Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Paid sick leave and preventive health care service use among U.S. working adults.Prev Med. 2017; 99: 58-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.01.020
- The lack of paid sick leave as a barrier to cancer screening and medical care-seeking: results from the National Health Interview Survey.BMC Public Health. 2012; 12: 520https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-12-520
- Universal paid leave increases influenza vaccinations among employees in the U.S..Vaccine. 2014; 32: 2441-2445https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2014.02.084
- Factors associated with food workers working while experiencing vomiting or diarrhea.J Food Prot. 2011; 74: 215-220https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-10-108
- Workers without paid sick leave less likely to take time off for illness or injury compared to those with paid sick leave.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 520-527https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0965
- Impact of institution size, staffing patterns, and infection control practices on communicable disease outbreaks in New York State nursing homes.Am J Epidemiol. 1996; 143: 1042-1049https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a008668
- Obama Drafts Order on Paid Sick Leave for Federal Contractors.New York Times. August 5, 2015;
Bureau of Labor Statistics. National Compensation Survey: Employee benefits in the United States - March 2014. In: U.S. Department of Labor, ed. Washington, DC; 2014. www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/benefits/2014/ebbl0055.pdf. Accessed July 23, 2017.
Sick Leave Ordinance, San Francisco, California, Administrative Code Ch, 12W. 2015.
National Partnership for Women & Families. Paid Sick Days Statutes. Washington, DC; 2017.
CDC. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks, United States, 2013: Annual Report. U.S. DHHS. Atlanta, GA: CDC; 2015.
- Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks — United States, 1998–2008.CDC, Atlanta, GA2013
- Contributing factors in restaurant-associated foodborne disease outbreaks, FoodNet Sites, 2006 and 2007.J Food Prot. 2013; 76: 1824-1828https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-13-037
- Epidemiology of restaurant-associated foodborne disease outbreaks, United States, 1998–2013.Epidemiol Infect. 2017; 145: 523-534https://doi.org/10.1017/S0950268816002314
- Vital Signs: Foodborne Norovirus Outbreaks - United States, 2009-2012.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 63: 491-495
- More Than Half of U.S. Food Workers Still Go To Work Even When Sick.Tech Times. October 20, 2016;
U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee. Expanding Access to Paid Sick Leave: The Impact of the Healthy Families Act on America’s Workers. Washington, DC; 2010.
- Going ill to work--what personal circumstances, attitudes and work-related factors are associated with sickness presenteeism?.Soc Sci Med. 2008; 67: 956-964https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.05.022
- Sickness absence as risk-taking behaviour: a study of organisational and cultural factors in the public sector.Health Risk Soc. 2000; 2: 7-21https://doi.org/10.1080/136985700111413
U.S. Census Bureau. County Business Patterns. Washington, DC; 2000–2013. https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/cbp/data/datasets.html. Accessed August 7, 2017.
U.S. DHHS. Community Health Status Indicators Project Working Group. Data Sources, Definitions, and Notes for CHSI 2009. U.S. DHHS. Washington, DC; 2009.
- The strange case of the contemporary American frontier.Yale Review. 1986; 76: 101-121
- How effective are public health departments at preventing mortality?.Econ Hum Biol. 2014; 13: 34-45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2013.10.001
CDC. Campylobacter. 2014. www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/diseases/campylobacter/. Accessed April 21, 2017.
- An outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infections associated with food handler contamination: the use of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis.J Infect Dis. 2001; 183: 164-167https://doi.org/10.1086/317657
Florida Department of Health. Campylobacteriosis. 2017. http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/disease-reporting-and-management/disease-reporting-and-surveillance/_documents/gsi-campylobacteriosis.pdf. Accessed August 7, 2017.
Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Guide to excluding and restricting food employees for establishments serving the general population. 2017. www.mass.gov/eohhs/docs/dph/environmental/foodsafety/guideline-food-general.pdf. Accessed July 23, 2017.
- Section: 4.0 Diseases and Conditions: Subsection: Campylobacteriosis. 2015; (Accessed July 23, 2017)
New Jersey Department of Health. Campylobacteriosis. Trenton, NJ; 2016. http://www.nj.gov/health/cd/documents/chapters/campy_ch.pdf. Accessed August 7, 2017.
- Local health department food safety and sanitation expenditures and reductions in enteric disease, 2000–2010.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: S345-S352https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302555
Romich J, Bignell W, Brazg T, et al. Implementation and early outcomes of the City of Seattle Paid Sick and Safe Time Ordinance: Final report. Seattle, WA: University of Washington, 2014. www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/CityAuditor/auditreports/PSSTOUWReportwAppendices.pdf. Accessed July 23, 2017.
- Paid leave mandates may fail to reach part-time workers.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: e1https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302550
- Wage theft as a neglected public health problem: an overview and case study from San Francisco’s Chinatown District.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 1010-1020https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2013.301813
- Awareness of paid sick leave among New York City restaurant workers.J Urban Health. 2017; 94: 312-314https://doi.org/10.1007/s11524-016-0126-x
- Local mandate improves equity of paid sick leave coverage: Seattle’s experience.BMC Public Health. 2017; 17: 60https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3925-9