Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Tobacco product use among adults—United States, 2013–2014.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 685-691https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6527a1
- Trends and factors related to smokeless tobacco use in the United States.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 1740-1748https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw090
- The NSDUH Report: Trends in Smokeless Tobacco Use and Initiation: 2002 to 2012.SAMHSA; July 24, Rockville, MD2014
- Trends in awareness and use of electronic cigarettes among U.S. adults, 2010–2013.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 219-227https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu191
- Trends in electronic cigarette use among U.S. adults: use is increasing in both smokers and nonsmokers.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 1195-1202https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu213
- QuickStats: Cigarette smoking status among current adult e-cigarette users, by age group—National Health Interview Survey, United States, 2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1177https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6542a7
- Patterns of electronic cigarette use among adults in the United States.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 715-719https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv237
- Use of electronic nicotine delivery systems and other tobacco products among USA adults, 2014: results from a national survey.Int J Public Health. 2016; 61: 177-188https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-015-0761-0
- The potential that electronic nicotine delivery systems can be a disruptive technology: results from a national survey.Nicotine Tob Res. 2016; 18: 1989-1997https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw102
- Characterizing use patterns and perceptions of relative harm in dual users of electronic and tobacco cigarettes.Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2015; 23: 494-503https://doi.org/10.1037/pha0000050
- Use of e-cigarettes among current smokers: associations among reasons for use, quit intentions, and current tobacco use.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 1228-1234https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntv003
- Reasons for starting and stopping electronic cigarette use.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014; 11: 10345-10361https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph111010345
- Electronic nicotine delivery system (electronic cigarette) awareness, use, reactions and beliefs: a systematic review.Tob Control. 2014; 23: 375-384https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2013-051122
- Prevalence and correlates of switching to another tobacco product to quit smoking cigarettes.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 622-627https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu181
- The use and perception of electronic cigarettes and snus among the U.S. population.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e79332https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0079332
Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act. U.S. Public Law 111–31, H.R. 1256. www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-111publ31/pdf/PLAW-111publ31.pdf.
- Deeming tobacco products to be subject to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, as amended by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act.Fed Regist. 2016; 81 (www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2016-05-10/pdf/2016-10685.pdf): 28974-29106
- Effectiveness of the electronic cigarette: an eight-week Flemish study with six-month follow-up on smoking reduction, craving and experienced benefits and complaints.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2014; 11: 11220-11248https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph111111220
- Effectiveness and tolerability of electronic cigarette in real-life: a 24-month prospective observational study.Intern Emerg Med. 2014; 9: 537-546https://doi.org/10.1007/s11739-013-0977-z
- EffiCiency and Safety of an eLectronic cigAreTte (ECLAT) as tobacco cigarettes substitute: a prospective 12-month randomized control design study.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e66317https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0066317
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation: a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1629-1637https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(13)61842-5
- A longitudinal analysis of electronic cigarette use and smoking cessation.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 812-813https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2014.187
- Electronic cigarettes for smoking cessation.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 9: CD010216https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD010216.pub3
- Snus undermines quit attempts but not abstinence: a randomised clinical trial among U.S. smokers.Tob Control. 2017; 26: 202-209https://doi.org/10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2015-052783
- Snus as a smoking cessation aid: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.Nicotine Tob Res. 2012; 14: 306-312https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntr214
- Randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of Swedish snus for smoking reduction and cessation.Harm Reduct J. 2011; 8: 25https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7517-8-25
- Smoking cessation with smokeless tobacco and group therapy: an open, randomized, controlled trial.Nicotine Tob Res. 2008; 10: 1365-1372https://doi.org/10.1080/14622200802238969
- Prevalence of population smoking cessation by electronic cigarette use status in a national sample of recent smokers.Addict Behav. 2018; 76: 129-134https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2017.08.002
CDC. 2012–2013 National Adult Tobacco Survey sample design and methodology summary. www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/nats/pdfs/2012-2013-nats-methodology-final.pdf. Published January 2015.
CDC. 2013–2014 National Adult Tobacco Survey (NATS) sample design and methodology report. www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/surveys/nats/pdfs/2014-methodology-report-tag508.pdf. Published January 2016.
- Quitting smoking among adults—United States, 2000–2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2017; 65: 1457-1464https://doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6552a1
- Has smoking cessation increased? An examination of the U.S. adult smoking cessation rate 1990–2014.Nicotine Tob Res. 2017; 19: 1418-1424https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntw239
- Trends in serious quit attempts in the United States, 2009–14.Addiction. 2017; 112: 897-900https://doi.org/10.1111/add.13712
- Cigarette users’ interest in using or switching to electronic nicotine delivery systems for smokeless tobacco for harm reduction, cessation, or novelty: a cross-sectional survey of U.S. adults.Nicotine Tob Res. 2015; 17: 245-255https://doi.org/10.1093/ntr/ntu103
- A systematic review of transitions between cigarette and smokeless tobacco product use in the United States.BMC Public Health. 2015; 15: 258https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-1594-8