Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Consensus statement on concussion in sport: the 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport held in Zurich, November 2012.Br J Sports Med. 2013; 47: 250-258https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsports-2013-092313
- Repeat traumatic brain injury in the developing brain.Int J Dev Neurosci. 2012; 30: 185-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdevneu.2011.05.009
- Graham R. Rivara F.P. Ford M.A. Sports-Related Concussions in Youth: Improving the Science, Changing the Culture. National Academies Press, Washington, DC2014
National Federation of State High School Associations. 2011–12 High school athletics participation survey. www.nfhs.org/. Accessed July 29, 2015.
- Report on Trends and Participation in Organized Youth Sports. 2008; (Accessed December 14, 2016)
- Repeated mild traumatic brain injury: mechanisms of cerebral vulnerability.J Neurotrauma. 2013; 30: 30-38https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2012.2399
- Time interval between concussions and symptom duration.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: 8-17https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-0432
Aspen Institute/espnW. Project Play survey of parents on youth sports issues. http://aspenprojectplay.org/sites/default/files/espnw-Aspen%20Institute%20Project%20Play%20Survey%20of%20Parents%20on%20youth%20sports%20issues.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed December 14, 2016.
ESPN. Youth football participation drops. http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/page/popwarner/pop-warner-youth-football-participation-drops-nfl-concussion-crisis-seen-causal-factor. Published 2013. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Comprehensive coach education reduces head impact exposure in American youth football.Orthop J Sports Med. 2015; 3https://doi.org/10.1177/2325967115610545
- Comprehensive coach education and practice contact restriction guidelines result in lower injury rates in youth American football.Orthop J Sports Med. 2015; 3https://doi.org/10.1177/2325967115594578
- Transcending the known in public health practice: the inequality paradox: the population approach and vulnerable populations.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 216-221https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.114777
- Health inequalities and place: a theoretical conception of neighbourhood.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 1839-1852https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.05.037
- What types of interventions generate inequalities? Evidence from systematic reviews.J Epidemiol Community Health. 2013; 67: 190-193https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2012-201257
- Assessment of parental knowledge and attitudes toward pediatric sports-related concussions.Sports Health. 2015; 7: 124-129https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738115571570
- Health literacy as a public health goal: a challenge for contemporary health education and communication strategies into the 21st century.Health Promot Int. 2000; 15: 259-267https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/15.3.259
- Health literacy and public health: a systematic review and integration of definitions and models.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-80
- Racial residential segregation: a fundamental cause of racial disparities in health.Public Health Reports. 2001; 116: 404https://doi.org/10.1016/S0033-3549(04)50068-7
- Zip codes and spatial analysis: problems and prospects.Socioecon Plan Sci. 2008; 42: 129-149https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seps.2006.09.001
- American Community Survey.Key Facts. 2009; (Accessed December 14, 2016)
U.S. Census Bureau. Geographic terms and concepts—census divisions and census regions. www.census.gov/geo/reference/gtc/gtc_census_divreg.html. Accessed December 14, 2016.
- Coaches’ and referees’ perceptions of the BokSmart injury prevention programme.Int J Sports Sci Coach. 2016; 11: 637-647https://doi.org/10.1177/1747954116667100
- Social conditions as fundamental causes of health inequalities: theory, evidence, and policy implications.J Health Soc Behav. 2010; 51: S28-S40https://doi.org/10.1177/0022146510383498
USA Football. https://usafootball.com/headsup. Heads Up Football. The new standard in football. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- Game Day and God: Football, Faith, and Politics in the American South.Mercer University Press, Macon, GA2009
- Disparities in obesity rates: analysis by ZIP code area.Soc Sci Med. 2007; 65: 2458-2463https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2007.07.001
- Impact of tobacco control interventions on socioeconomic inequalities in smoking: review of the evidence.Tob Control. 2014; 23: e89-e97https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051110
- Variation in rates of fatal coronary heart disease by neighborhood socioeconomic status: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Surveillance (1992–2002).Ann Epidemiol. 2011; 21: 580-588https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2011.03.004