Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Mental disorders top the list of the most costly conditions in the United States: $201 billion.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1130-1135https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1659
Goodell S, Druss BG, Walker ER. Mental disorders and medical comorbidity. www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2011/02/mental-disorders-and-medical-comorbidity.html. Published 2011. Accessed August 19, 2017.
- Implementing the Institute of Medicine definition of disparities: an application to mental health care.Health Serv Res. 2006; 41: 1979-2005https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2006.00583.x
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. 2003; https://doi.org/10.17226/12875
- Population health, public health, and accountable care: emerging roles and relationships.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: 846-850https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302484
CDC/National Center for Health Statistics. Healthy People 2020. www.cdc.gov/nchs/healthy_people/hp2020.htm. Published 2011. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- From silos to bridges: meeting the general health care needs of adults with severe mental illnesses.Health Aff (Millwood). 2006; 25: 659-669https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.25.3.659
Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration. Integrated treatment for co-occurring disorders: Building your program. https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/content/SMA08-4367/BuildingYourProgram-ITC.pdf. Published 2009. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Substance Abuse Mental Health Services Administration. Behavioral Health in Primary Care / SAMHSA-HRSA. www.samhsa.gov/integrated-health-solutions. Published 2017. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Gerrity M. Evolving models of behavioral health integration: evidence update 2010–2015. www.milbank.org/publications/evolving-models-of-behavioral-health-integration-evidence-update-2010-2015/. Published 2016. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- Reducing suicidal ideation and depressive symptoms in depressed older primary care patients: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2004; 291: 1081-1091https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.291.9.1081
- Delivering on accountable care: lessons from a behavioral health program to improve access and outcomes.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1487-1493https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1263
- Prevalence and correlates of local health department activities to address mental health in the United States.Prev Med. 2016; 82: 20-27https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2015.11.007
- Are local health department expenditures related to racial disparities in mortality?.Soc Sci Med. 2010; 71: 2057-2065https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.09.004
- Local public health system performance and community health outcomes.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42: 214-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2011.10.022
- The impact of changes in county public health expenditures on general health in the population.Health Econ Policy Law. 2014; 9: 251-269https://doi.org/10.1017/S1744133114000024
- Evidence links increases in public health spending to declines in preventable deaths.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1585-1593https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0196
- Addressing psychological, mental health and other behavioural healthcare needs of the underserved populations in the United States: the role of local health departments.Persp Public Health. 2016; 136: 86-92https://doi.org/10.1177/1757913915597960
CDC. Public health action plan to integrate mental health promotion and mental illness prevention with chronic disease prevention. www.mhrb.org/dbfiles/docs/Brochure/11_220990_Sturgis_MHMIActionPlan_FINAL-Web_tag508.pdf. Published 2011. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- The structure and organization of local and state public health agencies in the U.S.: a systematic review.Am J Prev Med. 2012; 42 (suppl 1): S29-S41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2012.01.021
- Access to mental health services and health sector social capital.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2001; 28: 205-218https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007860002137
- An ecological perspective on health promotion programs.Health Educ Q. 1988; 15: 351-377https://doi.org/10.1177/109019818801500401
- Care integration in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act: implications for behavioral health.Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40: 258-263https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-012-0405-0
- Translating social ecological theory into guidelines for community health promotion.Am J Health Promot. 1996; 10: 282-298https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-10.4.282
- Institutional and economic determinants of public health system performance.Am J Public Health. 2006; 96: 523-531https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2005.064253
- Local health department activities to ensure access to care.Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45: 720-727https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2013.07.010
- Local mental health authorities and service system change: evidence from the Robert Wood Johnson program on chronic mental illness.Milbank Q. 1994; 72: 49-80https://doi.org/10.2307/3350338
- Moving on upstream: the role of health departments in addressing socioecologic determinants of disease.Am J Prev Med. 2011; 40: S80-S83https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2010.10.003
- Local public health capacities to address the needs of culturally and linguistically diverse populations.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2011; 17: 177-186https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181fb0037
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Ambulatory care sensitive conditions: age-standardized acute care hospitalization rate for conditions where appropriate ambulatory care prevents or reduces the need for admission to the hospital, per 100,000 population younger than age 75 years. www.qualitymeasures.ahrq.gov/summaries/summary/48964. Published 2015. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Moran M. High mental illness costs attributed in part to avoidable hospital use. http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2015.1a18. Published 2014. Accessed August 21, 2017.
National Association of County and City Health Officials. 2013 national profile of local health departments. http://archived.naccho.org/topics/infrastructure/profile/upload/2013-National-Profile-of-Local-Health-Departments-report.pdf. Published 2014. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. State Innovation Models Initiative: general information. https://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/state-innovations/. Published 2017. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- Maryland’s all-payer approach to delivery-system reform.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 493-495https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMp1314868
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Prevention quality indicators technical specifications—Version 6.0. www.qualityindicators.ahrq.gov/modules/PQI_TechSpec.aspx. Published 2016. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Emergency department use for mental and substance use disorders. www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/ED_Multivar_Rpt_Revision_Final072010.pdf. Published 2010. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- Handbook of Psychotherapy Integration. 2nd ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford2005https://doi.org/10.1093/med:psych/9780195165791.001.0001
Office of the Surgeon General. Mental Health: A Report of the Surgeon General. https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBHS. Published 1999. Accessed August 21, 2017.
CDC. Public health system and the 10 essential public health services—NPHPSP. www.cdc.gov/nphpsp/essentialservices.html. Published 2013. Accessed August 21, 2017.
- Moving from intersection to integration: public health law research and public health systems and services research.Milbank Q. 2012; 90: 375-408https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-0009.2012.00667.x
- Comparing methods of racial and ethnic disparities measurement across different settings of mental health care.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 825-847https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01100.x
- Residential segregation, geographic proximity and type of services used: evidence for racial/ethnic disparities in mental health.Soc Sci Med. 2013; 80: 67-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.11.024
- Assessing the individual, neighborhood, and policy predictors of disparities in mental health care.Med Care Res Rev. 2017; 74: 404-430https://doi.org/10.1177/1077558716646898
- Revisiting the behavioral model and access to medical care: does it matter?.J Health Soc Behav. 1995; 36: 1-10https://doi.org/10.2307/2137284
- Race/ethnicity and geographic access to Medicaid substance use disorder treatment facilities in the United States.JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; 71: 190-196https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.3575
- Local public health systems and the incidence of sexually transmitted diseases.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 1773-1781https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300497
- Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications and Data Analysis Methods.University of Chicago Press, Chicago2002
- An extension of the blinder-oaxaca decomposition technique to logit and probit models.J Econ Soc Meas. 2005; 30: 305-316
- Identification in detailed wage decompositions.Rev Econ Stat. 1999; 81: 154-157https://doi.org/10.1162/003465399767923908
- Racial and ethnic disparities in use of psychotherapy: evidence from U.S. national survey data.Psy Serv. 2010; 61: 364-372https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.2010.61.4.364
- Racial and ethnic disparities in antidepressant drug use.J Ment Health Policy Econ. 2008; 11: 155-165
Simon GE. Mental health research network: a population-based approach to transform research. https://iths.pure.elsevier.com/en/projects/mental-health-research-network-a-population-based-approach-to-tra. Published 2013. Accessed August 21, 2017.
Unützer J, Harbin H, Schoenbaum M, Druss B. The collaborative care model: an approach for integrating physical and mental health care in Medicaid health homes. https://aims.uw.edu/resource-library/collaborative-care-model-approach-integrating-physical-and-mental-health-care. Published 2013. Accessed August 21, 2017.
National Institute of Mental Health. Strategic research priorities overview. www.nimh.nih.gov/about/strategic-planning-reports/strategic-research-priorities/index.shtml. Published 2016. Accessed August 21, 2017.