Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
CDC. Trends in the prevalence of tobacco use. www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/yrbs/pdf/trends/us_tobacco_trend_yrbs.pdf. Accessed August 30, 2015.
- Smokers’ choice: what explains the steady growth of cigar use in the U.S.?.Public Health Rep. 2006; 121: 116-119
Tobacco Advisory Group of the Royal College of Physicians. Harm reduction in nicotine addiction: helping people who can’t quit. 2007.www.sfata.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Harm-Reduction-in-Nicotine-Addiction.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2015.
- Flavoured cigarettes, sensation seeking and adolescents’ perceptions of cigarette brands.Tob Control. 2009; 18: 459-465https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2009.029454
- New cigarette brands with flavors that appeal to youth: tobacco marketing strategies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2005; 24: 1601-1610https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.24.6.1601
Food and Drug Administration. Candy and fruit flavored cigarettes now illegal in the United States; step is first under new tobacco law. 2009. www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm183211.htm. Accessed August 30, 2015.
Food and Drug Administration. Flavored tobacco product fact sheet. www.fda.gov/syn/html/ucm183198#1. Accessed August 30, 2015.
- Use of flavored cigarettes among older adolescent and adult smokers: United States, 2004–2005.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10: 1209-1214https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200802163159
- Flavored tobacco product use among U.S. Youth aged 12-17 years, 2013-2014.JAMA. 2015; 314: 1871-1873https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.13802
- Flavored and nonflavored smokeless tobacco products: rate, pattern of use, and effects.Nicotine Tob Res. 2013; 15: 88-92https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/nts093
Food and Drug Administration. Preliminary scientific evaluation of the possible public health effects of menthol versus nonmenthol cigarettes. 2013. www.fda.gov/downloads/UCM361598.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2016.
- Differential trends in cigarette smoking in the USA: Is menthol slowing progress?.Tob Control. 2015; 24: 28-37https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051159
- Initiation with menthol cigarettes and youth smoking uptake.Addiction. 2013; 108: 171-178https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2012.04045.x
- Smoking cessation in smokers who smoke menthol and non‐menthol cigarettes.Addiction. 2014; 109: 2107-2117https://doi.org/10.1111/add.12661
- The Tax Burden on Tobacco, Historical Compilation. Volume 49. Orzechowski & Walker Consulting, Arlington, VA2014
- Truth Tobacco Industry Documents. Confidential memo from Marketing Research Dept. C/C Product Category Identification.(MRD#06e208).RJ Reynolds, Winston-Salem, NC1970
- Pilot study of CC concepts.RJ Reynolds, Winston-Salem, NC1970
- Seven-year patterns in U.S. cigar use epidemiology among young adults aged 18–25 years: a focus on race/ethnicity and brand.Am J Public Health. 2011; 101: 1955-1962https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300209
- Large disparities in rates for smoking products trigger significant market shifts to avoid higher taxes.GAO, Washington DC2012
- “A. Whole ‘Nother Smoke” or a cigarette in disguise: How RJ Reynolds reframed the image of little cigars.Am J Public Health. 2007; 97: 1368-1375https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.101063
Convenience Store News. CSP Category Management Handbook 2014: Tobacco, cigars. 2014. www.cspnet.com/sites/default/files/magazine-files/Tobacco_Cigars_CMH_2014.pdf.
Federal Trade Commission. Federal Trade Commission report to Congress on cigar sales and advertising and promotional expenditures for calendar years 1996 and 1997. Washington, DC: Federal Trade Commission. www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/1999-report-cigar-sales-advertising-promotion/1999cigarrepor.pdf. Accessed February 12, 2016.
Bureau of Labor Statistics. Consumer Price Index Frequently Asked Questions. 2016. www.bls.gov/cpi/cpifaq.htm#Question_10. Accessed July 26, 2016.
U.S. DHHS. Preventing tobacco use among youth and young adults: a report of the Surgeon General. Atlanta, GA: U.S. DHHS, CDC, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Office on Smoking and Health. 2012. www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/reports/preventing-youth-tobacco-use/index.html. Accessed December 5, 2016.
Farley SM, Johns M. New York City flavoured tobacco product sales ban evaluation. Tob Control. In press. Online February 12, 2016.
- Menthol and non‐menthol smoking: the impact of prices and smoke‐free air laws.Addiction. 2010; 105: 115-123https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1360-0443.2010.03206.x
- The demand for smokeless tobacco among male high school students in the United States: The impact of taxes, prices, and policies.Appl Econ. 2008; 39: 31-41https://doi.org/10.1080/00036840500427940
- Demand for smokeless tobacco: Role of advertising.J Health Econ. 2013; 32: 682-697https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2013.03.007