Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Increase in Suicide in the United States, 1999–2014.National Center for Health Statistics, CDC, Hyattsville, MD2016
- CDC National Health Report Highlights.CDC, Atlanta, GA2014
- Getting serious about reducing suicide: more “how” and less “why.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2229-2230https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.15566
- DHHS, Office of the Surgeon General and National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention.2012 National Strategy for Suicide Prevention: Goals and Objectives for Action, Washington, DC2012
- National pathways for suicide prevention and health services research.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: S222-S228https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.05.038
- Health care contacts in the year before suicide death.J Gen Intern Med. 2014; 29: 870-877https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-014-2767-3
- Practical suicide-risk management for the busy primary care physician.Mayo Clin Proc. 2011; 86: 792-800https://doi.org/10.4065/mcp.2011.0076
- Psychiatric diagnoses and risk of suicide in veterans.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010; 67: 1152-1158https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2010.129
- Psychological autopsy studies of suicide: a systematic review.Psychol Med. 2003; 33: 395-405https://doi.org/10.1017/S0033291702006943
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1081-1091https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.9.1081
- Collaborative care management of late-life depression in the primary care setting: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2002; 288: 2836-2845https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.22.2836
- Impact of national policy initiatives on fatal and non-fatal self-harm after psychiatric hospital discharge: time series analysis.Br J Psychiatry. 2012; 201: 233-238https://doi.org/10.1192/bjp.bp.111.104422
- Implementation of mental health service recommendations in England and Wales and suicide rates, 1997-2006: a cross-sectional and before-and-after observational study.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1005-1012https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(11)61712-1
- Screening for and treatment of suicide risk relevant to primary care: a systematic review for the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force.Ann Intern Med. 2013; 158: 741-754https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-158-10-201305210-00642
- Suicide risk in primary care patients with major physical diseases: a case-control study.Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2012; 69: 256-264https://doi.org/10.1001/archgenpsychiatry.2011.1561
- Medical illness and the risk of suicide in the elderly.Arch Intern Med. 2004; 164: 1179-1184https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.164.11.1179
- The risk of suicide in cancer patients: a review of the literature.Psychooncology. 2010; 19: 1250-1258https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1717
- Asthma and suicide mortality in young people: a 12-year follow-up study.Am J Psychiatry. 2010; 167: 1092-1099https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.2010.09101455
- Noncancer pain conditions and risk of suicide.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 692-697https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.908
- Facilitating action by learning healthcare systems for suicide prevention.Psychiatr Serv. 2016; 67: 830-832https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201600068
Mental Health Research Network [MHRN]. Mental Health Research Network. http://hcsrn.org/mhrn/en/. Published 2017.
Hornbrook MC, Hart G, Ellis JL, et al. Building a virtual cancer research organization. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2005;(35):12–25. https://doi.org/10.1093/jncimonographs/lgi033.
- The Cardiovascular Research Network: a new paradigm for cardiovascular quality and outcomes research.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2008; 1: 138-147https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCOUTCOMES.108.801654
- Racial/ethnic differences in health care visits made before suicide attempt across the United States.Med Care. 2015; 53: 430-435https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0000000000000335
WHO. International Classification of Diseases, Tenth Revision. www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/. Published 2012.
- International Classification of Diseases, Ninth Revision, Clinical Modification.CDC, Atlanta, GA2010
- Suicide prevention strategies: a systematic review.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2064-2074https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.294.16.2064
- Risk stratification using data from electronic medical records better predicts suicide risks than clinician assessments.BMC Psychiatry. 2014; 14: 76https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-14-76
- Predictive modeling and concentration of the risk of suicide: implications for preventive interventions in the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 1935-1942https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302737
- A Prioritized Research Agenda for Suicide Prevention: An Action Plan to Save Lives.National Action Alliance for Suicide Prevention, Washington, DC2014
- Why patients visit their doctors: assessing the most prevalent conditions in a defined American population.Mayo Clin Proc. 2013; 88: 56-67https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mayocp.2012.08.020
The Joint Commission. Sentinel Event Alert 56: detecting and treating suicide ideation in all settings. www.jointcommission.org/sea_issue_56/. Published 2016.
- Suicide prevention: an emerging priority for health care.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1084-1090https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1672
- Repetitive traumatic brain injury, psychological symptoms, and suicide risk in a clinical sample of deployed military personnel.JAMA Psychiatry. 2013; 70: 686-691https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.1093
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in a National Football League Player: case report and emerging medicolegal practice questions.J Forensic Nurs. 2010; 6: 40-46https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1939-3938.2009.01064.x
- Sleep disturbances as an evidence-based suicide risk factor.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015; 17: 554https://doi.org/10.1007/s11920-015-0554-4
- Association between opioid prescribing patterns and opioid overdose-related deaths.JAMA. 2011; 305: 1315-1321https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2011.370
- Psychiatric and psychological perspectives on chronic pain.Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2015; 26: 283-300https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmr.2014.12.003
- Designing health care for the most common chronic condition—multimorbidity.JAMA. 2012; 307: 2493-2494https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2012.5265