Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Socioeconomic disparities in health: pathways and policies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2002; 21: 60-76https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.21.2.60
- Socioeconomic status and health: what we know and what we don׳t.Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1999; 896: 3-15https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1999.tb08101.x
- Social determinants of health inequalities.Lancet. 2005; 365: 1099-1104https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)74234-3
- The relationship between local public health agency administrative variables and county health status rankings in Kentucky.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2014; 20: 378-383https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3182a5c2f8
- Social determinants of health: what, how, why, and now.Prev Chronic Dis. 2007; 4: A85
- Community health status indicators project: the development of a national approach to community health.Prev Chronic Dis. 2008; 5: A94
- Mobilizing Action Toward Community Health (MATCH): metrics, incentives, and partnerships for population health.Prev Chronic Dis. 2010; 7: A68
- How reliable are county and regional health rankings?.Prev Sci. 2013; 14: 497-502https://doi.org/10.1007/s11121-012-0320-3
- Ranking community health status to stimulate discussion of local public health issues: the Wisconsin County Health Rankings.Am J Public Health. 2008; 98: 209-212https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2006.092981
- Health ranking of the largest U.S. counties using the Community Health Status Indicators peer strata and database.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2011; 17: 401-405https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e318205413c
LexisNexis Academic. Database search for county health rankings (2010–2015). www.lexisnexis.com/. Published 2016. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- Using the Wisconsin county health rankings to catalyze community health improvement.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2009; 15: 24-32https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181903bf8
Myers S. County health ranking falls to lowest level in five years. Davidson County Dispatch. www.the-dispatch.com/news/20150327/county-health-ranking-falls-to-lowest-level-in-five-years. Published March 27, 2015. Accessed February 23, 2017.
Cook J. Cumberland ranked least healthy county in New Jersey according to study. NJ True Jersey. www.nj.com/cumberland/index.ssf/2012/04/cumberland_ranked_least_health.html. Published April 3, 2012. Accessed February 23, 2017.
Hiers F. Marion still lags in county health rankings. Ocala Star Banner. www.ocala.com/news/20130326/marion-still-lags-in-county-health-rankings. Published March 26, 2013. Accessed February 23, 2017.
Lundy J. Report shows link between health and wealth, St. Louis County officials say. Duluth News Tribune. www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/report-shows-link-between-health-and-wealth-st-louis-county-officials-say. Published April 4, 2012. Accessed February 23, 2017.
Wealthiest Georgia counties enjoy best health but all pay for poor care, data show. The Augusta Chronicle. http://chronicle.augusta.com/news-metro-health/2012-04-25/wealthiest-georgia-counties-enjoy-best-health-all-pay-poor-care-data. Published April 25, 2012. Accessed April 30, 2017.
Stutzman E. The wealth and health of Colorado. Boulder Daily Camera. www.dailycamera.com/ci_22825766/wealth-and-health-colorado. Published March 20, 2013. Accessed February 23, 2017.
- Income distribution, socioeconomic status, and self rated health in the United States: multilevel analysis.BMJ. 1998; 317: 917-921https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.317.7163.917
- Social capital, income inequality, and mortality.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1491-1498https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.87.9.1491
- Returns on investment in California county departments of public health.Am J Public Health. 2016; 106: 1477-1482https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2016.303233
- Evidence links increases in public health spending to declines in preventable deaths.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1585-1593https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0196
- Public health spending and population health: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2014; 47: 634-640https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2014.05.017
- Government spending in health and nonhealth sectors associated with improvement in county health rankings.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 2037-2043https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.0708
- Local fiscal allocation for public health departments.Am J Prev Med. 2015; 49: 921-929https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.04.021
- The problem with estimating public health spending.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016; 22: E1-E11https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3182941a7b
- The effects on population health status of using dedicated property taxes to fund local public health agencies.BMC Public Health. 2011; 11: 471https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-471
- Impact of the 2008-2010 economic recession on local health departments.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2012; 18: 106-114https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3182461cf2
- Economic shocks and public health protections in U.S. metropolitan areas.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: S280-S287https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302456
Population Health Institute. County health rankings. 2016. www.countyhealthrankings.org/. Accessed January 22, 2016.
- Government Finance and Employment Classification Manual.U.S. Census Bureau, Washington, DC2006
- USA Counties Data File Downloads.U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington, DC2014
- Local public health delivery of maternal child health services: are specific activities associated with reductions in black-white mortality disparities?.Matern Child Health J. 2012; 16: 615-623https://doi.org/10.1007/s10995-011-0794-9
- The impact of changes in county public health expenditures on general health in the population.Health Econ Policy Law. 2014; 9: 251-269https://doi.org/10.1017/S1744133114000024
- Policy implications of the gradient of health and wealth..Health Aff (Millwood). 2002; 21 (https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.21.2.13): 13-30