Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Sugar-sweetened beverages and obesity risk in children and adolescents: a systematic analysis on how methodological quality may influence conclusions.J Acad Nutr Diet. 2016; 116: 638-659https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2015.05.020
- Do sugar-sweetened beverages cause adverse health outcomes in children? A systematic review protocol.Syst Rev. 2014; 3: 96https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-3-96
- Lifetime direct medical costs of childhood obesity.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 854-862https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2014-0063
- Advanced policy options to regulate sugar-sweetened beverages to support public health.J Public Health Policy. 2012; 33: 75-88https://doi.org/10.1057/jphp.2011.46
- Sugar-sweetened beverage warning labels: lessons learned from the tobacco industry.J Calif Dent Assoc. 2016; 44: 633
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage health warning labels on parents’ choices.Pediatrics. 2016; 137: e20153185https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2015-3185
- The influence of sugar-sweetened beverage warnings: a randomized trial of adolescents’ choices and beliefs.Am J Prev Med. 2016; 51: 664-672https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2016.07.010
- Reducing sugar-sweetened beverage consumption by providing caloric information: how black adolescents alter their purchases and whether the effects persist.Am J Public Health. 2014; 104: 2417-2424https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302150
- Reduction in purchases of sugar-sweetened beverages among low-income black adolescents after exposure to caloric information.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 329-335https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2011.300350
- Effects of plain packaging, warning labels, and taxes on young people’s predicted sugar-sweetened beverage preferences: an experimental study.Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2016; 13: 95https://doi.org/10.1186/s12966-016-0421-7
- Agent-Based and Individual-Based Modeling: A Practical Introduction.Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ2011
- Simulating school closure strategies to mitigate an influenza epidemic.J Public Health Manag Pract. 2010; 16: 252-261https://doi.org/10.1097/PHH.0b013e3181ce594e
- A computer simulation of vaccine prioritization, allocation, and rationing during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.Vaccine. 2010; 28: 4875-4879https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2010.05.002
- Modeling the economic and health impact of increasing children’s physical activity in the United States.Health Aff (Millwood). 2017; 36: 902-908https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2016.1315
- The benefits to all of ensuring equal and timely access to influenza vaccines in poor communities.Health Aff (Millwood). 2011; 30: 1141-1150https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2010.0778
- A computer simulation of employee vaccination to mitigate an influenza epidemic.Am J Prev Med. 2010; 38: 247-257https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2009.11.009
- Synthesized Population Databases: A U.S. Geospatial Database for Agent-Based Models. RTI Press Publication No. MR-0010-0905.RTI Press, Research Triangle Park, NC2009https://doi.org/10.3768/rtipress.2009.mr.0010.0905
- Human growth and body weight dynamics: an integrative systems model.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e114609https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0114609
- Increasing caloric contribution from sugar-sweetened beverages and 100% fruit juices among U.S. children and adolescents, 1988–2004.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e1604-e1614https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2007-2834
- Healthy Eating for a Healthy Weight. Cutting Calories.Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity, Atlanta, GA2015
- Dynamics of childhood growth and obesity: development and validation of a quantitative mathematical model.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2013; 1: 97-105https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(13)70051-2
U.S. Census Bureau. American Community Survey, Response Rates. www.census.gov/acs/www/methodology/sample-size-and-data-quality/response-rates/. Accessed November 20, 2017.
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data.U.S. DHHS, CDC, Hyattsville, MD2013
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data.U.S. DHHS, CDC, Hyattsville, MD20132014
ReferenceUSA. 2011 Historical Business Database. www.referenceusa.com/Home/Home. Accessed October 6, 2017.
- NCHS. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data.U.S. DHHS, CDC, Hyattsville, MD20102012
Baltimore City: Demographics and Social Determinants of Health (2005–2009). Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. https://phpa.health.maryland.gov/OEHFP/EH/tracking/Shared%20Documents/County-Profiles/DHMH%20Sources%20and%20Explanations%20Ver%201.5.pdf. Accessed November 17, 2017.
Babey SH, Wolstein J, Diamant AL, Bloom A, Goldstein H. Overweight and obesity among children by California cities-2010. UCLA Center for Health Policy Research and California Center for Public Health Advocacy. https://cbsla.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/patchworkcities6-4-12.pdf. Published June 2012. Accessed November 17, 2017.
- Overview of Chronic Disease and Healthy Eating and Active Living Indicators for Philadelphia Adults and Children. 2011; (Accessed November 20, 2017)
- Trends in sugar-sweetened beverage consumption among youth and adults in the United States: 1999–2010.Am J Clin Nutr. 2013; 98: 180-188https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.112.057943
- Critical periods in childhood for the development of obesity.Am J Clin Nutr. 1994; 59: 955-959
- 2015 Reading Trial Urban District Snapshot Report: Baltimore City, Grade 8, Public Schools.U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC2015
- 2015 Mathematics & Reading Assessments, District Trends, Philadelphia.U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC2015
- Reading State Snapshot Report, California, Grade 8, Public Schools. The Nation’s Report Card.U.S. Department of Education, Washington, DC2015
- 2015 Poverty Guidelines.Office of the Assistant Secretary For Planning and Evaluation, Washington, DC2015
- Evaluating the impact of menu labeling on food choices and intake.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 312-318https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.160226
- Menu labels displaying the kilocalorie content or the exercise equivalent: effects on energy ordered and consumed in young adults.Am J Health Promot. 2015; 29: 294-302https://doi.org/10.4278/ajhp.130522-QUAN-267
- Measuring weight outcomes for obesity intervention strategies: the case of a sugar-sweetened beverage tax.Econ Hum Biol. 2011; 9: 329-341https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ehb.2011.08.007
California Health Interview Survey. CHIS 2014 Adolescent Public Use File. UCLA Center for Health Policy Research. http://healthpolicy.ucla.edu/chis/data/Pages/GetCHISData.aspx. Accessed November 17, 2017.
National Center for Health Statistics. 2014. www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/nhis_2014_data_release.htm. Accessed November 17, 2017.
- Characterization of the feeding inhibition and neural activation produced by dorsomedial hypothalamic cholecystokinin administration.Neuroscience. 2008; 152: 178-188https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroscience.2007.12.004
- Food store availability and neighborhood characteristics in the United States.Prev Med. 2007; 44: 189-195https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2006.08.008
- Where Do Americans Usually Shop for Food and How Do They Travel to Get There?: Initial Findings from the National Household Food Acquisition and Purchase Survey.U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC2015
- Health warning messages on tobacco products: a review.Tob Control. 2011; 20: 327-337https://doi.org/10.1136/tc.2010.037630
- The use of visual warnings in social marketing: the case of tobacco.J Bus Res. 2011; 64: 7-11https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2009.09.012
- Estimating the potential of taxes on sugar-sweetened beverages to reduce consumption and generate revenue.Prev Med. 2011; 52: 413-416https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2011.03.013