health findings. NSDUH Series H-47, HHS Publication No. (SMA) 13-4805.Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Rockville, MD2013
- The vital link between chronic disease and depressive disorders.Prev Chronic Dis. 2005; 2: A14
- Exploring the risk-factor association between depression and incident stroke: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2015; 11: 1-14https://doi.org/10.2147/NDT.S63904
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder and Chronic Health Conditions.American Public Health Association, Washington, DC2012
- Are symptoms of anxiety and depression risk factors for hypertension? Longitudinal evidence from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study.Arch Fam Med. 1997; 6: 43https://doi.org/10.1001/archfami.6.1.43
- Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults Aged ≥18 Years with Mental Illness—United States, 2009–2011.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013; 62: 81-87
- Are mood disorders and obesity related? A review for the mental health professional.J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65: 634-651https://doi.org/10.4088/JCP.v65n0507
- Association of post‐traumatic stress disorder and obesity in a nationally representative sample.Obesity. 2012; 20: 200-205https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2011.318
- Mental illness as an independent risk factor for unintentional injury and injury recidivism.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2006; 61: 1299-1304https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ta.0000240460.35245.1a
- Death by homicide, suicide, and other unnatural causes in people with mental illness: a population-based study.Lancet. 2001; 358: 2110-2112https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(01)07216-6
- National Prevention Council, National Prevention Strategy.U.S. Office of the Surgeon General, Washington, DC2011
- Healthy People 2020. 2011;
- Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. 1999;
- Preventing Mental, Emotional, and Behavioral Disorders Among Young People: Progress and Possibilities.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2009
- Mental Health in Public Health: The Next 100 Years.Oxford University Press, New York2011
- Public Mental Health.Oxford University Press, New York2012https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195390445.001.0001
- The Prevention of Mental Disorders: A National Research Agenda.U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC1994
- Public health at the crossroads.Am J Public Health. 1926; 16: 1075-1085https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.16.11.1075-a
- No health without mental health.Lancet. 2007; 370: 859-877https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61238-0
- Population Mental Health: Evidence, Policy, and Public Health Practice.Taylor & Francis, London2011
- Prevalence and correlates of local health department activities to address mental health in the United States.Prev Med. 2016; 82: 20-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.11.007
CDC. The public health system and the 10 essential public health services. National Public Health Performance Standards. http://www.cdc.gov/nphpsp/essentialservices.html. Last updated May 29, 2014.
- Public health surveillance for mental health.Prev Chronic Dis. 2010; 7: A17
- Bridging mental health and public health.Prev Chronic Dis. 2010; 7: A03
- A logic model for the integration of mental health into chronic disease prevention and health promotion.Prev Chronic Dis. 2006; 3: A61
National Association of County and City Health Officials. Statement of Policy: Promotion of Mental Health and Prevention of Mental and Substance Abuse Disorders. http://archived.naccho.org/topics/HPDP/mentalhealth/policy/upload/01-09revbehavioralhealth.pdf. Published 2007.
National Association of County and City Health Officials. Guiding Principles for Collaboration Between Mental Health and Public Health. http://gucchdtacenter.georgetown.edu/resources/Call%20Docs/2005Calls/NACCHO_Issue_Brief_2%20-%207-21-05.pdf. Published 2005.
Public Health Accreditation Board. Transformational benefits of public health department accreditation now reaching more than half the nation. www.phaboard.org/wp-content/uploads/May27_2016PressReleaseFinal-1.pdfwww.phaboard.org/wp-content/uploads/May27_2016PressReleaseFinal-1.pdf. Published 2016. Accessed July 12, 2016.
Public Health Accreditation Board. E-Newsletter #56. http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs176/1102084465533/archive/1119844244535.html. Published 2015.
- Swimming upstream? Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the cultural ascendancy of public health.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2011; 17: 102-109https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e318206b266
- Local health departments: time of challenge and change.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2012; 18: 103-105https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e31824733e2
- Perceived impacts of health care reform on large urban health departments.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2015; 21: S66-S75https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0000000000000145
- Local health departments’ level of engagement in population mental health promotion.Front Public Health Serv Syst Res. 2016; 5: 41-47https://doi.org/10.13023/FPHSSR.0501.07
- Addressing psychological, mental health and other behavioural healthcare needs of the underserved populations in the United States: the role of local health departments.Perspect Public Health. 2016; 136: 86-92https://doi.org/10.1177/1757913915597960
- Local health department activities to ensure access to care.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 720-727https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.07.010
National Association of County Behavioral Health & Developmental Disability Directors. www.nacbhd.org/Home.aspx. Published 2016.
- National Association of County and City Health Officials. Building Healthier Communities: Integrating Mental Health and Public Health. Published 2008.
National Association of County and City Health Officials. National Profile of Local Health Departments. http://nacchoprofilestudy.org/. Published 2013.
- A conceptual framework to measure performance of the public health system.Am J Public Health. 2001; 91: 1235-1239https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.91.8.1235
- How many interviews are enough? An experiment with data saturation and variability.Field Methods. 2006; 18: 59-82https://doi.org/10.1177/1525822X05279903
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174https://doi.org/10.2307/2529310
- Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Approaches.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2012
- Handling Qualitative Data: A Practical Guide.Sage, Thousand Oaks, CA2014
- Building a conceptual framework: philosophy, definitions, and procedure.Int J Qual Methods. 2009; 8: 49-62
- Professionalization and public health: historical legacies, continuing dilemmas.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009; 15: S26-S30https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181af0a95
- The Social Transformation of American Medicine.Basic Books, New York1982
- The implications of the Affordable Care Act for behavioral health services utilization.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43: 11-22https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-014-0615-8
- Mental health and addiction workforce development: federal leadership is needed to address the growing crisis.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 2005-2012https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2013.0541
- More people than ever before are receiving behavioral health care in the United States, but gaps and challenges remain.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1416-1424https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.0504
- Whether health departments should provide clinical services after the implementation of the Affordable Care Act.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 271-272https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302949
National Association of County and City Health Officials. Statement of Policy: Provision of Clinical Services by Local Health Departments. http://archived.naccho.org/advocacy/positions/upload/12-17-Provision-of-Clinical-Services.pdf. Published 2012.
- Local health departments and billing for clinical services.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2014; 20: 456-458https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0000000000000103
- An examination of Medicaid delivery system reform incentive payment initiatives under way in six states.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1162-1169https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0165
- Mental health training in schools of public health: history, current status, and future opportunities.Public Health Rep. 2015; 131: 208-217https://doi.org/10.1177/003335491613100130
- Addressing mental health issues in primary care: an initial curriculum for medical residents.Patient Educ Couns. 2014; 94: 33-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.09.010
- The integration of care for mental health, substance abuse, and other behavioral health conditions into primary care: executive summary of an American College of Physicians position paper.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 298-299https://doi.org/10.7326/M15-0510
- Mental health surveillance among children—United States, 2005–2011.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2013; 62: 1-35
- Mental illness surveillance among adults in the United States.MMWR Surveill Summ. 2011; 60: 1-29
- CDC, National Association of County and City Health Officials. The Community Guide—Public Health Accreditation Board Crosswalk: A Tool to Support Accreditation and Increase Use of Evidence-Based Approaches.
- Real qualitative researchers do not count: the use of numbers in qualitative research.Res Nurs Health. 2001; 24: 230-240https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.1025